Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Vinotemp Humidity ?
Cenookie 12:11 PM 12-22-2008
I've used the search function but couldn't find anything that answered my question.This question is for the guys/gals that aim for 65%RH in their Vinotemps. I have 1 1/2 pounds of Heartfelt beads, 2 Oust fans, 4 drawers, and 1 shelf from Mtmouse inside. The problem is I have a reading of 63%RH at the top and 67% at the bottom. I've not added any new smoke lately(althought I'm waiting on the mailman). Anyone else have/had this problem, and if so how did you correct it. On a side note just salt tested all hyrgos, they are all calibarted, drain hole is plugged, and temp is at 68F.:-):-):-) HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Darrell 12:14 PM 12-22-2008
Have you tried taking half a pound out, or drying them out?

Honestly, I don't pay that much attention to my humidity anymore. As long as it's not over 70 or under 60, I am fine.
[Reply]
GKitty 12:16 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by Darrell:

Honestly, I don't pay that much attention to my humidity anymore. As long as it's not over 70 or under 60, I am fine.
I can't wait for this day to come. I'm still OCD about mine.

Don't have a vino though, so I'm no help here.

:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 12:18 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by GKitty:
I can't wait for this day to come. I'm still OCD about mine.
It took me about a year to come around. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:20 PM 12-22-2008
I dont see the problem. 63 and 67 rh with a +/- margin of error on each hygrometer of 2% puts you well within the acceptable parameters. I honestly do not understand the obsession with Rh. If you sticks are not moldy and they smoke good, then what is the problem??? It aint that big of a deal. :-)
[Reply]
acarr 12:32 PM 12-22-2008
How long has it been since you started seasoning it. I have the same shelves and just use a glass of distilled water as my humidifier. It takes a week or two for those shelves and drawers to really get the moisture drawn into them. Mine sits at anywhere from 67 to 68 with just the glass at all times but it is in a very dry climate and the drain is not plugged.
[Reply]
nozero 12:40 PM 12-22-2008
Happy Holidays to you as well!

As they've said, I think your RH is fine. What is your target RH?
[Reply]
Cenookie 10:03 PM 12-22-2008
Thanks for the reply's I guess I'm just being anal about the RH. Hear so much about my RH being rock steady at such and such. Oh what the heck!

:-) HAPPY HOLIDAYS :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 10:28 PM 12-22-2008
Maybe your shelves and drawers havent been seasoned long enough?

With the built in fan on the Vinotemp circulating air I only measure RH from one location in the vinotemp. You honestly don't need any other additional fans in the vino since that fan runs 24/7 even when its not cooling.
[Reply]
Swampper 01:54 AM 12-23-2008
Yeah, I get the same thing. 1 pound of Heartfelt 65% rh beads in my Vinotemp, got 2 or 3 hydrometers in there. They read different rh all the time, but Darrell is right. Don't sweat it unless you go outside the 60 - 70% range.

On average most of my sticks smoke just fine.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:20 AM 12-23-2008
My vino reads 68 at the bottom 70 at the top. I don't run the fan and the temp in my basement is 60*. Where is your vino stored?
[Reply]
goalie204 09:06 AM 12-23-2008

I think i could be that person too. Cept im at 55% (no vino yet tho)
[Reply]
blckthree 11:52 AM 12-23-2008

I hit 59% in one humi and almost panicked! Winter is drying out the whole house and we really don't have winter in Oklahoma.

I feel for you guys in MN, ND, WI, MI, PA, MT, etc, where it is below zero and who knows if there is any humidity at all in the air!

Mike :-)
[Reply]
Cenookie 10:33 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:

With the built in fan on the Vinotemp circulating air I only measure RH from one location in the vinotemp. You honestly don't need any other additional fans in the vino since that fan runs 24/7 even when its not cooling.
Thanks I never thought of that.:-)
[Reply]
UPNSMOKE 03:59 AM 12-24-2008
Originally Posted by Cenookie:
I've used the search function but couldn't find anything that answered my question.This question is for the guys/gals that aim for 65%RH in their Vinotemps. I have 1 1/2 pounds of Heartfelt beads, 2 Oust fans, 4 drawers, and 1 shelf from Mtmouse inside. The problem is I have a reading of 63%RH at the top and 67% at the bottom. I've not added any new smoke lately(althought I'm waiting on the mailman). Anyone else have/had this problem, and if so how did you correct it. On a side note just salt tested all hyrgos, they are all calibarted, drain hole is plugged, and temp is at 68F.:-):-):-) HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you are fine, you will have that +/- and remember humidity settles at the bottom so it make since why you have the difference between the top and bottom even though I must admit the -4 is out of my range im comfortable with no more than a +/- 2, maybe 3.

Originally Posted by bobarian:
I dont see the problem. 63 and 67 rh with a +/- margin of error on each hygrometer of 2% puts you well within the acceptable parameters. I honestly do not understand the obsession with Rh. If you sticks are not moldy and they smoke good, then what is the problem??? It aint that big of a deal. :-)
I agree. :-)

Originally Posted by goalie204:
I think i could be that person too. Cept im at 55% (no vino yet tho)
55:-) I dont know about this one..
[Reply]
Up