Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar storage question
Pipe&Cigar 06:55 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by Pyro:
Ah, you have a lot of beads and therefore a huge specific area to regulate the RH! But, why using a glass of water instead of giving the beads some extra water?
I don't keep it that way all the time... just when I am afraid I won't be able to check on them in a few weeks. Yeah I am lazy! :-)
[Reply]
RUJohnny99 09:31 PM 10-27-2008
Originally Posted by AriesOpusX:
You'll be fine, plenty of people toss the cooler in a closet and forget about it for months at a time when aging boxes. An air tight cooler won't allow the RH to fluctuate enough to be an issue.
:-)

Without opening the cooler, where's the RH going to go? By putting the humi in there, you're wearing a belt & suspenders. The beads likely won't need refreshing until you're on the back end of your trip. And you don't have to worry about mold because there won't be any extra humidity added.

I think having the wife opening up the cooler to let air exchange introduces more problems than its worth. The less untrained hands in there, the better. Just charge those beads up the night before you leave & let them babies sit undisturbed.
[Reply]
CoventryCat86 09:53 PM 10-27-2008
It depends on the RH in your house during the time. In the winter, the ambient RH tends to be very dry so it's good to check the RH inside your cooler every now and then, I'd say every two weeks or so.

I'm lucky in that even in the winter, the RH in my finished basement (where my coolerdors are) never gets below 50%. I haven't added water to my beads in over a year and a half.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 08:51 AM 10-28-2008
I think there is something being missed here...where in Alberta are you going to be? We have some BOTL's there...:-)
[Reply]
kayaker 09:03 AM 10-28-2008
In Edmonton. I already know of viesturs near by, and Silverfox in Calgary.

We should see if there are enough BOTLs for a herf.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 04:07 PM 10-29-2008
Originally Posted by Pipe&Cigar:
In the past I have placed a small glass with distilled water in it in the cooler, as the RH changes the beads should absorb or release water from the air... someone correct me if this is not a good idea please! LOL
Here in the high desert, I put a sponge soaked with distilled water on top of my beads. Not dripping or anything, just well soaked. It's usually dry within two weeks. I never spray my beads though.
[Reply]
Cyanide 12:27 AM 11-24-2008
You still in the Edmonton region?
[Reply]
kayaker 05:11 AM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by Cyanide:
You still in the Edmonton region?
Nope. I'll be back there early Jan to Late May.
[Reply]
jbo57 02:17 PM 11-24-2008
Originally Posted by kayaker:
Nope. I'll be back there early Jan to Late May.
Wow, that's a long time! Arkansas will miss you...you know you could always just bring your cigars to the herf and I'm sure there will be MANY, MANY volunteers who will step forward to watch them for you. :-)

Seriously, we'll miss you and pray everything goes well while you are up there.
[Reply]
kayaker 10:51 AM 01-08-2009
Well, I had my cooler ready to go, and was about to train in my wife on the beads, when another option appeared. I was going to take a bunch of smokes with in a small humi, and a couple of travel humis.

But I forgot to pick up the small one. So decided to just pack up my larger humi (50-70 count) and take it with me. My wife was worried about it getting damaged, so she suggested putting it in my cooler and taking that.

She forgot that the rest of my sticks were in the cooler, but with some rearranging I was able to pack my humi and the rest of my sticks and take the whole coolerador with me.

I certainly don't need them all with me, but it worked out pretty good.

Anyone in Alberta want to herf? :-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 01:15 PM 01-08-2009
should be fine, just get her to open the cooler every couple of weeks
[Reply]
kayak_rat 01:25 PM 01-08-2009
Might be a good idea to pick up a hygro that records min and max of humidity and temp. That way when she opens it to check, she knows what the humidity has been at. If it doesnt drop for three weeks then begins too......she will realize thats when the beads need to be charged.
[Reply]
TravelingJ 03:34 PM 01-08-2009
Sounds like you picked a great solution, DIY! haha. I travel with a 75ct wooden humi right now, and my vino stays at home, unattended. I did go with the small bowl of distilled water and a bunch o' beads. I had that setup from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and they were rock solid while I was gone!
[Reply]
Cyanide 04:23 PM 01-08-2009
A smoker might be a reasonable idea indeed. It might be a little dicey trying to make it all come together however...

Kayaker how long you in town for?

Next week or weekend might be a possibility for me. Unfortunately though the only venue I could offer would be a cold garage. CBaker8 may also be a possibility, but I haven't heard from him in a while (not that I keep close tabs on you all).

I am up for something.

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
JohnnyKay5 04:36 PM 01-08-2009
i still condsider myself a newb but i would have her open it up now and then
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up