Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Illusione Epernay
OHRD 08:54 AM 07-30-2010
First off, shout out to Superbad for hooking me up with these - Bobby is kick ass!

Size: 4.5×44, Le Petite

Wrapper: Sun grown Corojo ’99 (Café Rosado)

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Cabinet of 50, $332.50

Grade: 9.4

Illusione is of course well known in the cigar industry – Dion Giolito is responsible for the Illusione, Epernay, Cruzado, and the mixed filler Cuchillos Cubanos.

The Illusione Epernay from Dion debuted in 2008 and was patterned after a special release in honor of the European Cigar Cult Journal’s 15th Anniversary, the eccj – the eccj came in one size, a 5 5/8×46 Corona Gorda. The Epernay is a milder cigar than the eccj and has a more extensive size line, with a sixth vitola introduced in 2010. The available sizes are all sold in Cabinets of 50:

Le Petite – 4 1/2 x 44
Le Ferme – 48 x 5 1/4
Le Elegance – 5 3/4 x 40
Le Grande – 6 x 46
Le Monde – 6 1/4 x 52

* And new for 2010, is the Le Matin, a box pressed 6.75×46 that is sold in boxes of 25 rather than Cabinets of 50.

The Epernay is named for the center of France’s Champagne region, and is said to be a blend that pairs ideally with the bubbly drink, although I did not test this theory. The Epernay is a Nicaraguan puro with tobacco from two farms and a shade grown Corojo ’99 wrapper. It is produced in the Raices Cubanas factory in Honduras, like other Illusione cigars.

Be sure to check Illusione out online and follow Dion on Twitter. Also, for more Illusione reviews from us, click on the following: Cruzado, 88, cg4, and the mk.

Now, on to the review.

Pre-light, 2.0:
The wrapper on the Epernay is stunning – a silky smooth, chocolate brown wrapper with a flawless roll, minimal veins, a perfect triple cap, no soft spots, and dark, leathery spotting – flawless. Despite the petite size, the cigar has a nice weight to it. The draw is open and produces a muted profile for the most part. The aroma on the stick is the same from cap to foot – very rich and full, with a velvety profile, sweet cedar notes, and some mustiness along the edges. Overall, this is one of the best looking sticks I’ve ever held.

Burn, 1.8:
The burn produces a plentiful amount of smoke with an effortless draw and a cool temperature from start to finish. The ash is well colored, but a bit loose and flaky along the edges, though this is not abnormal for the ring gauge size.

Flavor, 2.8:
The spice on this cigar is as it should be (according to my flavor palate) – mild, unpronounced, and a compliment to the rest of the flavor profile. Due to the size, this cigar works more into halves, with a mild spice and woody profile running the full length of the cigar. The first half produces creamy notes of honey, graham cracker, and a buttery cedar, while the second half brings a dryer profile with cedar and some bordering oak notes. As the cigar progresses the profile becomes less erratic and creates a calm, gentle, and smooth finish.

Overall, 2.8:
Is this the ultimate mild experience? It’s close, I’ll say that. With a gorgeous wrapper, an effortless burn, and a complex flavor profile, the Epernay is quite an experience. There is however one problem for me – the Epernay line is only sold in singles, five packs, and cabinets of 50; even at the cabinet quantity, the single price is still over $6.50 for a 30 minute smoke – these aren’t cheap. I’ve seen quite a few forum posts for cabinet splits, so there is always a way around it if you really enjoy the stick. This is definitely something I plan to keep around at all times in my humidor, but I don’t see myself investing in a Cabinet just for myself.

(Total: 9.4)
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:15 AM 07-30-2010
Brought this to smoke at work today. Now I can't wait to try it!

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
OHRD 09:19 AM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by jonumberone:

Thanks for the review!
It's so good it'll grow that hair back on the left and right side of your mohawk!
[Reply]
issues 09:28 AM 07-30-2010

Thanks for the review!

Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
It's so good it'll grow that hair back on the left and right side of your mohawk!
Funny thing is, he's not kidding!

All of the Epernay lines are fantastic, just wish they would do 25ct boxes...

There is one line of Epernay’s that do come in a 25ct box (Le Matin) but man are they expensive (11.25 a stick at box price!)!!!
[Reply]
Superbad 09:40 AM 07-30-2010
Now you see why I love it. As for buying them, my local B&M ordered a cabinet at my request, and each time I go in I have picked up 5-10 of them. I have about 24 in my humidor now. It was an easier way to accumulate a decent collection of them, without shelling out a lot of money at one time.
Great review, and I am glad you liked them.
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:43 AM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael:
Originally Posted by issues:
Funny thing is, he's not kidding!

