Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>My air conditioner died...
area51 08:13 AM 06-18-2012
Honestly, cooler sounds like too much of a hassle. Id go back to wrapping it in a towel, reading it a bedtime story and sticking it in the fridge.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:15 AM 06-18-2012
You really should avoid any options that include ice. Condensation is not just moisture pooling on the bottom. It is extra moisture in the air -- until the air is saturated, which then forces the moisture to pool on the bottom...

Your cigars will proably be fine just as they are.
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:16 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by area51:
Honestly, cooler sounds like too much of a hassle. Id go back to wrapping it in a towel, reading it a bedtime story and sticking it in the fridge.
It looks like I have two options, one is easier and one gives me a coolerdor afterwards.
[Reply]
area51 08:17 AM 06-18-2012
Haha tempting isn't it.
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:20 AM 06-18-2012
I wanna thank everyone for talking me off of the ledge and giving me some great ideas and advice. CA BOTLs are the best!
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:22 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by area51:
Haha tempting isn't it.
Yes it is. I've been using just a desktop in hopes of keeping my spending within sane limits; oh dopey me!
[Reply]
T.G 09:03 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Putting them in a cooler is a good idea. Frozen bottle of water is a very bad idea -- lots of condensation which will raise the RH.

What do you expect your ambient temperatures to be during the heat wave (both highs and lows). It may be that your cigars will be fine for the duration.
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
You really should avoid any options that include ice. Condensation is not just moisture pooling on the bottom. It is extra moisture in the air -- until the air is saturated, which then forces the moisture to pool on the bottom...

Your cigars will proably be fine just as they are.
Michael is wise.

A couple days of heat aren't going to hurt your cigars Darren. They were initially transported from a tropical location to the US (or wherever for CCs) by ship in a container. And I guarantee you that it wasn't a refrigerated container. That's like a week of being baked.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:07 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Michael is wise.

A couple days of heat aren't going to hurt your cigars Darren. They were initially transported from a tropical location to the US (or wherever for CCs) by ship in a container. And I guarantee you that it wasn't a refrigerated container. That's like a week of being baked.
Thanks Adam! I would have thought they were flown in. At any rate, I'm not gonna panic.
[Reply]
T.G 09:16 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Thanks Adam! I would have thought they were flown in. At any rate, I'm not gonna panic.
Some might be flown in, but for the most part the sheer volume of production makes this impractical and very expensive. Most NC factories crank out millions of cigars per year, Cuban factories aren't really open about their production numbers, but they're supplying the rest of the world, so it probably ain't a small number.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:23 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Some might be flown in, but for the most part the sheer volume of production makes this impractical and very expensive. Most NC factories crank out millions of cigars per year.
So just why the hell does everyone run out of my favorites! :-)

Thanks Adam, you are always a font of wisdom. :-)
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 07:01 PM 06-18-2012
If you work in an office with a secure and relatively private space, could you bundle them up in a tupperdor and take them there until your A/C gets fixed? Maybe keep a traveldor at home with only a few smokes for your personal use in the interim...
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 09:18 PM 06-18-2012
What type of air conditioner was it? Central air or a window unit?

MCS
[Reply]
Subvet642 07:00 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
What type of air conditioner was it? Central air or a window unit?

MCS
Central heat pump.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:56 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Central heat pump.
Ouch!

MCS
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:57 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
Ouch!

MCS
Yeah! The tech estimates about $1500 to fix it. It'll have to wait 'till we refinance.
[Reply]
OLS 09:36 AM 06-20-2012
Boy I am LIKING that office idea. from TJ in post #31...not sure why I didn't think of that,
to me my office is almost everything. All my boxes come here, sometimes spend the weekend here.

From the mouths of newbies...lol.

Maybe a church? Need to get SOMETHING out of all that collection plate money.
[Reply]
AD720 10:07 AM 06-20-2012
:-) Tupperware container INSIDE of the iced up cooler.

The cooler cools the air surrounding the tupperware therefore maintaining the temperature.

The tupperware is sealed and keeps the condensation out of the air space where the cigars live therefore maintaining the RH.

Or just don't worry about it too much. They are cigars not recently harvested organs and will most likely be fine for a couple days. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:22 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by AD720:
...Or just don't worry about it too much. They are cigars not recently harvested organs and will most likely be fine for a couple days. :-)
Adam (T.G) said the same thing, so I'm just gonna keep my eye on 'em and try not to sweat it.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 12:31 PM 06-20-2012
Why not one of those gel freezer packs made for igloo and the like? Maybe get 2 or 3, and rotate them out? Wouldn't need them at night, sounds like. Still keeps them cool, but no condensation.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up