Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Herfin' with Mike and Shawn - Gurkha edition
Cigar Mike 11:12 AM 01-07-2012
Tonight's smokes are a Gurkha Triple Ligero and a Silver Edition ceder wrapped.

I have to admit I already know that I like these - I've had them before since they tend to go on sale at CI pretty frequently. I'm looking forward to it. Don't know yet if Shawn knows what kind of treat he's in for yet, though.

Lights easy, good draw, everything nice to start off with!
[Reply]
Shawn hines 11:15 AM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by mleska:
Lights easy, good draw, everything nice to start off with!
Just lit mine and I second this, looking forward to this. I can tell you that mine is a little dry tonight.

As corny as it sound I maybe a little bit a Band whore. I really like the look of these
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 11:28 AM 01-07-2012
Yeah, they do have a cool band, good looking logo. Speaking of which, I know everyone's got their own 'band habits.' I've seen people argue over leaving bands on as long as possible, taking them off as soon as possible, and just about everything in between. I usually just leave bands on until they get annoying. These ones, although they look great, bug me for some reason probably just 'cause they're so big. I'm only about 10 minutes into this cigar and I was in danger of burning one of them already....also, for whatever it's worth, I notice that I usually have to cut Gurkah's bands off - they tend to be on there pretty tight. Never really thought about that before.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 11:35 AM 01-07-2012
1/3 Down

Well I am having a great smoke right now, this thing is very nice. It is a little dry but I am good with it. The taste is very mild, the burn is very even. It seems like it is burning fast but I think that it just cause the band is so large.I think that I will be taking it off in a few minutes.
[Reply]
shilala 11:41 AM 01-07-2012
I hope you guys survive through this. :-)
[Reply]
Shawn hines 11:52 AM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Hey friend you made this possible tonight, Thank you:-)
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 11:55 AM 01-07-2012
Well, mine's definitely burning pretty quick, it might have been a touch dry, too. In fact, I'm pretty much done with it after only about 25 minutes or so. Odd, that doesn't really jive with my past experiences.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of anything to say about these because I'm pretty used to them. Excellent flavor, a little bit on the bold side of medium, and they've been consistent for me over the last few years.

This is a brand I've often recommended to folks that are just getting into the cigar thing because of the good flavor and low prices through the mail order places.
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 11:57 AM 01-07-2012
It's been a remarkably tough last couple days for me, and getting a cigar in after dealing with work's been a godsend. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:57 AM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
Hey friend you made this possible tonight, Thank you:-)
Actually, the guys here made it possible. I'm pretty sure Bob (Chainsaw13) sent those smokes. It's impossible to keep track of all the smokes everybody sends. There's about 10 packages sitting in the office right now from guys that can't wait to get smokes to you two, and they don't even know ya. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:58 AM 01-07-2012
It's been a remarkably tough last couple days for me, and getting a cigar in after dealing with work's been a godsend. :-)
That was actually a Gurkha bash. There's not a whole lot of brothers who can sit through one. You guys are badass. :-)
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 12:00 PM 01-07-2012
Quote of the moment:

"You know, those are great smokes - you can have one of those and wake up in the morning and it doesn't taste like a cat s*** in yer mouth." -Shawn
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:03 PM 01-07-2012
Actually, the guys here made it possible. I'm pretty sure Bob (Chainsaw13) sent those smokes. It's impossible to keep track of all the smokes everybody sends. There's about 10 packages sitting in the office right now from guys that can't wait to get smokes to you two, and they don't even know ya. :-)
Well I am lost for words, which doesn't happen too often...

Mike is going to be going...ummm... out of town... for a couple weeks or so, he is taking a large number with him to pass out to the guys.

Chainsaw13, my friend I would love to buy you a drink. Thank you
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:04 PM 01-07-2012
Quote of the moment:

"You know, those are great smokes - you can have one of those and wake up in the morning and it doesn't taste like a cat s*** in yer mouth." -Shawn
Really?
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 12:04 PM 01-07-2012
That was actually a Gurkha bash. There's not a whole lot of brothers who can sit through one. You guys are badass. :-)
You're really not a fan of these? I dig 'em. That's the beauty of cigars (and food, wine, beer, etc etc etc) though....everyone's tastes are a little different. I was just explaining the other day to someone that was trying out a stick I gave him that he didn't like that it's _OK_ not to like something....you're not going to offend anyone 'cause your taste doesn't happen to jive with what you're trying at the moment....
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:05 PM 01-07-2012
1/2 done

Still nothing new to say about the smoke, I am liking this one
[Reply]
shilala 12:17 PM 01-07-2012
You're really not a fan of these? I dig 'em. That's the beauty of cigars (and food, wine, beer, etc etc etc) though....everyone's tastes are a little different. I was just explaining the other day to someone that was trying out a stick I gave him that he didn't like that it's _OK_ not to like something....you're not going to offend anyone 'cause your taste doesn't happen to jive with what you're trying at the moment....
We hold a motto real close here, "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." It imparts a large respect to each other on just the basis you mentioned.
That said, I'd rather have a sharp stick in my eye than smoke a Gurkha. At one time, and I don't know if they make them anymore, they made a cigar called a Nepalese Warrior. It was a nice thick maduro that tasted a lot like raisins. They were nice but they didn't age well (turned to zero flavor in just a couple months in the humi). Gurkha really relies heavily on marketing and pretty bands, they don't put any pride in the tobacco they use or their finished product. They don't have a single cigar that's endured any test of time, and that's a big statement about them. Still it doesn't diminish the fact that they can crank out something someone is going to like, ya know? That's where the rubber meets the road. If you enjoy it, you win.

You're gonna find that your tastes are going to change wildly over the next couple years. The more sticks you try, the more flavors and nuances you'll experience. Then you'll find that in some cigars you can get five or six of the flavors you like in one smoke, plus the body is just right, the after taste is awesome, and you'll just fall in love.
You're doing exactly what you should be doing and you're right where you're supposed to be. Learning and experiencing all this new stuff really is the funnest part of the hobby. You guys have lots of good times ahead, my brother. :-)
[Reply]
scof222 12:20 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by Shawn hines:
Well I am lost for words, which doesn't happen too often...

Mike is going to be going...ummm... out of town... for a couple weeks or so, he is taking a large number with him to pass out to the guys.

Chainsaw13, my friend I would love to buy you a drink. Thank you
I will be standing in for Mike. I didn't have a Gurkha tonight but I had a Don Pepin Garcia. It was a good medium stick and burned even the whole way to the nub. I didn't want to put it down. So to you Scott and all of your guys thanks for all the sticks can't wait to try some more.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:20 PM 01-07-2012
Scott, PM sent
[Reply]
Shawn hines 12:28 PM 01-07-2012
3/3 done

Alright so this is my finally review on the Gurkha Triple Ligero

I like this stick, total burn time is about 75 mins, I did baby this one tonight as I wanted a to relax before bed tonight.

The taste was very mild to Med. The draw was great, burned even al the way down.
The ash fell on me a couple of times but I think it was from me banging it around.

Over all I would give this a 8 out of 10 rating
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 12:36 PM 01-07-2012
At one time, and I don't know if they make them anymore, they made a cigar called a Nepalese Warrior. It was a nice thick maduro that tasted a lot like raisins. They were nice but they didn't age well (turned to zero flavor in just a couple months in the humi).
That actually might explain some of my experiences, then. The orders I've put in the past didn't survive long enough to be considered "aged" since I usually didn't like to keep more than a handful of sticks laying around at once. That'd be a good experiment....maybe I'll let some cook in the bottom of my humidor when I get home and see if they hold up or not.

Good info!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up