Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Where should i transfer to?
Stay at WMU 5 27.78%
transfer to Michigan State University 2 11.11%
transfer to University of Michigan 1 5.56%
transfer to Ohio State University 2 11.11%
transfer to University of Alabama 5 27.78%
Other(please post) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>College: transfer or stay?
Devanmc 03:09 PM 12-04-2011
Ok so here goes. When i was discharged from the Army, i went back to school like i should have. I am currently going to Western Michigan University. My GPA for the current semester(my first since returning) is a 3.5(out of 4). Before all of this i did my freshmen year at WMU as well, Getting only a 2.55GPA. So i really couldnt get in anywhere else when i tried to go back to school.

Now that i have a good GPA, should i transfer to a better school or stay? I will have 57 credits total and 45 of them from Western.

I would like as much advice as possible as most of you are older then me and thus have some experience and wisdom. That i do not have.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:11 PM 12-04-2011
What are you going for? What school would you transfer to?
[Reply]
Devanmc 03:12 PM 12-04-2011
I am pursuing a major in business management and political science. Current thoughts for transfer are in the poll
[Reply]
Mattso3000 03:17 PM 12-04-2011
I think you should come freeze your a$$ off up here at the other UofM, Carlson School of Management is a very good business management college. Not sure on the Poli Sci program right now.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:18 PM 12-04-2011
By "better school" do you mean more expensive, or that the bigger schools have a higher post graduation hire rate? I would do more research into what the actual benefits of transferring are.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:21 PM 12-04-2011
I would stay where you are. Your degree will open a door for you. What you do after that is up to you.
[Reply]
Devanmc 03:24 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
By "better school" do you mean more expensive, or that the bigger schools have a higher post graduation hire rate? I would do more research into what the actual benefits of transferring are.
Higher chances of post graduation employment and more opportunities within the school.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 03:35 PM 12-04-2011
There are a ton of things to consider here...

Do you have a scholarship at your current school? How much more will you have to pay at a new school? Where do you want to work after graduation? (if alabama, then obviously UA is a logical choice). Are you wanting to go to grad school? etc...

Michigan is an incredible school, and it will open doors for you, but less debt is a huge advantage if not-transferring will be much cheaper. Of course, you may have the GI bill or Yellow Ribbon, so that may not be a huge consideration. If it is being paid for, I'd transfer if I could.
[Reply]
Devanmc 03:38 PM 12-04-2011
Cost is not an issue. I receive 100% of the Post 9/11 Gi bill pays 100% of public university tuition and yellow ribbon is an option if needed.

Location, I would very much like to work in the south Great people, great weather. So I would assume going to a southern school would be a good start.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:43 PM 12-04-2011
While I personally don't have much experience with this at all.....I feel I'll toss my 2 cents in.

My brother recently graduated and he chose his school based on what his field wanted. Turns out they REALLY wanted people from his school, which is why he went there, so he got a job within 6 weeks or so of graduating. After getting the job he had 2-3 other offers. Couldn't have gone better for him.

FWIW
[Reply]
hotreds 03:49 PM 12-04-2011
Really tough for someone to pick a school for you since there are so many variables. Research the quality of the management dept of the schools you are interested in- where and how quickly they place there graduates/reputation of business school, etc etc. If you want to go down South, why even list the 1st 4 schools in your poll?
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 03:51 PM 12-04-2011
I agree with Hugh. IMO, it's either between UA or Michigan. Michigan because they are the best school in your list, and UA because you want to work in the south.

I'd apply to both though. Michigan might be tough to get into, but I don't know much about transfer admissions.
[Reply]
Devanmc 03:51 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Really tough for someone to pick a school for you since there are so many variables. Research the quality of the management dept of the schools you are interested in- where and how quickly they place there graduates/reputation of business school, etc etc. If you want to go down South, why even list the 1st 4 schools in your poll?
because i just started my research and MSU and UofM have very very high ranked business schools.
[Reply]
shark 03:57 PM 12-04-2011
I agree with you about a warmer climate, and traffic on campus at U of M (for example) can be a real PITA, 7 days a week.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:00 PM 12-04-2011
You're doing well where you are at...don't fix it it ain't broke!! :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 04:03 PM 12-04-2011
my school is ranked like ~180. the others that im pretty sure ill get accepted to are ~80 or better in national ranking.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:11 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
my school is ranked like ~180. the others that im pretty sure ill get accepted to are ~80 or better in national ranking.
"pretty sure you'll be accepted to" is a stretch, IMO. There are no sure things.
The number of applicants to open spots is usually huge. Just having adequate grades/GPA is not nearly enough to ensure you'll be accepted.

It is a non-issue until you have been accepted at the schools in question.
Until then, the only question should be stay or transfer somewhere.
[Reply]
Devanmc 04:12 PM 12-04-2011
very true peter, what do you recommend? Should i try to transfer to a better school?
[Reply]
montecristo#2 04:24 PM 12-04-2011
One thing you might want to double check, I know the GI Bill covers up to 100% of tuition equivalent to that of a public institution in that state, but in order to get in state tuition, you might have some residency requirements that could differ from state to state.

So if you are currently a resident of Michigan and want to go to Alabama, you might want to confirm your GI Bill funds will cover everything. If you do not qualify for in state tuition, that could help you make your decision.

Now in terms of transferring, I know when I look at job candidates, education is a big part of it. Now it may not matter for all jobs, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have graduated from a top university in the country. If it is something you are interested in, I would apply and if you get in, then you have to make the tough decision.

Also, I have no idea if it is more expensive to live near WMU versus UoM versus UoA - but I would definitely consider the quality of life. I know where I went to school rent was through the roof, so I racked up a lot of debt outside of tuition when I was in college.
[Reply]
Taki 04:46 PM 12-04-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
You're doing well where you are at...don't fix it it ain't broke!! :-)
Well said MAC!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up