Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Anybody else prefer soft flame?
Brad 09:59 AM 05-15-2010
Couple weeks ago I purchased my first soft flame lighter, up until then I always used torches, and I think I actually like the soft flame better. Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to get a better and more even burn on sticks lit with the soft flame verses a torch. Less touch ups, and less jagged on the edges of the burn line.

Maybe I just suck at lighting sticks properly. Has anyone else noticed this?
[Reply]
captain53 10:02 AM 05-15-2010
Can't stand them because they don't work in the wind, otherwise would be fine as long as they are butane and not zippo fluid or something.
[Reply]
Brad 10:05 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
Can't stand them because they don't work in the wind, otherwise would be fine as long as they are butane and not zippo fluid or something.
It's not a Zippo, it's an EverTorch, uses butane.

You are correct about the wind, but I've had JetLite's and my Blazer also blow out in the wind. My big gripe with torches outside is it's nearly impossible for me to see the actual flame. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:08 AM 05-15-2010
Heh.

I use a bic lighter most of the time.
[Reply]
md4958 10:29 AM 05-15-2010
I like a soft flame but, since I smoke mostly outdoors, they arent very practical for me.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:36 AM 05-15-2010
i have a dual action insert for my zippo. best of both worlds.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Barteur 10:46 AM 05-15-2010
I prefer Soft flame too but since I am always smoking outside most of the time its imposible to light my cigars properly with a soft flame.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 10:49 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
i have a dual action insert for my zippo. best of both worlds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Got a link for this?
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:49 AM 05-15-2010
I almost always use a soft flame. Indoors our out I've no problems with it, quite frankly, there's not many torches out there that are any better in the wind than most soft flames anyway.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:53 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Got a link for this?
http://www.stogietorch.com/Z-Torch.html
[Reply]
The Poet 11:26 AM 05-15-2010
Though I smoke mainly outside, and thus use a torch most often, I have no problem with a Bic . . . and that's part of its appeal. Let's face it: a buck Bic is a more reliable source of fire than a $30 torch, all too much of the time.
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 11:26 AM 05-15-2010
The only lighter I tend to carry is soft flame...but, I smoke mostly indoors...I like the fact that the soft flame doesn't torch everything black when lighting a cigar...plus, I fly a lot...so I have to have a soft flame. I do agree that in the wind, it is insufficient...the wind knocks it out...regardless the price paid for it. If you want to use a torch, either go with the one Pete linked, the Ever-tech, for its the best of both worlds, or the much more expensive S.T. Dupont Maxi-Jet...formerly known as the X-Tend. It has a torch flame that is softer than almost every other torch...
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 11:26 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
That's too bad. A while back, I emailed this site and tried to order a lighter. They never responded. Not gonna bother with that crap again!

And, yes, I know who you are.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 11:26 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
I like a soft flame but, since I smoke mostly outdoors, they arent very practical for me.
Me too, that's why I love my EverTorch. A mostly wind-resistent torch for the initial toasting of the foot and a soft flame for the final light.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 11:35 AM 05-15-2010
Zippo blu is a softer torch and I love it and it doesn't readily get blown out in the wind.
[Reply]
captain53 11:39 AM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker:
The only lighter I tend to carry is soft flame...but, I smoke mostly indoors...I like the fact that the soft flame doesn't torch everything black when lighting a cigar...plus, I fly a lot...so I have to have a soft flame. I do agree that in the wind, it is insufficient...the wind knocks it out...regardless the price paid for it. If you want to use a torch, either go with the one Pete linked, the Ever-tech, for its the best of both worlds, or the much more expensive S.T. Dupont Maxi-Jet...formerly known as the X-Tend. It has a torch flame that is softer than almost every other torch...
I have an X-tend and it is a wonderful piece of equipment!:-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:44 AM 05-15-2010
That's too bad. A while back, I emailed this site and tried to order a lighter. They never responded. Not gonna bother with that crap again!

I didn't get an email from you.
Did you use an underscore between "replicant" and "argent" ?
I have had that issue before, people don't see it when it is underlined.
[Reply]
kydsid 11:49 AM 05-15-2010
Got a link for this?
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:

Well FWIW I ordered mine from Pete (Replicant_Argent). He was helpful and filled my order through PM here at CA. I wouldn't hesitate to to buy another one from him should this one break or be confiscated by TSA.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 12:01 PM 05-15-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Well FWIW I ordered mine from Pete (Replicant_Argent). He was helpful and filled my order through PM here at CA. I wouldn't hesitate to to buy another one from him should this one break or be confiscated by TSA.
x2!
[Reply]
Cigary 12:07 PM 05-15-2010
I'll use a soft flame as long as a wind isn't going to ruin the lighting process. I have lighters that are soft/torch so depending on the elements I'd rather use a soft flame. I get a better taste and burn from a soft flame. Incidentally, I use the soft flame to light my cigar until it is cherry red and blow on the end of it until the burn is even and then I clip the cigar. The first few puffs are great because I don't get the usual hot draws that are typical when you clip the cigar first and then draw. Been doing this for the last few months and have been enjoying my cigars more.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up