Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Hygrometer?
mrgto 11:56 PM 07-06-2009
So i have two digital hygrometers that i have salt tested and neither has been on the money. I have a analog hygro that i have salt tested and it sat right at 75rh. I have some 65% heartfelt beads. When i put the analog in the humi it reads out a rock solid 65%. When i put the digital hygro's in they both read about 55%. The digital's are reading a perfect 70F, which that is the room temp that i keep the humi in. So to make a long story short, should i trust the beads and the analog or the digital hygros? I have heard how poor the analog hygros are so im a little afraid of having too low of rh, but with all the good reviews on the heartfelt beads, i feel i should trust them and my good ole analog hygro.Thanks for any help.

Tim
[Reply]
sodomanaz 01:33 AM 07-07-2009
Salt test your digital hygrometers again, and figure out how off they are, and keep notes. Then try again. Should have better results. :-)
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 07:32 AM 07-07-2009
Stick with the digitals, and then retest them(don't rush the test and don't open early), then mark how much they are off, then let the beads do their thing, smoke a cigar, then relax.:-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:38 AM 07-07-2009
when was the last time you changed the batteries in your digitals?
[Reply]
mrgto 04:54 PM 07-07-2009
I have salt tested the digitals a couple of times with different readings. They are both brand new, so i wold assume the batteries are good.

Am i dumb for believing that the analog is right on since my beads are 65%rh and thats what its telling me?
[Reply]
big a 07:28 PM 07-07-2009
No you are not dumb, i have problems with some of mine in the vino. The top will read 68, middle 60, bottom 68... move them around and they all read 67 or something different. I would trust the beads but at the same time i like to have the digital to back that up. Depending on the batteries i would look at maybe changing those if the hygros are the ones that take AAA. Than as they said do the salt test. make sure you do this test correctly(i use a larger cap or shot glass full of salt than lightly wet) and let them sit for around 48 hours. I also have found putting 2 hygros in one test bag can mess the test up. i also will sometimes double bag them to make sure i have a good seal. Try those and get back to us on the results. In the mean time make sure the beads are around 60-70% clear and you should be fine.
[Reply]
ratpack 08:30 PM 07-07-2009
Check your batteries in it. I change mine every six or seven months. I have the beads also 70F/65% and they work great. Good luck.
[Reply]
shilala 08:38 PM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by mrgto:
so i wold assume the batteries are good.
Get new batteries.
Bad assumption. :-)
[Reply]
mrgto 09:32 PM 07-07-2009
Getting new batteries and rechecking! Thanks for the help!

I knew when i typed assume, i would get busted on that one! Haha!
[Reply]
Up