Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Padilla obsidian
Don Fernando 08:08 AM 03-29-2009
This cigar was another cigar that was bombed to me by Lenguamor. This great cigar 6 x 54 by Ernesto Padilla is made out of Honduran Corojo and Nicaraguan filler and a beautiful Nicaraguan ligero wrapper. The wrapper has some light veins. The cigar has a barnyard aroma to it.

I could taste coffee and after a few puffs some chocolate on the background. After an inch there is some white pepper instead of chocolate but the coffee remains. The background flavors keep on changing from that point. After reaching the middle of the cigar I could taste cedar wood instead of coffee. The cedar is combined with pepper and chocolate for the grand finale.

The draw is a bit too easy but the smoke is thick and full, and there is plenty of it. The ash is quite dark and the burn is good, pretty straight and the cigar won’t die quickly. Medium bodied and full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? I just placed an order because I saw them on sale.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10
[Reply]
bobarian 10:53 AM 03-29-2009
These are a great bargain smoke with some rest. You may find them harsh and hard to keep lit fresh. 6 months or more and they really start getting tasty. :-)
[Reply]
shortstory5 05:47 PM 03-29-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
These are a great bargain smoke with some rest. You may find them harsh and hard to keep lit fresh. 6 months or more and they really start getting tasty. :-)
Great great bargain smoke. Those things are beautiful and have some nice flavors in them. They give a great amount of smoke. I always have a few in the humi.
[Reply]
Gonesledn 08:46 PM 03-29-2009
just a heads up, that is an original release.the originals were fantastic and only came in the toro size.

on the other hand, the reblended new realeases are no where near as good. they come in the torpedo size only. alot of reviews and myself as well, have noticed burn and construction issues with the new release.
[Reply]
shortstory5 09:37 PM 03-29-2009
Yeah, I noticed that.

I actually have never had a burn issue with the new release.

P.S. what burb are you in? I'm in the city...
[Reply]
Gonesledn 10:11 PM 03-29-2009
Originally Posted by shortstory5:
Yeah, I noticed that.

I actually have never had a burn issue with the new release.

P.S. what burb are you in? I'm in the city...

glad to hear the new release has smoked well for you. i have had a few burn nice as well, but also a few i had to fight the whole way.

i am down south near Oak Forest/ Orland Park area. if you ever come down this way, Belicosos in Orland Park has a very nice cigar Lounge.
[Reply]
bookman 06:45 PM 03-31-2009
I love em too, but also found some lighting problems.
[Reply]
G G 05:53 PM 04-02-2009
I have enjoyed a few of these, nice review.
[Reply]
TRicker 05:56 PM 04-02-2009
Hands down my favorite cheap smoke. Nice review, as others said these need 6 months and then...... awesomeness
[Reply]
Starscream 05:58 PM 04-02-2009
These things are great if they ever dry out. It takes a lot of rest, but these are great smokes. I think CI keeps the Obsidian in a special humidor w/ the hygrometer set at 99. Great review. :-)
[Reply]
Godofgravity 06:25 PM 04-02-2009
Nice review :-)

Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
just a heads up, that is an original release.the originals were fantastic and only came in the toro size.

on the other hand, the reblended new realeases are no where near as good. they come in the torpedo size only. alot of reviews and myself as well, have noticed burn and construction issues with the new release.
I had one of these new ones awhile back. I loved the taste of it, but had to relight the damn thing about 10 times, haven't tried another one since.
[Reply]
greenwit 06:58 PM 04-02-2009
:-)........

:-)

:-)
[Reply]
Gophernut 10:26 AM 04-03-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
These things are great if they ever dry out. It takes a lot of rest, but these are great smokes. I think CI keeps the Obsidian in a special humidor w/ the hygrometer set at 99. Great review. :-)
:-) I agree completely. 6 months, and you have yourself a great smoke! On the cheap too!:-)
[Reply]
shortstory5 01:02 AM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Yeah. I agree with everyone who says they need some time and need to dry out. But don't they look crazy delicious when they're young with those nice dark oily wrappers?!
[Reply]
CueTheMusic 08:40 AM 06-05-2009
I smoked (some of it anyway) one of these last night. I was very disappointed. Draw was too loose, ash kept falling off (pretty much every draw), and it tasted like dirt. I think I got a bum cigar.
[Reply]
Starscream 03:15 PM 06-05-2009
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic:
I smoked (some of it anyway) one of these last night. I was very disappointed. Draw was too loose, ash kept falling off (pretty much every draw), and it tasted like dirt. I think I got a bum cigar.
Try another 2 after about 6 months rest. I think you either got a bum stick or it didn't sit long enough. Two more months and mine might be ready...
[Reply]
s15driftking 03:19 PM 06-05-2009
soudns decently complex to me
[Reply]
Mr B 04:59 PM 06-05-2009
I had one of the orignals a few weeks back and really enjoyed it.
I have also had the burn issues w/ the new lot. Even w/ 6 months on them. They are a tasty smoke though.
[Reply]
dunng 05:03 PM 06-05-2009
Let them rest... the best advise out there on these! :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 05:32 PM 06-05-2009
yep, my firstand only was not that complex, a little disspointing... i shoulda let it rest.
[Reply]
Up