Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Kentucky bourbon trail?
big a 05:32 PM 01-03-2014
Not sure if this the right section so if it's not please move.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has done this? A couple buddies and I want to try and do this something this year. Are all the stops worth it? Or any input would be great
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:41 PM 01-03-2014
I've only done the Makers Mark tour. That one is well worth it.
[Reply]
Zane 06:02 PM 01-03-2014
I also have only done the makers mark tour but it was great. The bourbon balls!
[Reply]
The Poet 07:46 PM 01-03-2014
(Obligatory joke follows)

I tried following that trail once, but didn't make it very far.

(Rimshot)
[Reply]
Heavy_d 09:26 PM 01-03-2014
The Buffalo Trace tour is pretty awesome. Loved the samples at the end! :-)
[Reply]
hammondc 10:21 PM 01-03-2014
I went on that trail years ago. Had to stop. Kid got dysentery while were were fording the river. I lost a wheel and a bag of rabbits.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:45 AM 01-04-2014
It's on my to-do list after the wife retires.
[Reply]
dijit 06:59 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by Zane:
I never knew bourbons had balls
[Reply]
Zane 07:36 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by dijit:
A Bourbon ball is either of two forms of bite-size confections incorporating bourbon as an ingredient.
The most common variation for home cooks is regional to the southern United States and incorporates crushed cookies, corn syrup, chopped pecans, and bourbon into a mixture that is formed into balls and coated in powdered sugar to prevent the evaporation of the alcohol. Once molded they are aged for up to a week, in a sealed container in a cool dark place, before serving. They will keep for up to a month before becoming too feeble to pick up in one piece as the evaporation process desiccates the packed structure of the cookie.
Another variation has a similar filling, but with a chocolate exterior. The filling can also be similar to a truffle or a cherry cordial, with bourbon added.
Using other types of alcohol one can make rum balls, flavored vodka balls or liqueur balls.

:-)
[Reply]
Heavy_d 08:18 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by dijit:
Only the male ones.

Originally Posted by hammondc:
I went on that trail years ago. Had to stop. Kid got dysentery while were were fording the river. I lost a wheel and a bag of rabbits.
No no no... That's the Oregon Trail! :-):-)
[Reply]
MrClean 08:47 AM 01-04-2014
A Bourbon ball is either of two forms of bite-size confections incorporating bourbon as an ingredient.
The most common variation for home cooks is regional to the southern United States and incorporates crushed cookies, corn syrup, chopped pecans, and bourbon into a mixture that is formed into balls and coated in powdered sugar to prevent the evaporation of the alcohol. Once molded they are aged for up to a week, in a sealed container in a cool dark place, before serving. They will keep for up to a month before becoming too feeble to pick up in one piece as the evaporation process desiccates the packed structure of the cookie.
Another variation has a similar filling, but with a chocolate exterior. The filling can also be similar to a truffle or a cherry cordial, with bourbon added.
Using other types of alcohol one can make rum balls, flavored vodka balls or liqueur balls.

:-)
So basically, what I'm taking away from this Zane, is......I need to eat them all...and very quickly? :-)
[Reply]
Zane 09:03 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by MrClean:
So basically, what I'm taking away from this Zane, is......I need to eat them all...and very quickly? :-)
Exactly.
[Reply]
big a 09:06 AM 01-04-2014
Thanks for the input everyone. I will at the least be doing a day trip to a couple of the stops sometime this year.
[Reply]
macsauce13 09:06 AM 01-04-2014
I'm from Lexington and have done them all. It is entirely worth it. The factories are beautiful and full of history. They all have free tastings afterwards and really interesting merchandise that can sometimes only be purchased on the property. Some of them will actually let you try unproduced products as well. I've tried several different mash recipes, some of their "white dog" recipes and other things.

It's worth it if you love bourbon like I do!
[Reply]
Theo Cincy 10:04 AM 01-04-2014
I agree with above. You may be able to buy a bourbon trail package that drives you from location to location. One of my buddies did this a few years ago. I don't know if it still exists.
[Reply]
smokin5 12:25 PM 01-04-2014
Still sounds like another term for 'whiskey dick' to me. :-)
[Reply]
bruceolee 03:42 PM 01-04-2014
Always wanted to do this. As has been said before while visiting a distillery you get a chance to purchase products not released to the general public. I was at stranahan's distillery in Denver a few years ago and purchased a VERY limited single barrel. It didn't even have a normal label. Just the basic info you see a lot of nowadays in any single barrel bourbon. lot# proof and so on but DAMN was it good. Now I must do the bourbon trail eventually. Sorry I know that doesn't add anything to the thread but it's on my bucket list. :-)
[Reply]
Up