[Reply]
pektel 01:39 PM 05-21-2012
<--- This guy does.
[Reply]
DBall 01:40 PM 05-21-2012
Here too... :-)
[Reply]
area51 01:44 PM 05-21-2012
What do you guys play? Ive been messing around with acoustic for the past couple years grew up playing electric.
[Reply]
pektel 01:52 PM 05-21-2012
I learned on acoustic. It's still what I grab the majority of the time. I have a MIM strat that gets a little time, but have to wear headphones to get it loud enough to enjoy it (I have 2 kids).

My current acoustic is an old Takamine jasmine something or other I bought probably 8 years ago from a buddy. It's my kick around guitar. I bring it camping, to festivals, etc. While I enjoy playing "nicer" guitars, I don't think I could own one. Unless I started playing professionally or something. My guitar gets it's share of abuse.

I mostly play rock, blues, jam band, reggae type stuff. I really enjoy trying to get a percussive sound out of the guitar while playing. Something like this. I found this video on youtube, and finally am able to play it after a good week of trying to get the rhythm part down, and being able to sing along with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8R9GGxxA4
[Reply]
area51 01:56 PM 05-21-2012
Thats awesome. Like I said I grew up playing a Washburn electric then crossed over to acoustic. I have and Epiphone, Crafter and Eastman. The first two are my beaters the Eastman is my prized possession I guess you could say. I play around 5 - 7 shows a month as well as various open mics. Its a fun hobby to have.
[Reply]
pektel 02:03 PM 05-21-2012
I've never played more than a few open mic's, and some weddings (me on acoustic guitar -finger picked arpeggio style- plus my brother on violin makes a pretty sweet Pachelbel's Canon in D).

I have a problem with stage fright. Normally goes away after the first song though.
[Reply]
area51 02:11 PM 05-21-2012
Also depends on how much you're drinking.
[Reply]
pektel 02:12 PM 05-21-2012
I find how much I drink is inversely proportionate to how well I play lol.
[Reply]
area51 02:16 PM 05-21-2012
In my mind I play better when I'm buzzed or drunk...only in my mind hahaha.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:17 PM 05-21-2012
I've got a very good Japanese Strat copy and an Ibanez Artist electric, sold my Fender bass but wish I still had it, a beater Yamaha dread, a Taylor 810CE, a couple of Dobro brass bodied resonators, one got smashed in an accident and the insurance got me a new one and I fixed the old one, a Fender 12 string, and a Flatiron F-type mandolin. I haven't played in a band in about 17 years and forgot a lot and I am out of practice. I play the mando regularly because it's so easy to have around.
Hard rock and fast blues on the electric and whatever I think sounds good on the acoustics. I can't play classical or fingerpicking style much but I can learn a tune if I stick with it. I'm not really motivated any more. I have been looking on CL for some recording equipment so I can set down some tunes I have written over the years.
[Reply]
area51 02:22 PM 05-21-2012
If your looking for a Free program check out Audacity, that's what I've used to records a lot of my stuff. I'd love to see that Taylor if you could post it.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 02:37 PM 05-21-2012
Audacity is great. I'm looking for a good firewire mixer at a reasonable price.
The Taylor has a smooth fast neck and beautiful harmonics but just looks like a regular guitar.
[Reply]
Bax 02:57 PM 05-21-2012
I play a little here and there but never really put the time into it. Should be a lot better than I am after 20 years :-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 03:03 PM 05-21-2012
I've played for about 20 years as well. I have a Fender acoustic, a Martin Electric/Acoustic, and a Gibson SG.
[Reply]
area51 03:05 PM 05-21-2012
I've been working on a lot finger style as of late. It's coming along smoothly though.
[Reply]
pektel 03:06 PM 05-21-2012
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
The Taylor has a smooth fast neck and beautiful harmonics but just looks like a regular guitar.
That's what I love about my kick around Takamine. I'd have got another guitar a long time ago, but this one just plays awesome. One of those diamond-in-the-rough guitars that just came out "right." I'm sure it's nowhere on the same scale as the Taylor you own, but against other guitars in it's class, it blows them away.

I have noticed that the Martin guitars I've played have better tone, and better sustain. I should've bought one before the kids. Now it won't happen for 20 more years.
[Reply]
area51 03:10 PM 05-21-2012
Takamines are those guitars that are amazing for their price, that everyone tends to overlook. They come from the factory setup great and sound fantastic.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up