Island (The other ones) Reviews>Camacho Scorpion
Ratters 12:54 AM 10-17-2008
Cigar: Camacho Scorpion
Vitola: 6x54 perfecto
Wrapper: Honduran Corojo
Binder: Honduran Corojo
Filler: Honduran Corojo
Extra ingredient: A little slice of heaven
Cost: Gift, but I've seen boxes going for around $180 if you can find them. Not sure what the new one is going to cost.

Setting: Sun room, mid 70s, pairing with a Barq's about 5:30pm after a **** suck of a day.

Pre-light: Cigar is a nice perfecto shape, just tapered at the ends. Wrapper is a nice and oily, toothy medium reddish/brown with medium to prominent size veins. The prelight smell was that of sweet tobacco. The cigar is firm and uniform. Not hard like the Triple Maduro can be, but just firm and springy to the touch. The cap cut easily without any drama and the draw was nigh perfect with some corojo flavored sweetness on the tongue.

First third: Cigar lit up easily on the perfecto foot. Not a large amount of smoke until I reached the main portion of the cigar. The cigar starts off with a medium to full body and lots of flavor, but very smooth at the same time. The cigar hits strong with the corojo flavors, leather and wood, with a touch of the sweetness in there. Once into the cigar proper the smoke is very rich and creamy, with just a slight touch of spice on the tongue. The ash is holding firm and the burn line is razor straight.

Second third: Well, the ash dropped at about an inch and a half. Burn line still looking great. Well into the full range. Full of body, full of smoke, full flavor, full of goodness. The flavor has changed a tad to something I can't quite put my finger on. Still that leathery sweet corojo goodness, but with a touch of spice, cooking type spice. Maybe nutmeg? But man whatever it is it's good. The nic content seems to be relatively strong, but not over the top. The finish is smooth and creamy, but not really heavy. And it's really really pleasant. I grabbed my soda to take a sip and put it back down just to enjoy it a little longer.

Final third: Ah, the goodness continues. Man, perfect burn, perfect draw, perfect smoke all the way through. More than making up for the crappy day. I'm a slow smoker but the cigar is smoking slowly as well. I'm about an hour and a half in and just hitting the final third. With no relights or touchups. The flavors are the same although amped up a bit. An accidental "retrohale" left a good bit of spice in the sinuses, but not in a painful way. Maybe I should learn how to do that. The smoke continues to be rich and creamy making for awesome smoke rings.

Final thoughts: Wow, what a great cigar. These were a version of the Camacho Corojo Limited that Christian Erioa decided to box age at the factory before releasing. All I can say is BRAVO! I've only had on other one when my Bay Area Brothers of the Leaf way too generously gifted me with a box. It was great then, but I was with friends which always makes cigars taste better. But now that I've had one to pay attention to it is as good as I remembered and better. Truly a perfect smoking experience. Great taste, perfect burn, long lasting, even the resting smoke was great smell. Makes me regret giving over half of the box away. I should have been hoarding these like a greedy little bastard. I wonder if the new version will be as good. I'm doubting it as I don't believe they will be factory aged like these. Disclaimer: I am a bit of a Camacho whore, but I can't really imagine anyone not loving this smoke. Total smoke time: 2:15

Liked it: OMFG yes.
Buy it again: Looking for stuff to sell and a place to buy from right now.
Reccommend: Of course, though they are a tad difficult to find now. Might just have to mooch some off my buddy.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 12:57 AM 10-17-2008
Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
dmoby 01:35 AM 10-17-2008
I was surprised how good this cigar is, the draw was somewhat to easy but it had good flavor with med/full strength.
[Reply]
Up