Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto
mmblz 08:27 AM 10-14-2008
This is one of my early reviews (2005). Just goes to show how tastes change :-)

I don't particularly like the Rocky Patel label design, but other than that this cigar looked ok..

Lit it up and it started out just OK. In the first third I noticed that it wanted to burn hot - the faster I smoked it, the better it tasted. After that, it heated up on its own, and started to taste really good with each draw. Medium-strong, complex, well-balanced. I could see why people rave about the vintage line. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's worth putting up with the first part to get to the rest.
I'll probably try at least one more, but unless it is more consistent start to finish, I'm not sure it's worth it.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:35 PM 10-14-2008
As always, one of my favs. Love the 1990. Nice review.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:45 PM 10-14-2008
Nice review!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:56 AM 10-15-2008
This is a review from May 07

Some time ago I got myself a Rocky Patel vintage 1990 robusto, a 140mm long ring 50 cigar made with a 12 year old Honduran broadleaf wrapper and a 7 year old filler and binder. This particular cigar received a ‘best of the best’ at the 2004 Robb report and a 92 score at Cigar Aficionado so my expectations were high.

It is a beautiful cigar, pretty wrapper, nice stylish band, a real looker and it also feels good. The predraw was light and easy and lighting this cigar was a piece of cake. An easy draw but no flavor. It took a few puffs to finally get a flavor and it was very light leather which grows stronger when I reach the 1/3rd point where a hint of cacao and a light fresh sour flavor also enter my palate. Somewhere around the half of the cigar the cacao grows a bit stronger but it’s still to light for my taste.

The ash is beautiful, white & gray and firm of construction. Just before I reach the half of the cigar the burn starts to get crooked so I have to correct. My correction was just a short success because the burn keeps on getting crooked and I keep on correcting. It is hard to keep this cigar burning correctly

This cigar is mild bodied, way too mild for me. Maybe I should try the 1992 vintage, that cigar is medium to full bodied according to the Rocky Patel website.

Would I buy this cigar again? No.
[Reply]
Coz77 06:39 AM 10-15-2008
Nice review...Me and RP can't see eye to eye...I do however like the Fire Corojo lonsdale :-)

Or should I say DID... I think they are discontinued! :-)
[Reply]
Up