Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Robet Burns de Luxe... my first clear
stearns 09:11 AM 10-16-2008
posted this on another forum, but mine as well post it here as well, to get the reviews section growing. this is my first written review, so i figure'd i'd do it with a special stick K Baz gave me. had a pretty crappy weekend last, so i needed something to cheer myself up on monday. this did the trick.

was rummaging through the vino, and decided that this was as good as any time to smoke my first clear havana, a Robert Burns de Luxe. The cello was extremely yellow, and made me smile as i took it out. i began thinking about what was going on in the world as this was package, but all i can think about is the rise of Mao... curse you school. brewed up a pot of my nice tea i picked up in a market in London, and went to work.

Anyways, took it out, while it had its share of veins, and even cracked a bit horizontally, i thought it looked beautiful. cut it with my palio even though it was pulling great through the pre-cut punch. after cut, it drew perfectly... literally. took to the flame like a champ, and instantly began burning perfectly.

The initial draw was mild enough to breathe completely out the nose, but tasted like heaven. Its hard to pinpoint any exact flavors, i had the floral sense still on my tongue from the tea, but whatever was coming in i loved, and have never tasted before. the ash was solid, and fell off just as i finished up the first third.

keep in mind, i was on my balcony and it was getting dark, so the pictures arent the best quality. anyways, back to the cigar. the second third came, and the flavors picked up. i could still breathe partially out of my nose, but not the full puffs i was getting before. similar flavor profile to the beginning, just a bit stronger.

around the end of the second third, the part that had split caught flame. kinda coo looking, didnt effect the burn or taste, so i enjoyed as i took the puff that made it go up.

the last third brought a harsh taste to my tongue, however a different taste from the first two thirds. i could only nose breathe a little of each puff, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, just another fold in its complexity... ya know... to keep me on my feet and all. i nubbed this thing until the very end, when i couldnt physically hold it any more. in total, it was three pieces of ash, with the final part still attached to the nub when i set it down. did not have to touch up at all, and while not a razor sharp burn, it was a top notch cigar.

all in all, this was an amazing cigar, and an amazing experience. im glad that i have a small (very small) collection of clears to smoke over the next few years, or whenever i need a pleasant cheer up. if anybody gets a chance, do yourself a favor and acquire one of these, and dont save it for a special occasion, just smoke it when you need a lift up.

this concludes my first written review ever, let alone on this forum. hope i didnt f up too bad, enjoy

stearns
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:12 AM 10-16-2008
Great stuff Ben...
[Reply]
Prozac_Puros 09:34 AM 10-17-2008
Great review Ben, Nice pics.
[Reply]
MaytagMan 09:42 AM 10-17-2008
Great review and pics!
[Reply]
ahc4353 09:43 AM 10-17-2008
Nicely done Ben.
[Reply]
Coz77 11:57 AM 10-17-2008
Great review...that stick looks :-)
[Reply]
spud2 01:22 PM 10-17-2008
Nice review, great pics, can't believe how white the ash was!
[Reply]
UPHOTO 03:50 PM 10-17-2008
Okay smack me for this BUT.....

What is a "clear" cigar?

I know.....
[Reply]
KenS 03:52 PM 10-17-2008
Nice review, and nice ashtray! Exact same one I have :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 07:07 PM 10-17-2008
Originally Posted by spud2:
Nice review, great pics, can't believe how white the ash was!
:-)
[Reply]
HK3- 08:21 PM 10-17-2008
OH man how I love these clears! :-)

Thanks for the review and pics!
[Reply]
massphatness 08:27 PM 10-17-2008
Bravo, Ben!
[Reply]
Starscream 09:04 PM 10-17-2008
Well done. Nice looking stick too.:-)
[Reply]
K Baz 08:58 AM 10-18-2008
Originally Posted by UPHOTO:
Okay smack me for this BUT.....

What is a "clear" cigar?

I know.....
Best I could find for a solid explanation was

Fleeing the revolt against Spain in 1868, Cubans originally migrated to Key West and brought the Havana cigar business with them. These cigar makers imported tobacco leaf from Cuba and started rolling. Their product was called "Clear Havana" because little tax was demanded by Spain for raw leaf product compared to finished cigars; "clear" meaning "without tax due".

Borrowed from http://www.kwcigarfactory.com/key_we...rs_history.php

Either way whatever you call these they are SUPER tasty it was a solid review and I am glad you enjoyed it would have like to given you more but I am already down to yragic supply levels. :-)
[Reply]
UPHOTO 12:14 PM 10-18-2008
Thank you. Interesting info, looks like an amazing smoke!
[Reply]
BillyCigars 09:23 PM 10-18-2008
Fantastic review!! I had a very similar experience with my first Clear :-)
[Reply]
Up