Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Old Henry Robusto
Don Fernando 08:53 AM 02-18-2010
This Holts houseblend is created by Don Pepin Garcia from Nicaraguan tobacco with a Nicaraguan Corojo or a maduro wrapper from the Connecticut Valley area. The name comes from the dog of the Holts owner that wanted a cigar with this name and his picture on the band in remembrance of his old pal. I can't say that it's a beautiful picture though, but then again, show me a picture of a bulldog that I think is pretty and I'll send you some cigars. With a picture like this on the band I just hope it isn't a dog rocket.

The 5 x 50 robusto comes in cellophane and once unpacked I can smell a hay & barnyard aroma. The wrapper looks smooth & oily but feels silky and doesn't have a lot of veins. The construction isn't what I expect from a Don Pepin cigar, I can feel some soft spots but to my surprise the predraw isn't loose because of the soft spots. Quite the opposite, the draw is a bit hard and leaves me with a raisin & pepper flavor on my palate.

I taste coffee and wood with a firm dose of black pepper. The pepper is the dominant flavor with wood as support after half an inch. The coffee is gone by then. After an inch I can taste some toasty flavors with some wood.

Halfway the support is all wood again with a sweet and peppery aftertaste en far far away a little bit of chocolate. The sweetness grows a bit in strength after 2/3rd but the pepper is still dominant with toast and wood as support.

The draw is a bit hard but I get enough, medium thick, smoke from this Old Henry. The ash is medium gray and quite firm. The burn is good. This is a medium bodied medium flavored smoke in my book.

Would I buy this cigar again? If I get back to Philly and Holts has a nice offer, I will get some more.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 6 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Ratters 08:54 AM 02-18-2010
Nice review, though you didn't smoke the maduro. The maduro has black on the band where the red is. I like the maduro more than the natural in these, it seems to be better balanced.
[Reply]
MedicCook 08:55 AM 02-18-2010
Thanks for the great review as always Ferdie. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:07 AM 02-18-2010
Nice review Ferdie. I LOVE these sticks. :-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 09:20 AM 02-18-2010
Great review! I've wanted to try those and the Casa Royales for a while.
[Reply]
captain53 09:22 AM 02-18-2010
What Timing:

ORDER TOLL FREE: 1-800-523-1641
24-Hour Special with Free Shipping!

Old Henry Corona
12 cigars only $34.95 (35% savings!)

http://www.holts.com/category.html?id=201663

I am not associated with the retailer or manufacturer just passing on an offer related to the review.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:23 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Nice review, though you didn't smoke the maduro. The maduro has black on the band where the red is. I like the maduro more than the natural in these, it seems to be better balanced.
Asked the ToE to edit it.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 09:42 AM 02-18-2010
Very nice review.

I've tried these a few times and they just havn't won me over for some reason.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:48 AM 02-18-2010
Nice review. I enjoy these. I have a dog named Henry, so I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for these.
[Reply]
Coz77 12:10 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
This Holts houseblend is created by Don Pepin Garcia from Nicaraguan tobacco with a Nicaraguan Corojo or a maduro wrapper from the Connecticut Valley area. The name comes from the dog of the Holts owner that wanted a cigar with this name and his picture on the band in remembrance of his old pal. I can't say that it's a beautiful picture though, but then again, show me a picture of a bulldog that I think is pretty and I'll send you some cigars.
Lots of Pretty Bulldogs here Ferdie :-)

Nice review too brother!
[Reply]
yes please 09:52 PM 02-19-2010
a better Pepin in this price range is the Tat white label (Atlantic Cigars); better draw, more diverse flavor profile, medium strength.
[Reply]
ProBe 09:34 AM 02-20-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
Great review! I've wanted to try those and the Casa Royales for a while.

Same here.
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:30 AM 08-08-2010
I bought some of these last summer and let them sleep for about a year in my coolerdor. I smoked one last night and was very impressed. I had none of the cunstruction issues that Ferdie mentions above. Thew draw was perfect. Really a lovely cigar. Mine was the natural wrapper, probably more mild than the maddie wrapper, but I really enjoyed it. I'd call it a "medium" bodied cigar, with some background chocolate and coffee notes. With the economy being what it is I'm not buying cigars right now, but if I were I'd buy more of these for sure. I'm glad I've got another 11 in the humi.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:46 AM 08-08-2010
:-) I'm glad they've worked out for some of you. I bought a fiver of these and they had the single most pungent ammonia smell I have ever encountered. Even after 6 months, they were unsmokeable!

Now, I suppose I got a bad batch. But, if so, how did they get out of Pepin's vaunted Tabacalera? There are so many other Pepin cigars that I can happily smoke and not be reminded of those sticks.:-)
[Reply]
scoop 10:18 AM 08-08-2010
I've only had one but it was really good. It was a natural with no burn issues at all and was very tasty. Once I get the cigar funds again these will be on the list.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:17 AM 08-09-2010
I have tried both varieties (there is now a conn wrap I have not tried). I enjoyed the Nat wrap very much but I really enjoyed the Maduro with some age on it. I just picked up a box of the Maduros.
[Reply]
Aldebaran 08:47 AM 08-11-2010
great review and thanks for it I've been thinking about getting a few of these for a bit.

the english bulldog is a great looking dog as are all of molosser dogs
[Reply]
bsmokin 09:05 AM 08-11-2010
These are great cigars for the price! I really like them... good spice and flavor. Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
Up