Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Coffee Discussion>Just pulled the trigger on this
forgop 06:18 PM 06-22-2012
I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast.

I browsed pretty quickly through the manual and it doesn't seem to provide a lot of detail of this type of info.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:50 AM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast...
Wait til you make a blend something great and then the crop changes. Complexer and complexer. Have a ball. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:03 PM 09-20-2012
Duane, now that you've had the Behmor for a few months, how do you like it? I'm contemplating getting one to replace my popper so I can do larger batches.
[Reply]
forgop 06:34 AM 09-21-2012
I really like it. I researched long and hard about the pros/cons of everything I saw in the $150-200 price point and then $500 and this seemed to be the best fit by far. I like being able to roast a full pound at a time to make it less of a "burden". I read reviews that said dark roasting was more difficult, but you can add extra time or cheat it by using 1/2 pound in the full pound setting. I usually only roast just into 2nd crack, so it's never a problem.

The only downside is that it has a tendency to set off the smoke detector when I roast to 2nd crack, but I'm actually moving it to the man cave portion of my garage today. I think I could have only made a better decision if I had a budget to buy the models at 3-4x the price.
[Reply]
floydpink 07:35 AM 09-21-2012
I've never roasted inside. When it's roasting day, I get comments from neighbors who all smell it downwind and know I'm roasting.

I also never roast anywhere near a full pound as I can't seem to finish anywhere near as dark as I like my roasts.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 08:41 AM 09-21-2012
Like Pete, I dont roast in the house. It does get a little smokey so for me it is easier to deal with in the garage. I also roast one half lb at a time so I can get to the roast I prefer. Glad to hear that you like it.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:09 AM 09-21-2012
Thanks for the reviews guys/gals. Like you, I only roast to just into second crack right now with the popper, so dark roast levels for me shouldn't be an issue. Plus I like the idea of having some control over the roast cycles with the different settings.

I may try using it in the basement since my garage is detached and get's mighty cold in the winter. I guess I could always do a preheat cycle first if I moved into the garage.
[Reply]
GolfNut 09:18 AM 09-21-2012
Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.
[Reply]
forgop 09:46 AM 09-21-2012
I got an app called Roastmaster that gives me the capability of logging all of my roasts. The feature I like is being able to use the timer for total time, first crack, and second crack. The hell of it is that my results will change a lot if I move it to the garage as it'll be a less regulated temp than my kitchen.

The other nice feature I'll like having it in my garage is having it right next to the shop vac for easier cleaning.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:58 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by GolfNut:
Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.
I had to reread that a couple times. At first I thought you said it caused your house to burn down.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:59 AM 09-21-2012
Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 03:12 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee. :-)
You're gonna love it. The recommendation for using Simple Green in the manual does a pretty good job of cleaning the inside.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up