Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Joya de Nicaragua - Antano Dark Corojo
nutcracker 09:02 PM 05-14-2014
Following the advice of some asylum members I picked up a Nicaraguan puro - a torpedo - about 56 gauge.

The wrapper was dark, almost black, softish at the head, with a mixture of colors obvious when looking at it head on. It lit with no problems, setting off voluminous blue smoke. The cigar has heft - full bodied dark flavours - coffee, earthiness.

It burned slowly, changing character about halfway through, seemingly less flavor but more nicotine buzz. The ash fell off regularly, almost like a short fill cigar. It went out twice, and the re-lights were uneven, the filler burning faster than the wrapper, becoming a messy cigar from an ash production point of view. The third time it went out I gave up on it.

The aftertaste lingered only for a short time.

Overall the cigar has in my mind some major construction issues, and frankly the flavor was quite uninteresting. A disappointment, considering the good things I'd heard about it.

Honduras next. Suggestions?
[Reply]
badbriar 09:22 PM 05-14-2014
Honduras next. Suggestions?
If you like Honduran cigars, try a Camacho Triple Maduro in the 11/18 vitola.
Uber tasty stick! :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 10:34 PM 05-14-2014
Camacho Triple Maduro is an exceptional smoke, but don't neglect:
Camacho Corojo
Punch Gran Puro
Gran Habano # 3 or #5
Saint Luis Rey

some of my favorite Honduras
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 07:21 AM 05-15-2014
Shame to hear about the "meh" experience. That JdN is on my short list to try soon. Did it have any rest time that you know of?

Also, can't say enough about the Camacho Triple Maddie. I had one before they changed wrapper (and blend?).
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:21 AM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
Shame to hear about the "meh" experience. That JdN is on my short list to try soon. Did it have any rest time that you know of?
JdN's are massive nicotine cigars that will put most smokers down for the count. Very powerful as are most Nicaraguan cigars. I find their thinner gauge cigars to be their best effort.
[Reply]
dave 09:32 AM 05-15-2014
These like to be rather dry before being burned. I find them to burn straighter and less chance of bitterness if they're on the dry side.
[Reply]
badbriar 10:06 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by dave:
These like to be rather dry before being burned. I find them to burn straighter and less chance of bitterness if they're on the dry side.
I agree with Dave on these are better slightly dry. Actually, the Dark Corojo in the Azaroza vitola is my favorite. Excellent flavors, good draw and burn.
Don't give up on these sticks. Try the smaller size and dry box for a couple of days. Worth the time for sure! :-)
[Reply]
Brian D. 05:59 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
JdN's are massive nicotine cigars that will put most smokers down for the count. Very powerful as are most Nicaraguan cigars. I find their thinner gauge cigars to be their best effort.
As of late I tried the smaller ones and tend to agree with your statement. Satisfied enough after the first one to grab a box of them.
[Reply]
Ratters 06:17 PM 05-23-2014
I had the same reaction when I smoked my first one. But I love JdNs so I picked up a box on principle and stuck it in the bottom of the cooler. 9 months later I pulled one out and it smoked great, lots of flavor and big billowing clouds of smoke.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 06:24 PM 05-23-2014
I think the 5 x 44 Peligroso is the best vitola on these. Try one of these before you give up on JDN. Also, the Antano 1970 may be more to you liking.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:13 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by Ratters:
9 months later I pulled one out and it smoked great, lots of flavor and big billowing clouds of smoke.
For sure you'll get a lot of rich smoke out of their cigars. I like JdN's when I want to get as far away from a Habanos in flavor for a change.
[Reply]
Xolotal Mungin 10:37 PM 05-27-2014
Maybe try the Cabinettas.. very different JdN.
[Reply]
Up