Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Sibling Rivalry: Viaje Exclusivo Robusto
themadurokid 09:53 PM 01-29-2010
Soooo, my big brother challenged me to a "view off!" Lol, here's my side of story on Andre's latest introduction to the Viaje line. Keep your eyes out for round 2!

Cigar: Viaje Exclusivo Robusto
Length: 4 7/8”
Gauge: 50
Strength: Full
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Origin: Nicaraguan

Construction: Shame on you Viaje! First you go and stuff the heck out of this cigar with what is probably some of your best filler yet. I mean, there's not a soft spot to be found. Then you go and wrap this thing with this gorgeous oily criollo wrapper. I mean for Andre's sake, this things virtually seamless and it has at most two small veins, I have to squint to see! THEN to top it all off you had the audacity to seal the deal with a beautiful double pig-tailed cap, allowing for a flawless cut or punch. Yep, I think the Viaje guys definitely have it out for me...

Prelight Draw: As I take that first pull, I get pleasantly dazed by a quick jab of hazelnut and nutmeg. As my taste buds recover, I blindly stumble into a combo of sweet tobacco, cedar and sweet hay. Cigar has just a tad bit of drag on the draw, which is just right for my taste.

First Draw: I got nutty undertones along with vanilla and notes of cedar that was there in the prelight draw. There's also little pepper also rolling off the back of my tongue. The smoke is damn smooth and creamy. So far, so good.

First Third: The hazelnut hangs in there with a tight lil’ grip. It’s joined by some as well as a good bit of perfectly roasted coffee beans, far from that soot they call themselves brewing at Starbucks (personal opinion). With every draw the nutty undertones of the smoke get a little more toasty, and I get start to get some leather. The smoke maintains its velvety texture which comes as a bit of a surprise, because this thing packs a punch!

Second Third: At the start of the second third, the cedar and pepper stand guard, while there comrade Private Steak sneaks in and catches my tastebuds by surprise. Steak? Yes, steak. The smoke takes on a meaty character, that I can only describe as steak. There's also some earth beginning to show up The pepper that was there at the start of this third took off running like a cat caught in the rain! HOWEVER, don't mistake that lack of pepper for weakness. This stick demands respect! I have a heck of a nicotine buzz at this point, and thats coming from that kid down the street whose been a chain smoker since 14.

Final Third: By the final third, rich tobacco, espresso, roasted nuts, cedar, earth, beef and salt balance like a dancer in the velvety smoke. The cigar has a clean finish of leather, earth, pepper, coffee and cedar. I also taste that cubanesque taste so many brothers have been talking about. And the strength...Even as a lover of full-bodied smokes, I am humbled by the incredible power of this fine cigar.

Total Smoke Time: 1hr 25min

Conclusion: I must say that I am impressed with this cigar. After reading a couple other reviews on it, I was afraid it would be too bland for my taste, but I wasn’t disappointed. Now I did have to relight it once and correct it twice so it does lose a couple points for that. To me it felt like a blend of a cuban and a domestic cigar. The flavors shift in the different stages of the cigar, but each stage is pretty well balanced. If you can find some, grab ‘em! Thanks for reading and enjoy the visuals~ The Maduro Kid

[Reply]
kelmac07 09:56 PM 01-29-2010
Nice review...have a few of these waiting for me back in Virginia. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:33 PM 01-29-2010
Excellent review, and fantastic pics!
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:36 PM 01-29-2010
Thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:39 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by themadurokid:
hazelnut, nutmeg, sweet tobacco, cedar, sweet hay, nutty, vanilla, pepper, coffee beans, leather. steak, earth, espresso, roasted nuts, salt, coffee
That has to be a new record for flavors!! :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:45 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That has to be a new record for flavors!! :-)
How quickly you forget. :-)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19747
[Reply]
heavyd 07:48 AM 01-30-2010
Great review. I was wondering about these - now need to pull the trigger on a Viaje sampler :-)
[Reply]
themadurokid 11:03 PM 01-31-2010
Thanks everybody!
[Reply]
Goldie 01:07 AM 02-01-2010
Nice review and pics. I really like the looks of those cigars and have read nothing but good reviews about them.
[Reply]
cigarlvr 01:03 PM 02-25-2010
Man I smoked another one if these yesterday and what a great smoke. Just wish these would be a regular line.
[Reply]
Ewingrules 04:14 PM 07-28-2010
When I opened up the bundle today the smell was heavenly. I smoked one right out of the truck and all I can say is wow. This is one of the best NC I have ever had. I thought I was **** out of luck when I missed the jar release but these are awesome.:-)
[Reply]
Up