Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Perdomo habano corojo robusto
Don Fernando 12:28 PM 03-28-2009
This 5 x 52 Perdomo Habano with the Nicaraguan binder and filler has a dark Corojo wrapper with quite a lot of veins. The construction feels good; I could not detect any soft spots. The cigar band is quite big for a cigar this size and the foot is protected by another small band which says “Corojo”. The cigar is packed in cellophane. Once released from the cellophane I could smell a barnyard odor coming from the cigar. When I cut the cigar with my palio, the wrapper cracked. Fortunately I could still smoke the cigar without having to deal with sucking in false air. The predraw was just fine and left me with a flavor of raisin on the lips.

Lighting this cigar with my blazer torch was quite hard, harder than most cigars. The first puffs leave a slightly bitter coffee flavor on my palate and just after a few puffs I could taste some light pepper too. After half an inch the coffee fades away, but the bitterness stays combined with some wood. The bitterness fades away slowly and I could also discover some chocolate.

took this pic because I got a few remarks from people that they would recognize my hands by now, and wondered what I looked like

The coffee makes a comeback at about a third of the cigar until I reach the middle of the cigar. There I noticed that the flavors grew stronger and the smoke gets a bit thicker. The coffee disappears again and the woody flavors are back. The structure of the smoke is a bit creamy. The last third brings me some chocolate as an extra flavor next to the wood, and close to the turning point there is some noticeable black pepper too.

The burn was straight as an arrow in the first part, but then it got pretty crooked to the point where I had to correct. The smoke was medium to thin in the beginning but became fuller towards the end. At the 2/3rd point the wrapper cracked completely open. I consider this a mild to medium bodied cigar with a mild to medium strong flavor palate.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I did like the last part of the cigar, but the road to the good part goes through too much harshness to make this a recurring smoke.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Aroma (first part) 5 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:36 PM 03-28-2009
thanks for the review. I have had very similar experiences with this cigar.
[Reply]
Catfish 12:37 PM 03-28-2009
Excellent review, Sir. Thank you for taking the time to present this.
[Reply]
s15driftking 01:04 PM 03-28-2009
i deff. enjoy the maduro more than the Corojo. give it a whirl my friend you might be surprised!
[Reply]
AllOGistics 04:45 PM 03-28-2009
I just reviewed this cigar today for Tom. I had the EXACT same problem with the cigar. I found the flavor near the end to be good, but it really wasn't worth fighting a flaking wrapper.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:53 PM 03-28-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
thanks for the review. I have had very similar experiences with this cigar.
Originally Posted by AllOGistics:
I just reviewed this cigar today for Tom. I had the EXACT same problem with the cigar. I found the flavor near the end to be good, but it really wasn't worth fighting a flaking wrapper.
I am happy to read this, not because you guys had problems too, but to read that I wasn't the only one with the problems so it wasn't my fault.
[Reply]
AllOGistics 09:22 PM 03-28-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I am happy to read this, not because you guys had problems too, but to read that I wasn't the only one with the problems so it wasn't my fault.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read your review. I was a little worried that it may of been something I did. I was thinking about trying another soon just to see if it was the cigar or me, but now I think that I know the answer after hearing from a few people. After I finished the review and saw your post, I looked around and saw that the reviewer at Stogie Guys had burn issues as well. I also have to review the Habano natural. It will be interesting to see if it is strictly wrapper related or is the cigar as a whole.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:54 AM 03-29-2009
I have the lot 23 to review, maybe I will smoke that one today to see if that one has burning issues.
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:40 AM 03-29-2009
you will like the lot 23 better probably... even though i personally prefer the habano. the lot 23 is super chocolate-y
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:07 PM 03-29-2009
I love chocolaty smokes :-) didn't light the Lot 23 today, decided to go for something else and I may have made a bad choice (review of the Oliveiros XL for men which I smoked today will be posted later)
[Reply]
icantbejon 12:19 PM 03-29-2009
I agree w/ s15. Try the habano maddy, it's quite a bit better than the corojo IMO. I have yet to try the Lot 23's. For some reason, my B&M seems to only carry the natural, and I really want to try the maddy first. Oh well, another time perhaps.
[Reply]
borndead1 03:32 PM 03-29-2009
Thanks for the review, Don. I've smoked one of these, but in a larger size, toro I think. I thought it was a very good blend and had no problems at all with it. Also tried the maduro wrapper, it was OK but nothing I would seek out again.

EDIT: Is it just me or does Don Fernando look kinda like Jonathan Drew? :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:23 PM 03-29-2009
Very nice review!!!

Great pics!!!:-)

I have to try this one now!!!

[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 04:28 PM 03-29-2009
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
i deff. enjoy the maduro more than the Corojo. give it a whirl my friend you might be surprised!
:-)
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 10:57 AM 06-17-2009
Good review. I love these corjos. I haven't had the wrapper issues, but I let them rest for quite awhile, and perhaps that helps.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 11:53 AM 06-17-2009
I have always liked this cigar I usually prefer the torpedo shape, and have never had a problem with any of the wrappers. I find the wrapper spicy but not overpowering, and wish there was more stuff available with the corojo wrapper.
[Reply]
G G 12:28 PM 06-17-2009
Thanks for a great review Ferdie.
[Reply]
ade06 12:33 PM 06-17-2009
Nice review and more importantly... nice hat!
[Reply]
Up