Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>How Fast Do You Smoke???
longknocker 07:45 PM 02-04-2014
People That Know Me Know I Smoke Way Too Fast!:-) I Usually Finish A Robusto In 30-40 Minutes, A Panatela In 20 Minutes, And A Churchill In One Hour. I've Been Smoking Cigars For Over 5 Years & Still Haven't Learned To Slow Down!:-) I Usually Take A Draw Every 10-15 Seconds & Most Of My Sticks Taste A Little Harsh. "Duh"! After Kelmac Kidded Me For Smoking A Panatella In 30 Minutes, I Tried To Slow Down. This Evening I Smoked A Surrogates "Skull Breaker" (5 1/4" X 52) Which Is In The Robusto Class. I Varied My Draws Between 5 Seconds & 1.5 Minutes. The "Sweet Spot" For This Cigar Seemed To Be 1 Minute 15 Seconds. Wow!!! Flavors I Had Never Discovered Before In This Stick!:-)

Anything Longer Than That, The Cigar Went Out, Anything Shorter Than 1 Minute Between Draws Gave Me A Little Harshness. I Know Each Cigar Is Different, But What Are Your Tendencies In Smoking? Put A Timer On Your Draws & Find Out What You Like!
Opinions?

Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
Zane 07:48 PM 02-04-2014
I am a slow smoker. It all depends but usually once a minute. Quicker if it feels like it might be going out.
[Reply]
markem 07:52 PM 02-04-2014
I smoked two sir winston's just reading this thread.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:58 PM 02-04-2014
I try my best to smoke slow, it's easier with friends. I am probably about 1 minute between draws when I smoke alone, and it still seems too fast to me, Greg. But I definitely get more out of cigars, flavor wise, smoking slower.
[Reply]
Sadden 08:01 PM 02-04-2014
Hmm , well all cigars are different. For me on average it goes something like this.

Outside 45seconds-60seconds
Inside 60seconds-75 seconds

Some cigars more , some cigars less. Lanceros definitely less.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:01 PM 02-04-2014
I'm like you Greg, smoke way too fast. Maybe not as fast as you, but still to quick. I like the idea of a timer. Gonna try it next time.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:04 PM 02-04-2014
At home alone I tend to smoke a bit faster, 30 seconds between drags or so, that being said I'll put the cigar down to do some work and more often than not I will end of having to light it again and again, when herfing it depends, but I tend to slow down due to all of the conversations and things going on.
[Reply]
TFed 08:16 PM 02-04-2014
I used to smoke way to slow and had trouble keeping lit. I still prefer to smoke on the slow side but not that bad anymore.

But, in the last year i seem to be going fast, rushing, feeling like i have to hurry for some reason. I think my wife has made me feel guilty for taking so much time for just myself.

I plan to be more deliberate to enjoy it.

In fact, about 5 am in the morning im planning on a long smoke before bed (day sleeper)
Depending on the weather that is. May be shoveling the foot of snow,they say we are to get tonight.
[Reply]
longknocker 08:19 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
I smoked two sir winston's just reading this thread.
:-) Good One, Mark!:-):-)
[Reply]
longknocker 08:22 PM 02-04-2014
Thanks For The Input, My Friends!:-) It Really Did Surprise Me, Though, With The Much Improved Flavor & Complexities I Found When I Slowed Down.:-)
[Reply]
bruceolee 08:25 PM 02-04-2014
I used to smoke fast like you for many years but have change my routine up quite a bit now. I puff every 30 - 60 seconds while taking longer but steady inhales. I find the smoke cooler and more flavorful this way. I can pick up more flavor notes now than i used to. I find I enjoy the experience more now. I used to think quantity not quality but things have changed drastically for me now. I've gone from 6 - 7 cigars a day down to 3 - 4 and I'm enjoying it far more than I ever used to. It's also a huge money saver along with allowing more time to age my cigars. Just my :-) :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 08:49 PM 02-04-2014
I try to smoke slowly, some sticks won't allow that and I've noticed they tend to be more harsh. I've never timed my puffs, but I'm going to now, just for S&G's. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:51 PM 02-04-2014
Greg, I find that I smoke way too fast as well. Particularly, if all I am doing is focusing on the cigar. If I read, watch TV, talk with friends, etc. then I tend t slow down -- and enjoy my cigars more.
[Reply]
equetefue 08:54 PM 02-04-2014
depends on the cigar and vitola for me. Smaller RG i smoke slower as they turn to burn hotter and messes with the flavor profile.

Robustos and Belicosos probably 45s or so. Coronas and Lanceros around 60 sec on average
[Reply]
meatcake 09:10 PM 02-04-2014
It really depends on what I am doing. If I am relaxing with friends at B&M, I take my time. I have taken hour and half for a corona before. If I am busy doing something I tend to smoke faster. I also tend to KNOW when I will be doing something and smoke lesser cigars If I know I wont really be able to sit down and enjoy the experience. Puff a minute rule for the most part.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:16 PM 02-04-2014
I don't wear a watch, so I couldn't tell you my puff rate
(can I say 'puff' here?).
BUT average time it takes me to smoke a standard robusto
(5"x50 ring) is 80-90 minutes. And no, they don't go out.
[Reply]
Dude Here 09:23 PM 02-04-2014
I'm a pretty slow smoker. A robusto will usually last me a little over an hour. When I smoke I'm usually surfing around the internet on my phone or watching vids on YouTube and the cigar May go 2-3 minutes without getting puffed on. This is one of the big reasons why I don't usually smoke churchills. I average a little over two hours with those and I just don't have that much time to spend smoking.
[Reply]
jjirons69 09:28 PM 02-04-2014
Slow also. If I have it go out several times or more, I pick up the pace. I let the cigar tell me how to smoke it.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:45 PM 02-04-2014
I would say I'm a faster smoker, usually smoking a Robusto sized cigar in 45-50 minutes. Whenever I'm ready to take a puff, I always take two drags from the cigar -- no more, no less.
[Reply]
DirtRider500R 09:51 PM 02-04-2014
I usually do a Gran Toro in roughly an hour. That's only because it's cold outside. If it's warm or I'm with friends, that time increases greatly.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up