Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>habanero peppers
wrench turner 85 10:29 AM 10-05-2009
what are you guys talking about. There not that hot. hell I use a hand full of these peppers on a cheese burger, and then I go to the creek with my intertube and well lets just say it burns more comming out then going in. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:30 PM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
When I make a batch of chili I use about 8 or so seeds and all. You get some heat but not to much. They're pretty tasty.:-)
WTF??? I placed two in a pot of chili and could barely eat it!!!

Eight??? Are you sure???

[Reply]
croatan 12:39 PM 10-05-2009
Good in chili. Good in salsa. Can be fun in bbq sauce. Just have to know your audience with them and make sure to warn those who don't like hot foods.
[Reply]
T.G 01:50 PM 10-05-2009
Reason # 1756 that there is somehting fundimentally wrong with me: Habenero's are not hot, now, dorset naga's (ghost peppers), those are hot.

Most peppers have a problem of that they are not unique in their flavor, so many taste so similiar that they are all just meh. Habeneros are fantastic peppers, they have a wonderfully unique, distinctive and unmistakable flavor. No other pepper tastes like them.

I'll use them in damn near anything I can get away with using them in.

Here, something mild to start you out with - Alton Brown's Habenero-Pineapple ice cream topping:
Ingredients
1 can pineapple chunks
1 habanero pepper, minced
4 fresh mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
1 cup corn oil
2 large corn tortillas, cut into wedges
1 cup sugar and cinnamon mixture
Directions

In a small saucepan, combine pineapple chunks, habanero pepper, and mint leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Cool thoroughly and remove mint.

In a large saute pan, bring 1 cup of corn oil to 325 degrees F. Add wedges of corn tortillas and cook until golden brown on each side, approximately 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Liberally dust warm corn wedges with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Serve pineapple salsa over ice cream with the fried corn tortillas.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Wonderfully distinctive and because of the ice cream, all but the most sensitive of eaters can handle it and still be able to enjoy the wonderful flavor of the habenero.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 04:34 PM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by itsme_timd:
One of my friends showed me simple way to dry these and make a great chili powder.

Heat your oven up as hot as it will go. Wash and remove the stems from the peppers. Make sure they are dry and then spread them on a heavy pan. Put the pan in the oven and turn the oven OFF. Let them stay in there for 24 hours.

You can take these and grind them with a mortar and pestle, I have a cheap coffee grinder that I use for spices. Put this in a jar and use it sparingly to heat things up!

FYI - Watch out for the airborne powder when grinding, it can be a kicker, too.
My buddies did this but used a food dehydrator to dry the peppers... It was like someone sprayed mace in their basement...
[Reply]
STYX&STONED 09:06 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
Chop one or two up fine and put them in your favorite cheesy potato recipe. My wife makes it all the time and everybody loves it.
Lynn's cheesy tators KICK A$$!!!
[Reply]
G G 09:28 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
Most peppers have a problem of that they are not unique in their flavor, so many taste so similiar that they are all just meh. Habeneros are fantastic peppers, they have a wonderfully unique, distinctive and unmistakable flavor. No other pepper tastes like them.
They taste like a wet goat smells.:-)
[Reply]
pmwz 12:06 PM 11-11-2009
i bought last year a couple of orange habaneros at a local shop and didnt think they were too hot for me. i decided to grow some on our balcony (orange +choclate habaneros) and they are way too hot for me.
i froze most of them and will probably make some kind of hot sauce early next year.
[Reply]
Jbailey 02:36 PM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
WTF??? I placed two in a pot of chili and could barely eat it!!!

Eight??? Are you sure???
I got a mini chopper and finely chop them up to almost a liquid state. Pour them into the chili and let it cook slow for a day.
[Reply]
bigswol2 03:18 PM 11-11-2009
Puree them with olive oil and put them in the freezer. Scrape some out and use it whenever heat is needed for a dish.
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 01:10 PM 11-17-2009
let me know what you decide to do. I am a HUGE pepper nut, and alot of people are scared away from the Chinense variety because of the heat, But they never got a chance to see PAST the heat, and get to the flavor...

IMHO The Chinense (habanero) pepper family is the Fruitiest, tastiest pepper of all, Just smell one if you cant taste it because of the heat and you tell me, Does that not smell like something delicious? And the taste IS, but if you cannot get beyond the heat i do not blame you.

What was already said, De-rib, de-seed, and that helps alot ( wear rubber gloves unless you want to battle the HOT hands.. and everything they touch war haha)

Use them sparingly in soups, etc Anything really, Sandwiches, If you have a ton left, FREEZE them before they go bad, they will last until they are used i promise you. And hell if your not to much into the heat make a bad ARSE salsa with them, if you need a recipe let me know :-) Have a milder one with just 1-2 habs in a large batch, and make another one "HOTT" for friends family, because everyone wants to be seen eating the HOT stuff around there friends ( even though they cant handle it :-) )

enjoy bud
[Reply]
slickster81 04:34 AM 11-18-2009
Make a batch of my Java Wing sauce, (original recipe follows)

but substitute:

roasted habaneros for the chipoltle peppers and Louisana hot sauce.
1 cup mango
1 cup pineapple (*use the juice to thin the sauce)
cut back on the brown sugar (add more as necessary to help cut the heat). Cook for 20-30 minutes instead of the 10.

“Java” Wing Sauce
Named for my good friend, Rob “Java” Pilon

1 12 oz. Bottle Original Louisiana hot sauce.
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (1 1/2 cups for “sweet spicy”)
¼ Cup olive oil.
1 can Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.(Embassa brand is best)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin.
1 tsp garlic powder.
1 1/2 tsp onion powder.
1 tsp ground thyme.
1 ½ tsp cracked black pepper.
4 large cloves garlic, chopped coarse.
½ Cup dry white wine, beer, or (gasp!) water. **

Put all ingredients EXCEPT for the wine, beer or water, in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, add enough of ** to bring the volume to 1 quart, blend again briefly, then pour mixture into a sauce pan and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes, cool and store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.

To make the “Java” Wings.
For each 3 lbs wings:
1 cup wing sauce, warmed. (more if you like them really sloppy!)
¼ cup melted butter or margarine, combined with warmed sauce.

Cook your wings in any manner you desire, when the wings are done, put in a large bowl and toss well with the sauce.

(I marinate my wings for an hour in a “brine” of 1/2 cup malt vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1Tb. fresh cracked black pepper, then grill over medium heat, the vinegar helps give you a crispier skin)

Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing, celery sticks and beverage of the day.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up