Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 567
Good Eats>Looking for opinions on a pellet grill
markem 11:32 AM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by whodeeni:
Guy wants 550 for a texas that he bought last november....
That's a good deal isn't it?
A good price. I have a lil' texas elite that go around here for about $550 new.

One thing to check, if you decide to get it, is that the auger functions properly. In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

I will be removing the pellets to storage and then running the auger until empty every time I use it during our wet winters from now on.
[Reply]
jonumberone 03:10 PM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
A good price. I have a lil' texas elite that go around here for about $550 new.

One thing to check, if you decide to get it, is that the auger functions properly. In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

I will be removing the pellets to storage and then running the auger until empty every time I use it during our wet winters from now on.
Thanks for the tip, Mark!
I'll be sure to empty the auger and hopper out before storing for the winter.
Before this post, I had zero intentions of doing so!
[Reply]
markem 03:15 PM 09-05-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Thanks for the tip, Mark!
I'll be sure to empty the auger and hopper out before storing for the winter.
Before this post, I had zero intentions of doing so!
I have a vague recollection of the sales guy telling me to do this (or maybe I read it on the website). But since I didn't write it down, it didn't stick. Won't forget anymore, however. :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:58 AM 10-18-2011

Just wanted to bump this bit of useful information for any Traeger owners like me who are getting ready to pack it up for the winter! :-)
[Reply]
Jenady 09:52 AM 10-27-2011
Kelly,

I have used a Traeger for many years. If you need to be able to set and forget it they can't be beat. I have literally done hundreds of ponds of ribs, roasts, fish, chicken, and turkey. I can do 13 sides of ribs at one time. I have cooked in 100 degree weather and sub-zero weather. My results are always great!

[Reply]
jonumberone 06:02 AM 10-27-2012
In year two, I didn't clear out the auger over the winter and had problems getting it to function again. The problem was that pellets left in the unit swelled and turned to concrete inside the auger tube. Running the wedged auger resulted in a burned out auger motor ($38 including shipping, easy change-out).

Bump for Mark's useful information!
Just cleaned mine out.
Once again a hurricane is forcing me to call an end to smoker season. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:40 AM 10-27-2012
Why should the smoker have a season? I use mine all year round. Actually I use it in the winter more often than summer...
[Reply]
Page 7 of 7
« First < 567
Up