Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Project Of The Day : Desktop Thermoelectric Winadors
shilala 08:27 AM 05-10-2012
I finally got the shop done and I'm ready to get down to business.
I did a couple little projects to get used to my new tools, and now I'm starting a little bigger one for the same reason.
I'm simply pimping out a half dozen Fridgidaire Thermoelectric Desktop Winadors.
There will be four drawers in each, capacity will be over 200 robustos. Actually, it'll handle 192 6" sticks, I do believe. I figured it out roughly yesterday. It all depends on how you arrange stuff, of course, but the trays are of nice size and they're a nice capacity.
I plan to work in some spanish cedar, humidity control, a good hygrometer/thermometer, etc. They'll arive to new owners ready to plug in and fill with sticks. No cleaning, fetching extra stuff, or seasoning.

I built the prototype drawer yesterday to get my dimensions down, and I built the first drawer frame. The drawer fronts will get cherry, chestnut, oak, or zebrawood fronts and some sort of drawer pulls. Basically whatever I have laying around.

I'm not sure of the particular particulars yet, I won't know exactly what I'm going to do until I do it.

One thing I'm doing that I've not done in the past is to make the drawers interchangeable in place. Usually I'll make them custom to maximize room, and the drawers have to go back in their specific glides. I'm making these so that they'll all go anywhere and can be replaced if the dog eats one.

This morning I have to build a jig for assembly, otherwise it'll take me forever to build all these drawers. Wish me luck on that. I've been thinking on it since last night and I got nothing. :-)

Anyways, a couple pics...

Most all the pieces...

The first usable drawer...
[Reply]
Jefft72 08:38 AM 05-10-2012
Looks like a lot of fun! I'll be looking for more progress pics as you get the final units finished.

Here's an idea for your drawer jig: Use some scrap stock that would be fixed to the work surface that will hold the drawer sides upright and square to the others. You could use some 2x2 on either side of the drawer side so that the drawer pieces are held in place. Apply glue to the ends and then set the drawer bottom on top with some glue and a few brads (drawer assembled upside down). 4 clamps to hold everything tight.

Given your available work area you could have several of these setup in glue.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:52 AM 05-10-2012
Looking forward to seeing how these progress Scott!
[Reply]
chaase321 09:04 AM 05-10-2012
Looks like you are going to have quite a good time Scott. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Can't wait to see the progress :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:13 AM 05-10-2012
Looking forward to seeing this final product. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:35 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Jefft72:
Looks like a lot of fun! I'll be looking for more progress pics as you get the final units finished.

Here's an idea for your drawer jig: Use some scrap stock that would be fixed to the work surface that will hold the drawer sides upright and square to the others. You could use some 2x2 on either side of the drawer side so that the drawer pieces are held in place. Apply glue to the ends and then set the drawer bottom on top with some glue and a few brads (drawer assembled upside down). 4 clamps to hold everything tight.

Given your available work area you could have several of these setup in glue.
That'd work, but my side stock is under 3/8" and it's all presanded. If I smear glue all around the inside of the box, it'll cost me more time than I saved.
I managed to work out a clamping setup that allows me to clean the glue, pre-drill and nail everything, and keep everything square. I just gotta move fast. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:48 AM 05-10-2012
You are a whirling Derbish, Scott! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 06:57 PM 05-10-2012
I got a set of drawer bodies done for the first unit. They worked out very well and went real quick once I got a groove on.
The very first unit I unboxed, the stupid light doesn't work. I'll have to open another one and swap out the lighting board and see if it's broken or if a wire is pulled off. I'll check the main board first and see if it's even connected.

The second pic is the drawer faces. I resawed some cherry and it looks like it'll be nice. I pulled out a chunk of zebrawood to run through the planer, I'll make a set of faces from it, as well. I dug out some really nice brazilian cherry that's gonna look nice, too.
Things is, the window in the door is very dark. I can hadly see through it, so I'm not going to fuss too much with the faces, no one will be able to see them anyways. I'm going to go with something very simple on most of them.

Okay, pics...

[Reply]
Jasonw560 07:58 PM 05-10-2012
Lolking great so far!!

I am jealous of your ability. I'm going to try and do some small stuff to see how much I suck, and if there's any hope for me to wood work.
[Reply]
Ogre 08:01 PM 05-10-2012
Looking good brother. You have one great skill there.
[Reply]
Digs 09:02 PM 05-10-2012
Scott that looks great! You say your pimping out a 1/2 dozen, they for sale?
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:04 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I got a set of drawer bodies done for the first unit. They worked out very well and went real quick once I got a groove on.
The very first unit I unboxed, the stupid light doesn't work. I'll have to open another one and swap out the lighting board and see if it's broken or if a wire is pulled off. I'll check the main board first and see if it's even connected.

The second pic is the drawer faces. I resawed some cherry and it looks like it'll be nice. I pulled out a chunk of zebrawood to run through the planer, I'll make a set of faces from it, as well. I dug out some really nice brazilian cherry that's gonna look nice, too.
Things is, the window in the door is very dark. I can hadly see through it, so I'm not going to fuss too much with the faces, no one will be able to see them anyways. I'm going to go with something very simple on most of them.

Okay, pics...

Empty humidor :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:35 AM 05-11-2012
Scott,
Are you selling the whole units?
How much?
I would be interested in one but I don't know how soon.
[Reply]
shilala 07:58 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Digs:
Scott that looks great! You say your pimping out a 1/2 dozen, they for sale?
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Scott,
Are you selling the whole units?
How much?
I would be interested in one but I don't know how soon.
Yes, I'll be selling them. I have no idea how much until I finish them and cost them out. I'll figure something out in the next week or two. :-)
[Reply]
chaase321 08:54 AM 05-11-2012
Yes, I'll be selling them. I have no idea how much until I finish them and cost them out. I'll figure something out in the next week or two. :-)
Woot Woot!

Looking good Scott :-) waiting to see more pictures once you get it all finished up.
[Reply]
czerbe 09:28 AM 05-11-2012
Nice job when your done you can build me one as well LOL
[Reply]
shilala 09:27 AM 05-12-2012
I made drawer fronts. I went with Cherry, Black Walnut and Zebrawood because that's what I had laying around. I guees I should have taken a picture. Duh. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:51 AM 05-12-2012
Scott, what are the dimensions of the unit you are using, or bottle capacity?
I had thought about getting a small winador to only store vintage singles in.
The unit in your pic appears to be larger than I imagined.
Though, it's hard to tell scale from the images.
[Reply]
shilala 09:56 AM 05-12-2012
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Scott, what are the dimensions of the unit you are using, or bottle capacity?
I had thought about getting a small winador to only store vintage singles in.
The unit in your pic appears to be larger than I imagined.
Though, it's hard to tell scale from the images.
It's an 8 bottle, Dom. It's about 18" high by 10" wide by 20" deep.
They all run about 20" deep, I chose this model because of the small footprint. It'd sit on a counter really nice.
It'll hold about 200 robustos, easily. Mix and matching things, probably more. It'd hold a serious mess of pc's and lanceros. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:04 AM 05-12-2012
It's an 8 bottle, Dom. It's about 18" high by 10" wide by 20" deep.
They all run about 20" deep, I chose this model because of the small footprint. It'd sit on a counter really nice.
It'll hold about 200 robustos, easily. Mix and matching things, probably more. It'd hold a serious mess of pc's and lanceros. :-)
Thanks Scott! :-)

That sounds about perfect, both in size and capacity, for my needs.
will be on the lookout for the finished product.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up