Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>Steel Cut Oats
mariogolbee 10:37 PM 02-13-2011
Thanks for the ideas guys. I love me some steel cut oats and the crock pot idea has intrigued me. I nabbed some little Glad containers and cooking spray and will attempt this this week.
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:14 PM 04-03-2011
An update: I have started cooking this for less time -- 4-6 hours, so that when I reheat using the microwave at work that the oats don't get overcooked.

Also, while I like lots of brown sugar and raisins on my steel cut oats -- alot. I also like a savory version, where I cut up (cooked) sliced sausages into the microwave dishes before I add the oatmeal. The sausage and steel cut oats heat up well in the microwave and tastes great!

I usually do about 3 ounces of sausage and 1 1/4 cups steel cut oats into a microwave container. Makes a great breakfast :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 08:34 PM 07-21-2011
I love using my rice cooker to make my steel cut oats.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:49 PM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
I love using my rice cooker to make my steel cut oats.
How long does it take? How much oats and water do you use?
[Reply]
Jbailey 08:56 PM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
How long does it take? How much oats and water do you use?
Guessing around 15-20min. It came with a plastic cup and for each cup you use you fill it up to the corresponding line in the rice cooker. One cup makes enough for myself. Not sure of the exact amount it makes.
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 01:24 AM 12-03-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Regular oatmeal is flat pieces of oat that have been steamed and rolled flat ala Quaker Oats that you cook up. Steel cut (sometimes called Scottish or Irish) oats are typically cylindrical pieces of oat -- the whole oat or groat, with the husk removed cut into two or three pieces -- that take more time to cook, are more flavorful, and have more texture.

Both are very good.
Exactly right Michael. Also because of how it is not as processed when the Steel Cut Oats is digesting it tends to release the sugar from the starch at a slower pace. What that means is that there is not that sudden drop in blood sugar as you would get when eating regular oatmeal.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 02:15 AM 12-03-2011
I keep mine pretty simple.

4 cups water
1 cup Steel Cut Oats

Simmer for 20-25 mins
Add one tablespoon Peanut Butter

Enjoy!
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:48 AM 12-03-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
I keep mine pretty simple.

4 cups water
1 cup Steel Cut Oats

Simmer for 20-25 mins
Add one tablespoon Peanut Butter

Enjoy!
Just once try adding some sliced up sausage or bacon when you eat it (with or without the peanut butter :-)). I like Johnsonville but we have tried all kinds of sausage and not found a bad one.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 10:12 AM 12-06-2011
I like to add some dried fruits to the crockpot. Tropical mix is pretty good.
An old Boy Scout secret is to soak the crock or cooking pan in ice cold water. It seems like the starch sets and slides right off the pan.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:37 PM 01-09-2012
Interesting I hadn't seen this thread before. Been on a steel cut oat kick lately. Here's my method for making them.

1 C Steel Cut Oats
4 C Water
Pinch of salt
Add all ingredients to a pot, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover and let sit on the stove over night. The next morning you have cooked oats. Just reheat before serving.

If you like them a little creamier, add a cup of milk (I use half/half) and stir.

Last time I added some maple syrup, vanilla and a splash of bourbon to them. Need to work on the ratios, but wasn't too bad.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up