Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Why don't NC cigar makers put dates on boxes?
Brooks W 02:22 PM 07-27-2010
Dude, there is a BIG difference between giving where the tobacco comes from, and the actual blend...
[Reply]
The Poet 02:23 PM 07-27-2010
Some are not "date-stamped", but are dated nonetheless. F'instance, if you look on the bottom of a box of JR Ultimates, you will see something like "07-2009" pencilled in one corner.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 02:23 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
the Colonel should list his 13 herbs and spices so I can make his chicken at home too. :-)
"He puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!"

lol
[Reply]
weak_link 02:45 PM 07-27-2010
Camacho also used to do it. A 'boxed on' date would make me happy.
[Reply]
duckmanco 02:59 PM 07-27-2010
Pepin has done it since he started, and because most other companies don't:

I grab a ball point pen/sharpie and scribble the date I ordered them (month/year) when they show up. Its super easy, and yes I know thats not when they were rolled, but at least it provides a baseline.

And I don't want to hear about the affects of the pen ink/sharpie absorbing into the wood of the box and transferring its characteristics to the cigars inside.... but I still wonder should I store them with the cello on or off after dating them? :-)
[Reply]
BigCat 03:11 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Only a fool would give you the exact blend of his cigars. I think Coca Cola should print the recipe on the can and the Colonel should list his 13 herbs and spices so I can make his chicken at home too. :-)
Coke gives you the ingredients on the can, not the recipe or "blend" of the ingredients.

Originally Posted by Brooks W:
Dude, there is a BIG difference between giving where the tobacco comes from, and the actual blend...
:-) What he said. He's just asking for the ingredients.
[Reply]
darkleeroy 03:20 PM 07-27-2010
For those weary of using sharpie, label makers are widely available :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:26 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
"He puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!"

lol
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:34 PM 07-27-2010
La Aurora Barrel Aged has a nice little tag in the box that tells you a good bit about how long the tobacco aged, when they were produced and when they were shipped from the factory.
[Reply]
Eleven 06:24 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I think they should put the roller's name and vital statistics on there too.
36-24-30

My Lucky Numbers btw!
[Reply]
hank_612 08:15 PM 07-27-2010
Ok maybe a better question would be who would be against some form of dating on the box ie vintage dating or boxed/rolled date?
[Reply]
Snake Hips 02:34 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by Brooks W:
Well, not even close, imo...I want to know where the tobacco comes from, so that If I like the flavors, I can pick up more of that specific tobacco...

~brooks
Most cigars do say where the tobaccos come from. Only generic[ish] brands/cigars, I've found, are hard to trace the contents of. Advertising often makes a pretty specific description of the contents, i.e., for example (out of my arse), "Dominican fillers complemented by Nicaraguan ligeros from the Jalapa Valley are rounded by a Mexican binder and finished with a sun-grown Connecticut Habano wrapper." In the non-Cuban world, just knowing the country of origin is enough to make a reasonable assessment of the cigar's flavors; Nicaraguan manufacturers in recent years have, mostly as marketing, began expounding on the valleys and regions their tobaccos come from ("The famous growing region of Esteli...") I don't know many brands that don't make their sources known in some form in some place.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up