Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Good Eats>Looking for opinions on a pellet grill
GoatLocker 10:03 PM 04-04-2011
First Nancy buys you an Aristocrat, now a Traeger? You're a lucky man Peter! Damn, my new Weber hasn't even arrived yet...:-) I guess I can wait a couple months until these Traegers start showing up on Craigslist at half price. :-)

Originally Posted by pnoon:
I'm working out in the back yard when my wife calls me from Costco. She says Traeger is there and quotes me prices. Holy crap. Based on size and cost, I was considering the Lil Texas elite. But Costco had the Texas for the same price as the Lil Elite bought elsewhere.

So I bought the Texas.

Pellets, normally $20, were $13.69.

Time to get in the game, Kelly. :-)

[Reply]
pnoon 10:03 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by aero95:
Can't wait to see the pics Peter.
Thanks, Aaron.
Pics tomorrow will be of the grill.
Not sure if I'll be cooking on it before the weekend.
I'll be sure and share when I do.
[Reply]
Aero95 10:19 PM 04-04-2011
Your telling me you didn't buy a brisket when you got the grill at costco. What gives :-) :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:29 PM 04-04-2011
Your telling me you didn't buy a brisket when you got the grill at costco. What gives :-) :-)
Actually, we did.

I had been thinking about buying a pellet grill for a couple of weeks. Traeger was the front runner. My wife was shopping at Costco Sunday morning and called to tell me of the road show. She actually came home with a 4 lb brisket even before we bought the grill. I also have a couple of corned beef briskets that I bought when they were on sale for St. Patty's day. I think I'm gonna do the corned beef on Saturday.
http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/74
[Reply]
Aero95 06:04 AM 04-05-2011
Needless to say I’m very jealous and your wife is a keeper :-) The best part about owning a traeger is the fact you can enjoy a few cigars while the meat is cooking.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:36 AM 04-05-2011
Needless to say I’m very jealous and your wife is a keeper :-) The best part about owning a traeger is the fact you can enjoy a few cigars while the meat is cooking.
You ain't kiddin'.
For Xmas, she got me an Aristocrat.
[Reply]
Aero95 07:13 AM 04-05-2011
You ain't kiddin'.
For Xmas, she got me an Aristocrat.
:-)
[Reply]
poker 07:29 AM 04-05-2011
Peter is a lucky guy indeed.
[Reply]
T.G 08:58 AM 04-05-2011
Actually, we did.

I had been thinking about buying a pellet grill for a couple of weeks. Traeger was the front runner. My wife was shopping at Costco Sunday morning and called to tell me of the road show. She actually came home with a 4 lb brisket even before we bought the grill. I also have a couple of corned beef briskets that I bought when they were on sale for St. Patty's day. I think I'm gonna do the corned beef on Saturday.
http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/74
Peter, a comment on that recipe - the bagged corned beef is typically cured with extra salt because some will be lost in the boiling process. Now, if you don't boil the meat, all that extra salt stays in the meat, so I would advise caution if you chose to add any rubs that have salt in them, ie: commercial rubs, which typically have a very high percentage of salt in them, or any sauce combinations involving a lot of salt, or, depending on your tastes, you might push the food into the category of inedible. You can also soak the meat for a few hours prior to cooking, changing the water every hour, to reduce the salt levels a bit. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:05 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Peter, a comment on that recipe - the bagged corned beef is typically cured with extra salt because some will be lost in the boiling process. Now, if you don't boil the meat, all that extra salt stays in the meat, so I would advise caution if you chose to add any rubs that have salt in them, ie: commercial rubs, which typically have a very high percentage of salt in them, or any sauce combinations involving a lot of salt, or, depending on your tastes, you might push the food into the category of inedible. You can also soak the meat for a few hours prior to cooking, changing the water every hour, to reduce the salt levels a bit. :-)
Good point, Adam.
When I was young, my mother used to soak the ham to reduce the salt. I will definitely do that with the corned beef.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Aero95 09:08 AM 04-05-2011
Peter you have a package coming your way to help with the meats :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:38 AM 04-05-2011
Peter you have a package coming your way to help with the meats :-)
:-)
You are most kind, Brother.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
T.G 09:48 AM 04-05-2011
Good point, Adam.
When I was young, my mother used to soak the ham to reduce the salt. I will definitely do that with the corned beef.
Posted via Mobile Device
The last time I used bagged CB for a smoker, I think I soaked it for 2-3 hours and I didn't feel that it was long enough, but tastes vary.
[Reply]
Aero95 10:05 AM 04-05-2011
This is what I could find and I agree with Adam it may need more time.

Soak: To start off grilling our corned beef you need to soak the beef for about 30 minutes per pound and no less than 2 hours. This soaking needs to be done with warm water or the salt will not dissolve effectively. You also need to change the water every hour and rinse the corned beef off when you change the water. You may choose to place the corned beef in a pot of water and set it on your stove over a low heat for the soaking time.
[Reply]
forgop 04:41 PM 04-05-2011
Can anyone tell me if there's a schedule by Costco location of when Traeger is there or if they're at all of them? I'm currently not a member at Costco as the closest one is 30 minutes away while Sam's is 5 minutes away.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:49 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Can anyone tell me if there's a schedule by Costco location of when Traeger is there or if they're at all of them? I'm currently not a member at Costco as the closest one is 30 minutes away while Sam's is 5 minutes away.
http://www.traegergrills.com/teamtraeger/classes/
[Reply]
pnoon 10:19 PM 04-05-2011
Thanks, Aaron.
Pics tomorrow will be of the grill.
Not sure if I'll be cooking on it before the weekend.
I'll be sure and share when I do.
As promised (nothing too special - just a brand new grill)

[Reply]
Aero95 11:03 PM 04-05-2011
Very nice Peter so what exactly is the different between the regular model and a elite model? Enjoy :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 11:08 PM 04-05-2011
Very nice Peter so what exactly is the different between the regular model and a elite model? Enjoy :-)
Lil Texas Elite vs Lil Texas.
Digital thermostat vs. 3 setting thermostat and wheels on 4 legs vs. wheels on 2 legs are the 2 most notable differences. Grilling area is identical - 19" x 22"

I bought the Texas.
36000 BTU vs 20000 BTU for Lil Texas
Digital thermostat
Grilling area is 19" x 34"
[Reply]
smelly4tay 12:23 AM 04-06-2011
Wow Peter, that is very nice! You made a great choice! I can't wait to S.H.I.T on it. :-) Going to bring a bunch of different TJ's stuff for you to test out on it. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up