Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Need some advice or pointed in the right direction
gorob23 01:49 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
Theres a lot out there to choose from. Some deals include monitors, some dont. Heres something I found on a quick search.
HEY WTF your MY I.T. Guy :-)

Ok he knows his stuff, I would like to throw out the idea of the Mac mini.....I seem to have issues with some of my other computers and am looking at this as my next one...:-)

Rob :-)

I really hate ALL Computers
[Reply]
Silound 02:02 PM 12-09-2011
Dan found a really nice deal. It doesn't include a monitor, but you can order a decent 19" for 125 on Newegg. Office will run you another $130.

I dug around, and ~$800 delivered is the best price I can come up with for a computer that includes Office Home and a 19" monitor. I could shave $100 off of that number, but in my opinion, in 3 years you would be looking at either major upgrades, or a whole new system again. The $100 buys you another 2-3 years of longevity.

You might ask the wife if perhaps you could purchase the computer + Office first, and wait a few months before dropping the extra money on the monitor. I understand that may leave you using an older monitor, but it spreads out the cost to make it slightly more manageable on a budget.
[Reply]
irratebass 02:35 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by Silound:
Dan found a really nice deal. It doesn't include a monitor, but you can order a decent 19" for 125 on Newegg. Office will run you another $130.

I dug around, and ~$800 delivered is the best price I can come up with for a computer that includes Office Home and a 19" monitor. I could shave $100 off of that number, but in my opinion, in 3 years you would be looking at either major upgrades, or a whole new system again. The $100 buys you another 2-3 years of longevity.

You might ask the wife if perhaps you could purchase the computer + Office first, and wait a few months before dropping the extra money on the monitor. I understand that may leave you using an older monitor, but it spreads out the cost to make it slightly more manageable on a budget.
That is a way to go, but that will be a hard pill to swallow.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:45 PM 12-09-2011
I bought a lenovo recently and I love it. Solid laptop thus far and has awesome specs for an unbeatable price. Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, etc, couldn't hold a candle to the price. It was literally hundreds less.
[Reply]
shark 06:57 PM 12-09-2011
I recently upgraded to a Gateway SX2855-UB22P that I bought turnkey from Best Buy. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit), an Intel Core i3 processor at 3.1 Ghz, a 1 TB hard drive, 4GB of DDR3 memory, a DVD player/burner. Only kinda weak point I see so far is the Intel integrated video. Not really an issue since I do no gaming, but it handles HD video and the like really well, IMO. It didn't come with a full Microsoft Office package, however. Hey, I'm happy with it, since the prior machine was a 900 Mhz Celeron machine with a 20 Gb Seagate HD and 512 MB of the old RAM I don't recall the exact spec of, other than the front side bus was only 100 MhZ...:-)
[Reply]
Chingas 07:20 PM 12-09-2011
Brother, if built and fixed far too many computers to count. The guys recommending the Lenovos are on track. Lenovos are a decent build that'll do just about all home pc, moderate level operations. Taxing tasks will take a shade longer but you may never do those tasks.

HP's have been good for awhile as well. Noticing less and less issues with them. You can hit their site and "build your own" to get the right price.

Essentially for light duty you can get away with an Intel i3 processor. I've always been a fan of AMD and some serious deals can be had if you head down that Road.

PM me for software ideas.
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 07:21 PM 12-09-2011
You might want to drop by Best Buy. I bought my Toshiba for $400. My Dell which is about 3 years old broke last month and I got a Mac.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up