Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Darrell 03:52 PM 03-14-2010
Yesterday we went and saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D, yeah 3D…oooh, ahhhh. Anyway, I didn’t really want to see this all that much, but I got dragged into seeing it. The first 45 mins of the movie was a snooze fest, I dosed off like 4 or 5 times. Once the story picked up I stopped catching flies. The visuals were pretty cool; all of the characters were very much “larger than life”. The costumes were pretty nice, especially the Mad Hatter costume, he reminded me of a hobo clown transvestite.

Johnny Depp played a great Mad Hatter physically, but this was not one of his better acting roles. Anne Hathaway played the White Queen and she had some really strange mannerisms that started to bug me, she kind of reminded me of when Marilyn Manson did “the Beautiful People” live on the MTV movie awards back in 1998. It was just odd and disturbing (Hathaway and Manson). The CGI characters were really cool i.e. the Cheshire cat, the Caterpillar, Etc. The 3D itself was really well done and created some very nice backdrops.

Overall this movie was not that great. I expected it to be a lot darker than it actually ended up. I think if this is what we have to look forward to with Depp and Burton teaming up in the future, they should retire. I would not rush out and see this, wait until it's on DVD and you're super bored and if their are no more DVD's of Cobra to rent.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:17 PM 03-14-2010
Thanks Mean D...was looking to see this. Will wait for the DVD. :-)
[Reply]
Darrell 04:23 PM 03-14-2010
Happy to save you $10 a ticket, Mac. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 04:44 PM 03-14-2010
Mama was kinda spooked by this anyway- and I must admit I didn't really care to see it, either. Thanks for the confirmation!
[Reply]
jaydub13 04:47 PM 03-14-2010
Awesome, thanks Darrell! You just saved me $15 bucks on this one...
[Reply]
Starscream 06:35 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Thanks Mean D...was looking to see this. Will wait for the DVD. :-)
:-)
I've agreed with all of your reviews so far, so I'll wait too.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:56 PM 03-14-2010
My girls want to see this but I think they are still a little too young for it.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:01 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
My girls want to see this but I think they are still a little too young for it.
And I am far too old. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:05 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
And I am far too old. :-)
I think I will stick to the cartoon movies for them for now.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:06 PM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I think I will stick to the cartoon movies for them for now.
Just keep showing them "Monsters Inc.". :-)
[Reply]
montecristo#2 12:00 AM 03-15-2010
Interesting, in terms of the darkness, I was actually surpised how dark it was for a PG rated movie. A couple of scenes made me cringe. Was it as dark as the movie 9, not even close.

It was slow at times, but overall I thought it was a pretty good movie. I am a huge Tim Burton fan. I definitely enjoyed Charley and the Chocolate Factory more, but even with that movie the first time I saw it I thought it was good but not great. I have probably seen it 10+ times since then and am amazed every time I watch it.

I will probably buy Alice in Wonderland when it comes out on Blue-Ray to see if the same thing happens.
[Reply]
timo 03:46 AM 03-15-2010
I saw and loved it! Got sick of the 3D after awhile though.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:47 AM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
Interesting, in terms of the darkness, I was actually surpised how dark it was for a PG rated movie. A couple of scenes made me cringe. Was it as dark as the movie 9, not even close.

It was slow at times, but overall I thought it was a pretty good movie. I am a huge Tim Burton fan. I definitely enjoyed Charley and the Chocolate Factory more, but even with that movie the first time I saw it I thought it was good but not great. I have probably seen it 10+ times since then and am amazed every time I watch it.

I will probably buy Alice in Wonderland when it comes out on Blue-Ray to see if the same thing happens.
I'm interested in hearing what made you cringe.
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 11:10 AM 03-15-2010
I saw it with my 8 year old daughter and wife. I thought it was meh. Didn't see it in 3D because I heard it didn't really add that much to the movie. Visuals were pretty neat. I thought Helena Bonham Carter did the best job out of all the actors/actresses. I didn't really like Johnny Depp in this movie and I'm a huge Depp fan. His constant switching of accents didn't add much to his character imo.

My 8 year old really like this movie. She was raving about it. Not a bad movie to see with the kiddos.
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:28 PM 03-15-2010
Why you gotta diss Cobra like that, Hater?:-)
[Reply]
montecristo#2 09:22 PM 03-15-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I'm interested in hearing what made you cringe.
:-) :-)

I think I have a thing with eyes - probably the reason I will never get Lasik.

Blood and guts in the movies, no issues, but a good eye poke and I cringe. Same thing when I am watching MMA.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 10:28 AM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Yesterday we went and saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D, yeah 3D…oooh, ahhhh. Anyway, I didn’t really want to see this all that much, but I got dragged into seeing it. The first 45 mins of the movie was a snooze fest, I dosed off like 4 or 5 times. Once the story picked up I stopped catching flies. The visuals were pretty cool; all of the characters were very much “larger than life”. The costumes were pretty nice, especially the Mad Hatter costume, he reminded me of a hobo clown transvestite.

Johnny Depp played a great Mad Hatter physically, but this was not one of his better acting roles. Anne Hathaway played the White Queen and she had some really strange mannerisms that started to bug me, she kind of reminded me of when Marilyn Manson did “the Beautiful People” live on the MTV movie awards back in 1998. It was just odd and disturbing (Hathaway and Manson). The CGI characters were really cool i.e. the Cheshire cat, the Caterpillar, Etc. The 3D itself was really well done and created some very nice backdrops.

Overall this movie was not that great. I expected it to be a lot darker than it actually ended up. I think if this is what we have to look forward to with Depp and Burton teaming up in the future, they should retire. I would not rush out and see this, wait until it's on DVD and you're super bored and if their are no more DVD's of Cobra to rent.
Damn, I really want to see this....and now that you've mentioned my least favorite actress Anne Hathaway (remember my 'Rachel Getting Married' post? blech) is terrible in it....hmmm.....I think I'll still 'try' to see it in 3-D....and I can't buy a 3-D t.v. so......and I'll just keep my eyes closed during the White Queen parts.
[Reply]
smitdavi 09:21 AM 03-17-2010
Darrell, you took the words right out of my mouth. I def caught myself dozing off at times.
[Reply]
BFallehy 09:38 AM 03-17-2010
I was drug to this movie this weekend aswell. I would have to say though that there are some people who will realy want to see this movie on the big screan.
The 3D was only mediocre in my opinion, there has been better and it didn't seem to add much to any of the scenes they were pushing it in. But the visual effects were great. If you realy like movies with great effects and enjoy seeing them on the big screen go see this movie.
If you want to see a movie for the acting and realy enjoy well developed characters... Well I would definatly wait for dvd. Johnny Depp was ok, not his strongest performance but I did like how he recited parts of the Jaberwaky poem.

Basic review, Visual effects strong, Acting poor. Overall it was entertaining for a lazy sunday afternoon with nothing else to do. :-)
[Reply]
fuente~fuente 10:28 AM 03-17-2010
It was OK... I think I rather would have not watched it in 3D. The girl who played Alice is annoying as hell, & I really didn't care for the ending.

Although I consider myself a Tim Burton fan, as well as a Depp fan, I think I'm done with the Depp/Bonham-Carter team up.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up