Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>My Father La Opulencia Robusto
Don Fernando 08:34 PM 11-19-2019
My Father La Opulencia Robusto. La Opulencia follows the path which My Father chose a few years ago. That path is finding old, discontinued Cuban brands, including the original artwork. And then bring those brands back to live as a Nicaraguan cigar. That worked for the Flor de Las Antillas, La Antiguedad, La Gran Oferta, and the La Opulencia is the next stepping stone on that road. For the Garcia family, it’s all about tradition and not let the history and beautiful artwork go to waste.

The La Opulencia comes in several box-pressed sizes. For this review, the 5¼x52 robusto was chosen. The artwork isn’t on the cigar ring as it is on the Flor de Las Antillas and La Antiguedad. The artwork is only used on the box. The cigar is made from Nicaraguan filler and binder. The wrapper comes from Mexico and is of a Rosado Oscuro kind.

Name: My Father La Opulencia
Factory: My Father S.A.
Size: 5¼x52
Vitola: Robusto
Wrapper: Mexico Rosado Oscuro
Binder: Nicaragua Corojo, Nicaragua Criollo
Filler: Nicaragua Corojo, Criollo & Habano
Price: € 12,00
Cutter: Xikar X2
Lighter: long matchstick
Smoke conditions: indoors with ventilator
Smoke time: two hours thirty minutes
Purchased at Cigaragua

THE REVIEW

The cigar looks good, with its dark wrapper. The wrapper feels like velvet. The aroma is strong, soil, barnyard, forest kind of aromas. The cigar has a green, cloth, food band to protect the foot of the cigar. The regular, pinkish, my father ring is on top with a secondary ring in the same style. The secondary ring carries the name La Opulencia. The construction feels great, the triple cap is beautiful.

The cold draw is perfect. The cigar has a little spice, yet a quite dry tobacco aroma. Once lit, there is coffee, leather, chocolate, earthiness, and oak. This cigar starts out full flavored. The chocolate is getting stronger. The leather is lingering around. There’s also roasted coffee beans, hay, and citrus freshness. The citrus is nice, spicy, sweet, and fruity. It compliments the milk chocolate flavor. The second third brings in the classic My Father/Don Pepin Garcia pepper. There is still chocolate, but it changed from milk to dark chocolate. The pepper is on the background and in the aftertaste. There’s also hay and leather in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is buttery and creamy, Halfway, the flavors are roasted coffee with dark chocolate, pepper, some sweetness, and leather. Those flavors are all bound together by a mild, yet nice, citrus flavor that balances it all out. The final third gives more roasted coffee beans, pepper, oak, leather, and citrus. The flavors are clean and very nuanced. Even though the base flavors are the same, there is a lot of evolution going. But it’s all subtle and nuanced. Near the end, the flavor profile leans to nuts with dark chocolate, pepper, and leather. The mouthfeel continues to be buttery.

The ash is salt and pepper colored. Flaky but firm. The burn is good, not perfect but good. The ash is medium thick and full. This cigar starts out medium bodied, full flavored but creeps up to full bodied, full flavored. The smoke time is two hours and thirty minutes.

Strength: medium-full
Flavor: full

For the final score with a scientific diagram, a video and pictures, go to: https://ministryofcigars.com/my-fath...encia-robusto/
[Reply]
Up