Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>At a Crossroads!
BHowe 11:11 AM 12-26-2008
So I need a little input from the collective minds of the Asylum.

I've been smoking for about 9 months now and to make a longer story short, my first humi is full. I mean full, not room for one more stick.

When I started to really get into the hobby I told myself no box purchases until I really learned the stuff that I like and don't like. I think I'm finally at that point.

So here's the question. Since I know I'm only going to keep slippen and sliden do I go ahead and pony up for the Vino, or do I make some type of cooler setup for the time being? Ease of maintenance and a little integrity for my future investments is obviously the biggest points.

So let's hear from some of you that have already been down the path.........

Brandon :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:24 AM 12-26-2008
If you temps in your house are typically 70 or below I think going with a cooler is a great idea. In Florida that is really not an option, so Vino it is for me. That being said, if you can find a 28 bottle Vino I would get it as you won't be disappointed and I don't think you will be able to find them at all for very much longer.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:26 AM 12-26-2008
Cooler. Vino's are a bit hard to find right now and you have no need for temp control for a few more months. The beads and hygrometer you buy for the cooler can be used in a Vinotemp. Just pick up a few empty boxes for storage at your local B&M and you should be set. But go with something decent size 60-100qt.
[Reply]
ucla695 11:33 AM 12-26-2008
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
If you temps in your house are typically 70 or below I think going with a cooler is a great idea. In Florida that is really not an option, so Vino it is for me. That being said, if you can find a 28 bottle Vino I would get it as you won't be disappointed and I don't think you will be able to find them at all for very much longer.

:-) The temperature control aspect can definitely bring peace of mind if you're in a warm climate.
[Reply]
BHowe 11:37 AM 12-26-2008
We do get pretty warm here in Oklahoma.
[Reply]
robertw1249 11:58 AM 12-26-2008
i would go with a cooler here a few pics of my 150qt colman that im trying to get started you can get them at walmart for a little over $70 bucks if the dont have it in the store you can order online and the ship it free to the walmart where you live
[Reply]
BHowe 12:18 PM 12-26-2008
The more I think about it the more I probably will need temp control.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:22 PM 12-26-2008
Originally Posted by BHowe:
The more I think about it the more I probably will need temp control.
If that is the case I would look for a Vino on eBay. While the price is more that most of us paid, I still think they are a good value.
[Reply]
robertw1249 12:28 PM 12-26-2008
i look at a vino and a cooler i like the cooler better there is a lot more room in a 150qt cooler than the vino i was looking at and i live in nebraska and the temp thing is not a big deal here
[Reply]
Yazzie 12:53 PM 12-26-2008
Cooler hands down....Get a bunch of 65% Beads, a fan or two and have fun playing Tetris..... :-)

Coolers are low maintenance and great for RH control
[Reply]
BHowe 12:55 PM 12-26-2008
Actual storage space won't be that big of a concern. As I doubt I will ever own more then 10 boxes at a time.
[Reply]
robertw1249 01:03 PM 12-26-2008
you say that your only going to have 10 boxes now but wait you will out grow it thats the way this hobby gos you need to think biger than you need it will save you money in the long run :-)
[Reply]
BHowe 01:08 PM 12-26-2008
:-)
[Reply]
brigey57 03:30 PM 12-26-2008
If you didn't get a chance to see the thread "Storage OPTIONS and "DRY BOXING"? Here it is." you may wish to check this out before you decide on a solution for your storage needs.
Originally Posted by TOB9595:
So I have all these WONDERFUL sticks of cigars.

In all sorts of containers...
NICE containers..VERY cool to use and look at.

And others that do the job of maintaining humidity but look TACKY...

These are good for letting your cigars rest after the trip to your house. Imagine the stresses that the sticks have gone through. Pressure changes and temperature changes. Jarring and jolting. It is my belief that a cigar stick benefits from resting in a controlled humidity with no temperature swings. My basement is a wonderful smooth temperature environment. YES! Even living in Jersey with the cold and hot temps outside; the basement doesn't have great or violent swings in temperature. It is moderate year round under the ground.

The pretty containers are subject to more temperature and humidity swings on my first floor family areas. So the nice boxes need more attention than the big, ugly boxes. Not only ambient environmental changes but opening and closing the boxes let out my precious moisture.

Even with all the care I give to maintaining humidity of 65% and 70% I sometimes get a PLUGGED cigar. Sure, I can poke holes in it with a skewer of some sort, I can cut more of the cap off in hopes of getting more draw...
USUALLY none of these succeed and I have to DRY BOX

This is nothing more than letting the plugged stick sit in a non-controlled yet buffered environment.

No humidification...just sittin there and slowly drying out.
This drying out WILL enable you to draw through the cigar. Differences in the physical makeup of binder and filler sometimes need to DRY BOX for a day or a COUPLE of WEEKS.....
This is just part of the CIGAR EXPERIENCE. Rather than saying the cigar sucked and you toss out what you have heard is a great tasting cigar....let it sit in a DRY BOX. You may end up with a tasty experience or the stick may suck and you toss it

Tom

[Reply]
Tio Gato 03:43 PM 12-26-2008
Actual storage space won't be that big of a concern. As I doubt I will ever own more then 10 boxes at a time.
Hmmmm, I think I remember thinking that about 15 years ago! I am confident that you will look back on that statement and:-) have a good chuckle.

Simply put, buy the largest storage thing because you're gonna need it!
[Reply]
RichardW 03:45 PM 12-26-2008
:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 03:48 PM 12-26-2008
Coolerdor!
[Reply]
BengalMan 04:26 PM 12-26-2008
Always buy bigger than what you think you'll need. I started with a 50ct. desktop, I now I have a 3,000 count cabinet, a 28 bottle vino, and 3 50qt coolers and am contemplating another cabinet......

BUY BIGGER!
[Reply]
BHowe 06:44 PM 12-26-2008
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys.
[Reply]
Up