Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>5 Vegas Gold Double Nickle
BlackDog 12:17 PM 10-18-2008
I smoked a 5 Vegas Double Nickle with a cup of coffee this morning. This was my first 5V Gold. It is a very handsome cigar. The cigar has a shade grown CT wrapper, Honduran binder, and Nicaraguan/Honduran filler. I figured this cigar was going to be right up my alley.

When I lit it I was immediately pleased with the flavor. Sweet maduro-like flavor with a bit of pepper. Very nice. The draw was loose, but not bad. Gentle draws were the rule. Lots of smoke. After about a half inch or so the flavor transitioned to sweet tea and a little vanilla. Nice for the morning.

Then the cigar sort of went bland. Not bad, just sort of nothing. Every now & then the sweet tea would try to come back, but never quite made it. Through the main body of the cigar there was nothing much to say about the flavor of the cigar. The burn was crooked but not bad, and there was still lots of smoke.

When I got nearer to the band I tried to remove it, and disaster struck. The wrapper was glued to the band, and started to unravel when I removed the band. I tried to use some spit to hold it together, but nothing doing. The wrapper kept unravelling as I smoked. Since there wasn't much going on flavor-wise, and the wrapper was a PITA, I decided to toss the rest of the cigar.

Overall I had high hopes for this cigar, but was left feeling disappointed. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:32 PM 10-18-2008
The 5 Vegas Gold toro is my Saturday morning with coffee cigar. I really like them but have had the wrapper cut when I would try to slide the band off. Now I always unwrap the band before I light it. I just got some of the Double Nickels in a package buy. I hope yours was just an off one.
[Reply]
Up