Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Nestor Miranda Special Selection Coffee Break
kaisersozei 05:11 PM 12-23-2009
I've seen other CA reviews for the Special Selection, but not this vitola.

Vitola: Rothschild (4½ x 50) “Coffee Break”
Wrapper/Filler/Binder: I have no idea—I’ve read everything from Nic, Costa Rican, Honduran & DR (doesn’t that pretty well cover it?!) I’ve also read where this was blended by DPG.

Kevin at Winston’s Humidor suggested that I give this stick a try at the VCM Holiday Herf this weekend. Unfortunately I had to leave for a family emergency right after I clipped it, so it went into my humi when I got home (emergency resolved) until I had a chance to smoke it today.

Appearance & Construction were top notch. The chocolate brown wrapper was smooth with only a few very fine veins. The tobacco was well packed & tightly rolled. The draw & burn were perfect—especially impressive because I smoked outside in the cold, very dry air.

This started out as a leathery, woody smoke, with a creamy sweetness like sugary coffee. Medium/full bodied, the first half was very consistent and tasty, but started to get boring. About halfway through, I made this note: “if there was some spice or pepper to this, it would be a very interesting cigar.” Almost as soon as I put the pen down, I was hit with a big change in the cigar’s profile. Spicy notes, like cinnamon and other holiday baking spices, over some rich baker’s chocolate and a fruity sweetness like raisin or cherry. There was still a woody core, and the flavors really complimented each other very well. Near the end of the cigar, hits of pepper started tingling my tongue & gums, but it wasn’t overpowering. I think this was a maduro--it certainly fit a maduro profile.

This cigar reminded me very much of a Rocky Patel Vintage—the first half was a 1990, the second half was more like the 1992. The cigar lasted just about an hour, and the slight nic kick left me very relaxed. I paid $7 for this, and think it was well worth the price.

I probably would have overlooked this cigar if Kevin hadn’t suggested it. Give it a try.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:25 PM 12-23-2009
Yep, these are Pepin's and are consisted of baccy from Nica and Costa Rica. Very nice shorter smoke, imo. That one looks like the rosado wrapper. Next time try the oscuro!
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:17 PM 12-23-2009
Nice review Gerard. I grabbed a few at Kevins on Sunday. Looking forward to torching these. :-)
[Reply]
UPHOTO 06:25 PM 12-23-2009
Great review. I rarely read reviews on cigars that I had no interest in and think "hey I GOT to try that" but with this one I did.

Just have to figure out where to get one around here.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:46 PM 12-23-2009
I didn't know this was a Pepin...

hmmm either way, this is a very good smoke. Haven't had one in a while but they are good.
[Reply]
Norcal_aaron 11:48 PM 12-23-2009
I have a lancero and a robusto to try waiting for my in the cooler, this review may get me to torch one tomarrow. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:12 PM 12-24-2009
Great review Gerard!!!:-)

I really like the lanceros, so now I really want to get some of these!!!

[Reply]
roughrider 07:30 PM 12-24-2009
The lancero size is great.
[Reply]
Pass 06:36 AM 08-03-2010
I just picked up 3 of the Coffee Breaks ($6.40 a piece) and a Rubusto Grande for about $1 more. I had one based on the word of Kelmac... after I tried the one, I went back and bought two more and the larger size. Damned delicious smoke. Perfect size for a coffee break too. So if you like to smoke one during your morning cup at work - this is a great cigar to go to!!
[Reply]
Up