Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>A. Flores 1975 Gran Reserva Sun Grown Habano - Robusto
Sooner 03:03 PM 01-21-2016
Jim and I head out to the smoke shack with a PDR A. Flores 1975 Gran Reserva Sun Grown Habano in Robusto. We examine the cigar through its cellophane prison, and can see it has a simple yet sharp looking black band with a cedar sleeve and a black ribbon around the foot. I predict we will get a nice pleasant cedar smell of the cigar once we break it out of its transparent cover.

We settle down into our chairs and remove the cellophane from the cigar. The aroma that is emitted from the cigar's beautiful Sun Grown Habano wrapper proves that I was way WRONG on what this cigar would offer. We are blasted by the strongest citrus and dark fruit aromas I have ever gotten off a cigar. Forget having to put the cigar up to your nose to smell it, the fruit basket scent hits you from a foot away! These same smells are emitted from the foot of the stick. The foot reveals a nice, tight packed construction of Nicaraguan and Dominican tobacco leaves.

We take a breather to recover from this surprise and move on to cutting and lighting the cigar. We choose to use the Cigar Perforator PerfDog to punch the head. I give the cap a lick to moisten it for the punch, and get the fruit flavors that are found off the wrapper leaf! We get the cigar punched and take a dry draw. Heavy fruit, citrus and charred oak coats our palates. We toast the foot and start into this cigar.

The first light reveals the same charred oak from the dry draw as well as mild fruit flavors. We retrohale the first puff and are rewarded with a smooth smoke. By the first 1/4" we are getting a pleasant zing on our tongues and the fruit is intensifying. The smoke texture is becoming more and more creamy and by an inch in a cream flavor shows up. We continue to smoke and by the end of the first third the Oak turns into a Earthy flavor. The charred flavor (think Scotch) remains on the long finish.

The second third changes to a smooth earth and coffee profile. The finish remains the same and the cream is a lot more present. The cigar is a solid, full body with a medium to full strength. We find a major flaw in the cigar at this point. For some unfortunate reason, it keeps getting shorter.

This Robusto doesn't disappoint. The final third brings a nice spice that joins the earth as the primary flavors. The charred, scotch flavor dominates the finish. We nub this cigar at 1 hour and 45 minutes. Way to soon!

This is a very unique cigar, with a flavor profile that I have never experienced before. I have never been disappointed with a PDR, and this specific cigar takes the place of my favorite PDR to date (sorry Sun Grown Habano Lancero). This cigar can be found for around $11 a stick. If you find one, try it! We appreciate PDR Cigars for graciously sending this in for review.

https://youtu.be/APExscbWn5g
[Reply]
Remo 03:05 PM 01-21-2016
Nice review, I love the a. flores half corona's :-)
[Reply]
Sooner 03:22 PM 01-21-2016
Thanks! I was blown away by this one. I have smoked many PDR's as they are great cigars and can be had for cheap. This one took the cake hand's down. Looking forward to trying the Corojo wrapper.
[Reply]
billybarue 08:40 PM 01-21-2016
Habano was CA #10 for 2014, if you put any stock in their reviews.

http://2014.top25.cigaraficionado.co...a-habano-sp52/
[Reply]
Sooner 06:24 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by billybarue:
Habano was CA #10 for 2014, if you put any stock in their reviews.

http://2014.top25.cigaraficionado.co...a-habano-sp52/
I won't get on my soap box about CA, but I will say this cigar tickled my taste buds.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:13 AM 01-26-2016
What does 1975 refer to?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 01:20 PM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
What does 1975 refer to?
Moses, 1975 refers to Abe Flores birth year:-)
[Reply]
borndead1 01:56 PM 01-30-2016
Thanks for the review. I had a couple of bad experiences with PDR cigars a few years ago and have pretty much ignored anything that comes out of that factory ever since. Perhaps it's time to give them another chance.
[Reply]
Up