Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Flor Dominicana double ligero 660
Don Fernando 01:30 AM 07-26-2010
I smoked and liked quite a few La Flor Dominicana double ligero cigars even though I never reviewed one, why I don't know. But it's time to change that and so I decided to light this La Flor Dominicana double ligero 660. The name is a mystery to me, whenever I hear 660 I expect a 6 inch cigar with a 60 ring, but this 660 is only 4⅝ x 60. The double ligero cigar line is made from Dominican binder and filler that is grown on the La Flor Domincana farm wrapped in an Ecuadorian sun grown leaf. This thin but fat cigar has a price tag of € 6.50 in The Netherlands.

The wrapper is nice, dark and oily but it feels fat and even a bit sticky when I touch it. I don't see any real veins. The construction feels hard. The cigar has a mild barnyard & straw smell. The predraw is a bit on the hard side and I taste pepper and raisin.

I taste a mildly bitter coffee flavor with a hint of chocolate and some pepper. After a quarter of an inch I also taste some wood instead of the coffee with every now and then a hint of creamy chocolate. These flavors don't change much in the first half of the cigar except that the chocolate seems to fade away and the wood gets a bit stronger.

Halfway I also taste some nut flavors and some toast with the wood. The wood and toast disappear at the two third mark and all I taste is nuts with some herbs.

Even though this is only a 4⅝ long, or should I say short, cigar, it lasted me for two hours. I got a lot of smoke, but the smoke was thin. The draw was good, just like the burn. I had some minor burn issues but I didn't have to correct it. The light gray ash is firm. I would say this cigar is medium to full flavored and full bodied, with a nice build up.

Would I buy this cigar again? I will buy more La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero but in another vitola, a 60 ring is too big for me.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
maninblack 01:59 AM 07-26-2010
Thanks for the review! I prefer larger ring gauge's, so this would be right up my alley.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:35 AM 07-26-2010
Thanks for the fine review Ferdie...I enjoy these!! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 04:19 AM 07-26-2010
Great Review, Ferdie!:-) I Love The LFDs! I, Too, Prefer A Smaller RG, Though, Even If I Do Have A Big Mouth!:-):-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 04:56 AM 07-26-2010
I tried one of these a few months ago. I can't remember any flavor notes (I can barely recall what I had for breakfast :-)), but my overall impression mirrored yours. Decent construction, a few burn issues, not a great deal of smoke considering the size.
[Reply]
Up