Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton VSG Illusion
bigdix 04:39 AM 07-24-2010
I'm sure it's been done a hundred times before, but I'd like a wag at it. Also, I took photos, but uploading them here is a ***** it seems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Setting: My front porch in Okinawa, Japan.
Beverage: Maker's Mark Bourbon, neat.

Prelight: This is an extremely well constructed cigar. No veins to speak of, the wrapper is beautiful, and it smells exquisite. The prelight draw was earthy and a bit sweet....just seemed like primo tobacco. I've smoked a couple of these in the past, so I figured it was about time.

First 1/3: Lit beautifully, delicious. Sweet with hints of what the cigar was to later become. A little sweetness, a tad spicy, nice white ash, I had immediately remembered why I liked these cigars.

Second 1/3: The flavors were coming together here. A tasty smoke, gorgeous ash, no burn issues whatsoever. Just the right amount of spice, complimented the bourbon VERY well. Hints of lavender, and GREAT tobacco. Quite the lovely little bouquet.

Third 1/3: This thing is a flavor explosion! Fantastic. Not too much nicotene, and it seems the flavors have remained constant. Fairly one-dimensional, but very matured. Easily one of the best smokes in the humi at the moment! This thing is great with a little whiskey. I almost ate the nub.

Final thoughts: Great cigar, as I remembered. Would I buy a box? Hell yes, I plan on it. Great construction, a bit of a tight draw in the beginning but that fixed itself. Perfect after dinner smoke. About 70 mins for me.

I hope this helps somebody who hasn't had one (though they must be from Mars!).

Happy Smoking, Brothers/Sisters!!!
Dan :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 04:47 AM 07-24-2010
Great Review Of An Awesome Stick! Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
bigdix 04:58 AM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Great Review Of An Awesome Stick! Thanks!:-)
Thanks brother! Only my second review here, but I'm loving every minute of this place...even though it only fuels my obsession! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:12 AM 07-24-2010
Originally Posted by bigdix:
Thanks brother! Only my second review here, but I'm loving every minute of this place...even though it only fuels my obsession! :-)
Don't Worry, It Gets Worse On The Obsession End!:-)
[Reply]
bigdix 05:20 AM 07-24-2010
Dammit!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 11:36 AM 07-24-2010
Good job on the review Dan.

I use to not be a fan of the VSG and just thought very highly of the ESG but within the past year, I have started to lean more towards the VSG.
[Reply]
bigliver 07:14 PM 07-24-2010
Great review. Of course I'm gonna have to verify your claims. Sounds like a good reason to get together to me.
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:14 PM 07-24-2010
I call it my Black Cherry cigar,thanks for the review!
[Reply]
bigdix 02:05 AM 07-25-2010
Originally Posted by bigliver:
Great review. Of course I'm gonna have to verify your claims. Sounds like a good reason to get together to me.
:-)
[Reply]
issues 09:53 AM 07-25-2010
Excellent review Dan! :-)

The Illusion is my favorite vitoal in the VSG line, a great stick no doubt!
[Reply]
rizzle 10:03 AM 07-26-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Excellent review Dan! :-)

The Illusion is my favorite vitoal in the VSG line, a great stick no doubt!
:-) Loves me some Illusions. :-)
[Reply]
Up