All of the Epernay lines are fantastic !
Glad to hear!
Don't want to thread jack, but would it be ok if I smoked along with your review and added my Noob comments later?
[Reply]
Mr B 09:58 AM 07-30-2010
One of THE BEST NC's, IMO. I love these things. Although I would catagorize them as more medium than mild. I am a fan of the Le Elegance and Le Petite.
If you have not tried these, you should. :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 10:04 AM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Now you see why I love it. As for buying them, my local B&M ordered a cabinet at my request, and each time I go in I have picked up 5-10 of them. I have about 24 in my humidor now. It was an easier way to accumulate a decent collection of them, without shelling out a lot of money at one time.
Great review, and I am glad you liked them.
That's a cool thing of them to do.
[Reply]
OHRD 10:05 AM 07-30-2010
Glad to hear!
Don't want to thread jack, but would it be ok if I smoked along with your review and added my Noob comments later?
That would be awesome - my comments are kinda "noob" as well; I had never tried them before Bobby sent the 3 along.
[Reply]
AUguy 11:30 AM 07-30-2010
Had one of these last week and burned my darn fingertips. My brother is a big fan of most all Illusiones and I think we may go in on a box together around Christmas time.

Nice review!
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:11 PM 07-30-2010
Finished mine about an hour or so ago and I smoked along with the review.

I found that parts of my smoke were dead on with your review!

Tons of Creamy velvet smoke, flawless draw, cool temperature, and woodsy notes throughout.

Where my smoke differed seems to be in the first half.
I didn't get any Graham cracker, sweet honey, buttery goodness out of mine.
This could be my noob palate, but I was looking hard for any other flavors.

You Listed the spice level as mild and unpronounced. In mine it was nonexistant.
This cigar just fell flat to me. I felt like I should grab it with two hands, and draw as hard as I could to get something more from it.

All said though it wasn't a bad smoke. I didn't get any flavors that I didn't like. I just felt like something was missing.
If I would've gotten the sweetness that you did in the first half, it may have changed the whole thing around

I have a few more and a Line sampler. I will try another size and come back to try another Le Petite after a little more rest. (and practice)

Thanks again for the review.
Smoking the stick while following along helped open my eyes to some things. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:16 PM 07-30-2010
Nice review Matthew. Might have to torch the one I have in the humi.
[Reply]
Chingas 10:25 PM 07-30-2010
Nice review guys. I had my first La Grande today. I really liked it. I thought mine was 09 but I guess that's not possible according to the said info. I got to get my head on straight!
[Reply]
cigarlvr 05:28 AM 07-31-2010
Great review they are a staple in my humidor but then again anything from Illusione is a good amount in the humidor
[Reply]
bigdix 05:34 AM 07-31-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
One of THE BEST NC's, IMO. I love these things. Although I would catagorize them as more medium than mild. I am a fan of the Le Elegance and Le Petite.
If you have not tried these, you should. :-)
Le Elegance is my favorite vitola in this line...delicious! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:38 AM 07-31-2010
Nice Reviews, Guys!:-) I Love The Whole Illusione Line, The Le Elegance Being My Favorite! Maybe It's The Name Of That Vitola, But It Does It For Me!:-)
[Reply]
Bdeuce22 09:40 AM 07-31-2010
I love the Epernay line. Definitely try it with champagne. it's amazing that the cigar really does match the delicate flavors of champagne.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:46 AM 07-31-2010
Finished mine about an hour or so ago and I smoked along with the review.

I found that parts of my smoke were dead on with your review!

Tons of Creamy velvet smoke, flawless draw, cool temperature, and woodsy notes throughout.

Where my smoke differed seems to be in the first half.
I didn't get any Graham cracker, sweet honey, buttery goodness out of mine.
This could be my noob palate, but I was looking hard for any other flavors.

You Listed the spice level as mild and unpronounced. In mine it was nonexistant.
This cigar just fell flat to me. I felt like I should grab it with two hands, and draw as hard as I could to get something more from it.

All said though it wasn't a bad smoke. I didn't get any flavors that I didn't like. I just felt like something was missing.
If I would've gotten the sweetness that you did in the first half, it may have changed the whole thing around

I have a few more and a Line sampler. I will try another size and come back to try another Le Petite after a little more rest. (and practice)

Thanks again for the review.
Smoking the stick while following along helped open my eyes to some things. :-)
Try & get hold of a Le Elegance. The even smaller RG makes for a slightly med and more flavorful stick in the Epernays.
Infact, P.M. me your address. I will send ya one to try.

Brent
[Reply]
Chingas 03:19 PM 07-31-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Try & get hold of a Le Elegance. The even smaller RG makes for a slightly med and more flavorful stick in the Epernays.
Infact, P.M. me your address. I will send ya one to try.

Brent

Can of worms!
[Reply]
mariogolbee 03:42 PM 07-31-2010
I finally tried the Le Elegance earlier today. It was PIF'd to me by Mean D in the NC MAW but I hadn't gotten around to it. It was okay for the first two thirds but in the last third on through the nub it developed nicely and was just oh so good.
[Reply]
Up