Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Does it have to be a Vinotemp?
spincycle 01:08 PM 10-19-2008
I'm considering picking up a Wine Cooler to store my cigars, and get this, WINE too. :-)

Everyone here seems to own the 28 bottle Vinotemp. Any reason that specific model and company? I'm thinking about getting something larger so I can fit both wine and cigars in there. Also, looking at something a bit cheaper. Vinotemps are rather pricey!

Cheers,
spin
[Reply]
barbourjay 01:10 PM 10-19-2008
just make sure it's not ran by a compressor and you will be fine. thermoelectric is the way to go.
[Reply]
DonnieW 01:12 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by barbourjay:
just make sure it's not ran by a compressor and you will be fine. thermoelectric is the way to go.
Exactly. Watch out for some of those Danby ones, they're compressor-based (not all, but the older cheap ones).
[Reply]
SmokinApe 01:21 PM 10-19-2008
Barbourjay is correct...
[Reply]
Nimbus 01:40 PM 10-19-2008
You can pick up a Vinotemp from Target when it goes on sale for $140-$150. Call before you go because the 28 bottle model is discontinued. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:54 PM 10-19-2008
Right now they are closing out the Vinos at Target. If you can find one it should be $99. Hard to beat that!!
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 02:56 PM 10-19-2008
Get what ya pay for, might as well go for the vino. :-)
[Reply]
spincycle 03:04 PM 10-19-2008
Unfortunately we have no Targets in Canada. I'll check out WalMart though - I need to pick up some butane anyways!
[Reply]
mugwump 03:38 PM 10-19-2008
I went with an EdgeStar since I prefer the plain looking front. Vinos are certainly more popular but any thermoelectric cooler will do the job.
[Reply]
Cenookie 04:57 PM 10-19-2008
I seem to remember reading something on CS once, where it wasn't a good idea to try and store wine and cigars in the same Vinotemp. Maybe someone else has read the same tread and can direct you to it. Just my:-).
[Reply]
spincycle 05:04 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by Cenookie:
I seem to remember reading something on CS once, where it wasn't a good idea to try and store wine and cigars in the same Vinotemp. Maybe someone else has read the same tread and can direct you to it. Just my:-).
:-)

Yes, come to think about it - cigars have a rather strong smell. Might be enough to make it's way through the cork and into the wine. While that might not be so bad for a Cab Sav, it would be pretty nasty in a sav blanc.

Sigh. The sell to my significant other was that this was for wine. :-)
[Reply]
white_s2k 05:07 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by Cenookie:
I tried to search on CS but couldn't find anything.. anyone have info regarding this?
[Reply]
gnukfu 05:12 PM 10-19-2008
No it doesn't. I have a Urbina (?) darn can't remember the name I picked up on Overstock for $72 shipped - 28 bottle cooler - thermoelectric - worked great through the summer. As stated above you want to make sure you have a thermoelectric cooler in it.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:40 PM 10-19-2008
As others have said, just make sure it's thermoelectric. It will help smooth out the swings in humidity when the unit cyles on and off.
[Reply]
troutbreath 06:40 PM 10-19-2008
I had asked the question about wine and cigars together, at one time. I have a vino, but actually use it for wine.

I think the biggest issue is temperature. One might like to store wine at 55 degrees, which would lower the RH (I think?).
[Reply]
Hydrated 06:45 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by spincycle:
Yes, come to think about it - cigars have a rather strong smell. Might be enough to make it's way through the cork and into the wine. While that might not be so bad for a Cab Sav, it would be pretty nasty in a sav blanc.
I have that problem... the cigar aroma seeps right through the cardboard box and into my premium wines. :-)
[Reply]
spincycle 06:57 PM 10-19-2008
Originally Posted by Hydrated:
I have that problem... the cigar aroma seeps right through the cardboard box and into my premium wines. :-)
I have the opposite problem to worry about. Red wine flavours tainting my glass top Cohibo's. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:11 PM 10-19-2008
Makes me wonder why they are discontinuing the 28 bottle unit since they sell them out every time they stock them :-)

Stay away from compressor based units.

Chas
[Reply]
Up