Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>El Rico Habano
TanithT 07:22 PM 07-07-2009
LckyLindy hit me with this potent stick, and Jjirons commented on how I should really try inhaling it. Based on this, I fully expect that JJ has already sneaked into my house to plant a forged document in my handwriting that says, "In the event of my death, Jamie will inherit all my cigars."

I think it was the ERH Club, and hopefully LckyLindy can confirm or deny. If it was the Club then it is well named, because it definitely delivered a beatdown. Nice toothy dark maduro wrapper, pleasantly strong pre-light aroma of well cured tobacco.

To make this cigar, somebody basically rolled Chuck Norris into a tobacco leaf. When I lit his feet on fire, he came out the other end and punched me repeatedly in the mouth. After the shock and numbness wore off, he decided we could be buddies and offered me a nice shot of triple espresso.

Wow. This cigar is quite a powerhouse, smoothing out about midway through with some intense but tasty coffee and bitter chocolate flavors with just a touch of cream. If you like a strong stick with plenty of Vitamin N, this one should be a favorite. But for the love of Ghu, don't inhale, or else you will probably die.

Thanks LckyLindy! That was quite a smoke. Unless it was actually an assassination conspiracy. :-)
[Reply]
Tripp 07:30 PM 07-07-2009
Haha! Sounds good, I've been itching to try one of these. Just haven't found one yet.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:10 PM 07-07-2009
I'm mixed on this cigar. I don't know that it is actually good, but it definitely kicks your ass with the nicotine!
[Reply]
TanithT 08:14 PM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
I'm mixed on this cigar. I don't know that it is actually good, but it definitely kicks your ass with the nicotine!
Me too. I was unsure as to whether it was a good smoke or an assassination attempt. Maybe a bit of both. Kind of like drinking a triple espresso with a side of Everclear while hitting yourself repeatedly on the tongue with a chocolate covered brick. It leaves a pleasant taste in your mouth, and it feels so good when you finally stop. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:18 PM 07-08-2009
Since they reblended these a few years ago, I haven't cared for them. They used to be strong. I don't find them so anymore. If you like them strong, find an older one. We did a taste testing at CS a few years ago and that was the consensus.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:30 PM 07-08-2009
Sounds too strong for me!
[Reply]
Starscream 12:36 PM 07-08-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Since they reblended these a few years ago, I haven't cared for them. They used to be strong. I don't find them so anymore. If you like them strong, find an older one. We did a taste testing at CS a few years ago and that was the consensus.
:-)
The new ones ain't bad, but the old ones are off the chain!
[Reply]
TanithT 12:38 PM 07-08-2009
You don't think this is a strong cigar? I hereby dub thee "Iron Lips". ImageImageImageImage

Either that or LckyLindy sent me one of the old ones. Cause, dayum.
[Reply]
Garbandz 01:04 PM 07-08-2009
The El Rico you tried is the new blend,according to the pic posted in the bomb section.I have had a couple of the new ones,they are pretty strong.There are a couple of new sizes.In the old days the El Rico was the "strong" benchmark.I always had the Habano Club in my humi....
[Reply]
TanithT 01:05 PM 07-08-2009
Then I think the old one would probably make my head explode and kill me. But what a way to go! :-)
[Reply]
NJ stogie King 01:34 PM 07-08-2009
In what year did they change to the new one?? I love the ERH Club, but had no idea that they changed!!
[Reply]
papajohn67 01:38 PM 07-08-2009
Would love to come across one of the old blend. I currently have a box each of the newer natural & maduro and find them a tasty smoke. Fairly strong but not a cigar that will make me cough up a lung. In the past I've sent a few off to the troops. Just hope some young troop did not break his cherry on one of them. :-)
[Reply]
Commander Quan 01:47 PM 07-08-2009
I smoked one of these 2 years ago, and really enjoyed it...until I stood up. I just remember walking inside and laying down on the couch for 20 minutes until I stopped sweating from every pore in my body.

Originally Posted by TanithT:
Me too. I was unsure as to whether it was a good smoke or an assassination attempt. Maybe a bit of both. Kind of like drinking a triple espresso with a side of Everclear while hitting yourself repeatedly on the tongue with a chocolate covered brick. It leaves a pleasant taste in your mouth, and it feels so good when you finally stop. :-)
Yep this pretty much sums it up.
[Reply]
TanithT 01:58 PM 07-08-2009
So is this stick "The Club"? I'm not familiar enough with this brand to be able to tell.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 02:03 PM 07-08-2009
Enjoyed the review, Tanith. :-)

Glad you and Chuck Norris made up. :-)
[Reply]
TanithT 02:09 PM 07-08-2009
Hey, you were right there watching him deliver my beatdown, and you even helped rescue me. I sure appreciated that nice little RASS break in the middle of the beating!
[Reply]
The Poet 02:19 PM 07-08-2009
I like some flavor in my smokes, but do not care for those blended with Everclear and ipecac. Better you than me, GF - you're still young enough to recoup.
[Reply]
Garbandz 07:29 PM 07-08-2009
The El Rico Habano Club was 48 x 4.75 or so ,,,,,,,a robusto size.The old band had a round border,seems like the change was 4 years ago or so,I am not sure.The tobacco for this stick ran out and it was off the market for a while,when it came back there were some new vitolas,including the torpedo and the corona gorda sizes.
[Reply]
bookman 07:31 PM 10-09-2009
Had a maduro ERH today. Last time I do that. The maduro dye came off on my fingers. had to relight it twice. It canoed/tunnelled. The ash was flaky. At one point the ash end spread out and looked like an exploding novelty cigar. It had a good maduro flavor, but next time I'll go with ERDM or LGH. I think the stick had too much nitrogen or the dye ont he wrapper seeped into the stick. Worst. Maduro. Ever.
[Reply]
ebida3 07:36 PM 10-09-2009
I used to love those old recipe El Ricos! I bought a couple of boxes just before the blend change. The change was in fall 2002.

They were delightful corona size vitolas. The new blend just never held up to the old brand.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up