Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>bead question
G22inSC 07:54 AM 02-15-2011
I am planning on adding some more beads to my EdgeStar and am contemplating using Shilala's beads. I currently have HF beads in bags and was wandering if the two types of beads could be used together. I have heard good things about Shilala's beads and thought I would give them a try, but I don't want to start completely over purchasing a ton of new beads. What is the consensus...use together, stay with HF or make total switch to Shilala?
[Reply]
md4958 08:16 AM 02-15-2011
you might as well have asked if we prefer Pepsi or Coke :-)

Everybody has their preference, mine is Shilala (Ive owned both) but Im sure you can mix them without issue.

Pepsi btw :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:17 AM 02-15-2011
Pepsi...unless it's with rum :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:40 AM 02-15-2011
Total switch to Shilalas beads hands down!! :-)

And Diet Pepsi BTW. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:59 AM 02-15-2011
Both are great products.
You can use them together.

Coke. Hands down.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:03 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Pepsi...unless it's with rum :-)
BINGO! :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:55 AM 02-15-2011
If you use them together you need to make sure both sets of beads are at the same RH. No problems otherwise.

Having said that -- if you have HF Beads and you are happy with them then I would stick with them. HF and HCM beads are maintained very differently and it could be a source of confusion down the road when you accidentally add some water or spritz the HCM beads...

If you are unhappy with the HF beads I would like to know why you want to switch -- sometimes switching beads will not solve your problem. It's not that I don't want your business, but I would rather have a happy BOTL and a happy customer even more.

RC :-); otherwise Coke.
[Reply]
Krish the Fish 10:00 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Both are great products.
You can use them together.

Coke. Hands down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely can use the two together (provided, of course, they are the same RH). And I agree; Coke hands down.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:15 AM 02-15-2011
Pepsi. Nuff said.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 10:36 AM 02-15-2011
Pepsi all the way.
[Reply]
swh127 10:40 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish:
Definitely can use the two together (provided, of course, they are the same RH). And I agree; Coke hands down.
:-) on both the beads and Coke.
[Reply]
G22inSC 10:43 AM 02-15-2011
I don't have any problems with the HF beads. I just thought about adding more beads to help the temp swings when the unit turns on or the door is opened. Since I was looking into getting more, I just thought about trying the other beads since they seem to be so popular.

I don't really have any maintenance with my HF beads. I have about a pound in the bottom and a pound in the top. I have a few small tubes spread about the shelves. I have not sprayed them since they were placed into the unit almost a year ago. The EdgeStar stays around 65% unless the unit is running then it will drop to high 50's until it recovers. Every once in a while I will place a shot glass of distilled water inside the unit for the beads to absorb if it seems to be a little low on RH.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:05 AM 02-15-2011
It sounds like your HF beads are working fine. Like I said, I would welcome your business, but I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"...
[Reply]
bobarian 11:38 AM 02-15-2011
You are already sacrificing valuable cigar space with a ton of beads. I use a pound of HF beads in two bags in both of my 28btl Vinotemp's. No Rh issues in the past 3 years. Rh is always going to drop when you open the door, you could add 20lbs of beads and this will still happen. It really sounds like you have a bead storage cooler with very little room left for cigars. :-)
[Reply]
TBone 11:41 AM 02-15-2011
Mountain Dew...made by Pepsi:-)
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:51 PM 02-15-2011
I use HF beads to "catch" any condensation at the drain of my vinos and HCM beads everywhere else in them. I have one bag of HCM beads in my Igloo, and my desk tops just have Dry Mystat tubes in them. This setup works well for me. I only have to maintain the Dry Mystat tubes every so often.
[Reply]
Up