Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 52 of 196
« First < 242505152 535462102152 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Bill86 10:40 PM 06-01-2011
I've seen a few Eagle Rare 17's not sure if I just got luckily or no one buys them around here. Never picked one up. I opted for the William Larue Weller and Four Roses 120 Anniversary instead.
[Reply]
ODLS1 12:41 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I've seen a few Eagle Rare 17's not sure if I just got luckily or no one buys them around here. Never picked one up. I opted for the William Larue Weller and Four Roses 120 Anniversary instead.
I've heard the ER17 has been declining the last few years. Not that great anymore. It may be because apparently there was a problem with the logistics of releasing a 17yr every year, so it's been stored in a stainless steel tank for awhile, then bottled when need be. Or so I heard... The WLW is my favorite boubron to date.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 02:47 PM 06-03-2011
Picked up a bottle of Henry Mckenna Single Barrel last night. Never tried it. Any opinions?
[Reply]
Bill86 05:20 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
I've heard the ER17 has been declining the last few years. Not that great anymore. It may be because apparently there was a problem with the logistics of releasing a 17yr every year, so it's been stored in a stainless steel tank for awhile, then bottled when need be. Or so I heard... The WLW is my favorite boubron to date.
Mine too, but Four Roses 120 Anniversary is a VERY close second. The notes of vanilla and cinnamon in that :-)

Those were the only 2 bottles I've ever had that I rationed out to last a whole 2, MAYBE 3 weeks.
[Reply]
OLS 07:48 AM 06-13-2011
I guess when I get back from Blowing Rock we will have to get back together for another herf.
I would do it THIS weekend, but I would rather not get a DUI the weekend before a week off of work.
Although technically, that's the week to DO IT. But I want to get a visit with my mother and sister in before I do anything stupid, lol.
[Reply]
OLS 07:46 PM 06-17-2011
I picked up a bottle today, the Evan Williams Single barrel. I looked at the WLW that Bill was talking about but it
basically represented the sum of my beer and liquor budget for the day, so I passed. I need to review the thread
before I buy a bottle, cause I only vaguely remember people saying the EWSB was good enough to take a shot.
I am too well-stocked on Bourbon just now, so it was odd that I bought a bottle. I just should have bought the Zaya rum.
Comments on the EWSB?
[Reply]
Mr.Maduro 07:58 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I looked at the WLW that Bill was talking about but it
basically represented the sum of my beer and liquor budget for the day, so I passed.
Sorry to go off topic, but that line is definitely sig-worthy!! :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:51 PM 07-03-2011
Got this bottle a week or so ago, at a store in Knoxville. Single Barrel, picked out by the store, and exclusive to that store. Cracked the seal last night. Interesting taste profile, definitely worth sippin' from time to time! My first Four Roses, won't be my last.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 12:11 PM 07-04-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Got this bottle a week or so ago, at a store in Knoxville. Single Barrel, picked out by the store, and exclusive to that store. Cracked the seal last night. Interesting taste profile, definitely worth sippin' from time to time! My first Four Roses, won't be my last.
OH YEA! That is a surprisingly good bourbon. It's super good!!!
[Reply]
OLS 10:19 AM 07-07-2011
4 Roses always sounded like wino whiskey to me, but I bought that "same bottle" last year and it was pretty damn fine.
[Reply]
ODLS1 11:29 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Nice. The regular FRSBarrel is 50%abv. Good stuff IMO.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:40 AM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by LockOut:
the "new" Knobb sinlge barrel i really good. Got a really nice caramel/citrus too it with a long lasting after taste. Not the burn I expected at 120 either. Picked up a bottle of Bassel Haydens to try recently. will get back to you on that one.
Originally Posted by Montano:
I didn't think Basil Hayden was worth the price. Lots of better bourbons out there.
While on vacation I got a bottle of the Basil Hayden as well. I must say, it is a disappointment. I don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't real good neat, not as good as a number of others I enjoy. When a few ice cubes melted in it, it was decent.

It won't be something I will purchase again.

I personally can mix any cheaper whiskey with ginger ale, 7-up, etc... and it really doesn't much matter, to do so with a more expensive libation seems a waste. And if that particular liquor isn't any good unless mixed, then what's the point.

(maybe my taste buds are not refined enough, or are too battered for what libation is poured into a mix, as if it really makes a difference)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
baddevildog82 12:12 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Comments on the EWSB?
I love Evan Williams Single Barrel. The price is right and you get to taste the differences between the annual releases. 99 was one of my favorites, but the others are good as well.
[Reply]
nexprofit 12:41 PM 07-14-2011
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
picked this up last night, :-)

Love me some eagle rare. i had the local liquor store special order it.:-)
[Reply]
Ken 09:40 PM 09-09-2011
Can't drink this one, but it was pretty damn cool.

I did receive a bottle of Angels Envy which I find interesting. Though, I don't have any final thoughts on it yet. Low in proof, pretty smooth and quite different. I'm guessing the port barrell finish puts a twist on this bourbon to give it some seperation from the others.
[Reply]
shark 07:00 PM 09-30-2011
Elijah Craig 18 YO, Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, in that order of preference. Then again, I'm mainly a beer drinker but I found these bourbons to be very good.
[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 08:16 PM 09-30-2011
Just picked up a bottle of Parkers Heritage 2011 finished in Cognac barrels. can't wait to try this.
[Reply]
Aero95 12:01 PM 10-03-2011
Not sure if this has been discussed but Woodford will be releasing a rye whiskey in November. I was at Woodford Reserve over the weekend and they said its going to be in a two pack.
[Reply]
BengalMan 07:09 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
While on vacation I got a bottle of the Basil Hayden as well. I must say, it is a disappointment. I don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't real good neat, not as good as a number of others I enjoy. When a few ice cubes melted in it, it was decent.

It won't be something I will purchase again.

I personally can mix any cheaper whiskey with ginger ale, 7-up, etc... and it really doesn't much matter, to do so with a more expensive libation seems a waste. And if that particular liquor isn't any good unless mixed, then what's the point.

(maybe my taste buds are not refined enough, or are too battered for what libation is poured into a mix, as if it really makes a difference)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I personally don't mix bourbon with anything except an occasional ice cube, so to ask the question of if it's not good mixed, what's the point will likely get many answers like mine.

A majority of the bourbons being talked about in this thread are drank neat, or with a cube or two. I agree with part of your statement, if your going to mix it with ginger ale or 7-Up, then yes, do not buy the more expensive bourbons.

As far as not liking it neat, no problem with that at all. Different strokes for different folks. I don't mind Basil Hayden, but it's definitely not at the top of my list, even in the lower priced category.

Nice thing with bourbon is that there are plenty to choose from, many of which are good and not terribly expensive at that.
[Reply]
BengalMan 07:12 PM 10-03-2011
The BTAC I'm sure will be popping up soon. Unfortunately I've backed off the high end bourbons for the time being. I drink through them too fast to afford them, lol. I do want to pick up a bottle or two of some of the Four Roses 120th though. Great stuff. For now, there are plenty of sub $50 bourbons out there for me to enjoy.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 196
« First < 242505152 535462102152 > Last »
Up