Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>How was this burger cooked?
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:05 PM 07-12-2011
I hate over cooked burgers, most red meat for that matter. If you have really nice, high quality meat, then cooking on the rare side should be fine.

Now this is how I like em'

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:08 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I hate over cooked burgers, most red meat for that matter. If you have really nice, high quality meat, then cooking on the rare side should be fine.

Now this is how I like em'

I like my steaks cooked Medium rare but burgers I like more medium for some reason.
[Reply]
pektel 12:11 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I like my steaks cooked Medium rare but burgers I like more medium for some reason.
+1. For some reason I don't like arare ground beef. Rare steaks are fine. Now, if you took a ribeye, and ground it right there in front of me with a freshly cleaned machine, I'd eat that med. rare. After slapping you upside the head for grinding up my ribeye, of course. :-)

Reading this thread makes me want to pick up a couple pounds of ground chuck after work and practice. Just wondering how "loosely" to pack the burgers. Guess I'll play around with it a little.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 04:29 PM 07-12-2011
way too rare for me. I like to make stuffed burgers and then oil each side, that way you can cook it to where it is done but also have the juicy rare like feel to the burger.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:50 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by thermal:
I got into a little debate last Friday with my friend about burgers that got me thinking. He wasn’t a big fan of Ray’s Hell Burger cooked medium-rare with the au poivre preparation. He went on to explain that he was a “burger purist,” so he’d try Ray’s again without the mish mash - Just a “real burger,” he said “cooked medium well.” “Burgers aren’t supposed to be bloody.”
Nonsense...all red meat is supposed to be bloody.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:54 PM 07-12-2011
Gotta be well done for me when it comes to burgers. I got hella stoopid sick years ago on an undercooked burger. I cannot even stomach looking at someone eat rare ground beef anymore.

I do 82% and they come out amazing. I cook them to just under well, foil them and let em sit for 10 mins and they come out perfect.
[Reply]
AAlmeter 12:48 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Nonsense...all red meat is supposed to be bloody.
This.

I have yet to find any cook or restaurant that can duplicate exactly the way one particular tavern I go to does them. They are out of this world, and they look very similar to the picture you posted.

From talking with the owner/cook, use 80% lean coarsely ground sirloin. Pack it very tightly, salt, pepper, and throw it on the grill over high heat for a short period of time. Very juicy, very flavorful.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:00 AM 10-13-2011
Not sure how they did it...I did a fun experiment the other day...formed the burgers (hand ground chuck with some extra trimmings from the butcher ~30% fat..oh yeah) Then cooked sous vide style for 4 hours at 131F. Finished with a quick sear on a screaming hot grill to give it that awesome crust. HOLY COW. Frickin' Fantastic.
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 10:01 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by thermal:
.....“Burgers aren’t supposed to be bloody.”
...why do you suppose they call it "red meat"...??....:-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 10:08 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
Gotta be well done for me when it comes to burgers. I got hella stoopid sick years ago on an undercooked burger. I cannot even stomach looking at someone eat rare ground beef anymore.

I do 82% and they come out amazing. I cook them to just under well, foil them and let em sit for 10 mins and they come out perfect.
Most food poisonings are due to kitchen conditions, cross contamination. Cooking meat to well done can lessen that risk, but so can going to a different place that doesn't make you sick for ordering what you like.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:20 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
so can going to a different place that doesn't make you sick for ordering what you like.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 10:52 AM 10-13-2011
Mmmmmmm....

That burger reminds me of when I went to Ted's in Connecticut. It was on that travel channel or something for being one of the few places that still steams their burgers. If anyone is ever out that way I highly recommend trying their burgers! Absolutely delicious!

[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:59 AM 10-13-2011
You should make a note that the stroller is for your dogs!:-):-):-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:06 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
You should make a note that the stroller is for your dogs!:-):-):-)
Yeah....no kids in my future!!! People see us with that thing and always expect to see a kid in it. I guess they get surprised that my wife pushes them around in a dog stroller:-)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 11:32 AM 10-13-2011
I am all for a rare steak and a medium-rare burger but only if I know where the meat came from. Most of the time I buy burger meat it is from the supermarket which gets it from who knows where, in that case medium-well. If my pal who processes meat locally comes over I know his practices and will eat it medium-rare and love every minute of it.
[Reply]
RGD. 07:44 AM 10-14-2011
As for the original post: Last month it was decided that our 18 year grill which had every part except for the lid and the left rear wheel replaced at least once, needed to be tossed out. It's replacement: a CharBroil "Commercial" Series three burner with "infrared" heating. I don't know about "infrared" but it's definitely "indirect" heating. You have the typical burner and cover, then trays with a gazillion little holes followed by another tray of tubes that the food sits on.

So we threw on some hand made burgers and some hot dogs. Burgers cooked well done. The first thing everyone said about the burgers was how juicy they were. Much like the OP picture, they were slightly seared on the outside, well done through the middle and you could not take a bite without the juices running down your chin.
This has been repeated every time we use it. Even the pre-made 1/4 pound burgers came out very moist.

So - it's highly possible the OP burger was cooked in a similar manner.

Ron
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:47 AM 10-14-2011
How was the burger cooked?

With Love!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up