All Cigar Discussion>Herfin' with Mike and Shawn - Gurkha edition
shilala 12:36 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
Scott, PM sent
Replied. :-)
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 12:43 PM 01-07-2012
Mike is going to be going...ummm... out of town... for a couple weeks or so, he is taking a large number with him to pass out to the guys.

Heh, "out of town" is a good way of putting it. :-)

I've got a little travel humidor stocked as full as it'll go to spread around to the unit I'm joining temporarily, and I know they're gunna be stoked to see 'em!

Thanks again, everyone, for keeping us stocked up!

Unfortunately, this'll probably be the last review for "Mike and Shawn" for a while. We've been having a lot of fun with it, though, so I'm pretty sure it'll pick up when I get back "home" to Bahrain.
[Reply]
shilala 12:44 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by mleska:
That actually might explain some of my experiences, then. The orders I've put in the past didn't survive long enough to be considered "aged" since I usually didn't like to keep more than a handful of sticks laying around at once. That'd be a good experiment....maybe I'll let some cook in the bottom of my humidor when I get home and see if they hold up or not.

Good info!
Once you start "collecting" and long-storing cigars you'll find out real quick which cigars are made from the good stuff and which aren't.
You can think of cigars much like wine, really. Good wine ages well, lousy wine ages lousy. There's a scientific reason for all that, you'll pick that info up along the way.
Different parts of tobacco plants have different flavors, then they're aged differently, etc. The care taken in aging tobacco makes a huge difference. You'll figure all that out, too.
This cigar hobby is much like guns or knives or wine or coffee or fishing or hunting or whatever you enjoy. There's TONS of stuff to learn and it's all fun and interesting. This place is a giant library of wisdom, the guys have thousands of years of smoking and collecting experience to learn from.
I think you're gonna have an absolute blast. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 12:45 PM 01-07-2012

I've got a little travel humidor stocked as full as it'll go to spread around to the unit I'm joining temporarily, and I know they're gunna be stoked to see 'em!

Unfortunately, this'll probably be the last review for "Mike and Shawn" for a while. We've been having a lot of fun with it, though, so I'm pretty sure it'll pick up when I get back "home" to Bahrain.
I'll get a box packed up for you so it's waiting when you return, Mike. :-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:56 PM 01-07-2012

Where you are going, be safe my friend:-), remember what we learned in Blackwater.:-)
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 01:23 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
i'll get a box packed up for you so it's waiting when you return, mike. :-)
sweet! -(p
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 01:27 PM 01-07-2012
Where you are going, be safe my friend:-), remember what we learned in Blackwater.:-)
Yup, no doubt. This is definitely an "interesting" time to be out doing what we're doing. (I should probably stop reading news sites about current events and politics right at this moment, you think?)

Hey, Shawn, if I review anything I take with me while I'm gone, I'll toss an email your way, maybe you can find the same stick in your stash, review it, too, and post on my behalf?
[Reply]
Shawn hines 01:30 PM 01-07-2012
But of course
[Reply]
sevans105 01:30 PM 01-07-2012
Guys, thanks again for your service. I truly appreciate it. Stay safe!
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 01:35 PM 01-07-2012
Scott - too much good stuff in your last couple posts to quote. Growing up in the CA wine country I used to have a lot of trouble explaining that concept to folks about wine. I'm finding a lot of parallels between the wine world (and by extension, the beer world) and the cigar world. I've 'dabbled' around with cigars for a couple years, but am still a total amateur on the subject, but might feel that way for life. It's a huge, huge cigar world out there!
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 01:39 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Guys, thanks again for your service. I truly appreciate it. Stay safe!
You bet, brother! It's what we do. And we truly appreciate all the support from back home. It makes a difference.

:-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 01:41 PM 01-07-2012
You bet, brother! It's what we do. And we truly appreciate all the support from back home. It makes a difference.

:-)
I second this, Thank you
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 01:53 PM 01-07-2012
Totally dropped the ball on photos earlier. Here's the pre-smoke shot.
Attached: gurkha_01.jpg (25.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up