Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Restoring a Grabow
markem 04:59 PM 11-05-2023
Early this year, I bought a bunch of estates that included this Dr Grabow Viscount 101 patent.

Finally cleaned it up. Needs a better hand than mine to bring it all the way back, but it is looking okay. The main problem is the connection for the screw in stem. At some point it must have been torqued pretty good. When seated, it overturns by about 1/8th a turn. For now, I have created a space using 2 layers of painters tape. Does anyone have experience fixing this type of thing or maybe I just keep using tape?

[Reply]
Conch Republican 01:16 PM 11-09-2023
That looks really good! I bought a couple older ones to try my hand on, but I can see needing a buffing wheel to make and serious progress on stems!
[Reply]
physiognomy 07:26 PM 11-09-2023
Good job, Mark! I’ve seen folks on the forums fixing this clocking issue with Teflon tape. Same as what you’ve done. Seems less risky than attempts to heat & reset threads, etc.
[Reply]
markem 07:39 PM 11-09-2023
Originally Posted by Conch Republican:
but I can see needing a buffing wheel
I have a Dremel, different size buffing pads, and good quality hard wax.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 06:03 AM 11-10-2023
Really? Tell me about the pads... I only know what I have seen on PSD or pipes and cigars for restoration discussions!
[Reply]
markem 08:00 AM 11-10-2023
Really? Tell me about the pads... I only know what I have seen on PSD or pipes and cigars for restoration discussions!
Go to Amazon and search for Dremel buffing pads.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 08:19 AM 11-10-2023
I don't see Drexel, but continuing to look at options...
[Reply]
markem 08:27 AM 11-10-2023
I don't see Drexel, but continuing to look at options...
should have written Dremel

https://www.amazon.com/dremel-buffin...l+buffing+pads
[Reply]
DAFU 01:56 PM 02-11-2024
Nice looking pipe! I used to enjoy the restoration process and all are solid puffers.
I used teflon tape on the screw of an old Kaywoody that couldn't turn enough. Tape stays close to the stem so you really don't notice it.
[Reply]
Up