Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar aficianado best of 2011...
BigAsh 12:18 PM 01-03-2012
# 10:Casa Magna Colorado Diadema
MADE BY: Plascensia Cigars
FACTORY LOCATION: Nicaragua
WRAPPER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua
PRICE: $8.95
RING GAUGE: 54
LENGTH: 6 3/4"
RATING: 92

#9 : Warlock Robusto
MADE BY: Agros Tobacos Industriales
FACTORY LOCATION: Nicaragua
WRAPPER: Ecuador
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua, Dom. Rep.
PRICE: $6.25
RING GAUGE: 54
LENGTH: 4 3/4"
RATING: 92

#8: Punch Double Corona (Havana)
MADE BY: Habanos S.A.
FACTORY LOCATION: Cuba
WRAPPER: Cuba
BINDER: Cuba
FILLER: Cuba
PRICE: £20.76
RING GAUGE: 49
LENGTH: 7 5/8"
RATING: 93
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:26 PM 01-03-2012
Wow I didn't know the Warlock made the list. I have been sitting one one for a couple months, now I am excited about trying it.
[Reply]
DaBear 12:32 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Wow I didn't know the Warlock made the list. I have been sitting one one for a couple months, now I am excited about trying it.
I wouldnt hold my breath. I'm not a big fan of Cigar Aficionado's rating system. Everything is rated on the first inch and then tossed, they don't look into how a cigar holds up throughout the smoke or with how it can start off rough but finish fantastic.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:36 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by DaBear:
I wouldnt hold my breath. I'm not a big fan of Cigar Aficionado's rating system. Everything is rated on the first inch and then tossed, they don't look into how a cigar holds up throughout the smoke or with how it can start off rough but finish fantastic.
While I know better than to listen to everything they say, every now and then they get one right and that is all the hope I need:-)
[Reply]
irratebass 12:50 PM 01-03-2012
Interesting, I haven't had any of these..................yet, I am curious about the Warlock though.
[Reply]
darkninja67 01:01 PM 01-03-2012
Never had any of those and no real intention of trying any of them.
Hope the list gets better.
[Reply]
weak_link 01:10 PM 01-03-2012
How do you know if the list is better/worse if you've never tried any of them? I haven't heard of the 10 or 9 either but it is not like I would ignore them simply for being in the CA list.
[Reply]
pektel 01:11 PM 01-03-2012
I would not ignore them by being on the CA list. But I would not be swayed one way or the other about trying them by that same merit either.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:13 PM 01-03-2012
I have had one Warlock. I did enjoy it, from what I remember. I have been thinking of ordering some more..
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:25 PM 01-03-2012
The Warlock is an Omar Ortez stick that is why I purchased it, but I am excited to see that somebody in the business has thought highly of it. Everybody has different tastes and preference but it sounded good and I will try it.
[Reply]
Bageland2000 01:38 PM 01-03-2012
I'm not running to buy the cigars that come up on cA's top 25, but I really like reading about them. I don't discount there findings but like Peter I don't hold them in any God-like regard either. IMO, the pros of cA are a high budget to do some cool reporting and maintain a decent website. But in some ways they may be a little elitist and don't support the timeless "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." Nor do they really maintain a community aspect AFAIK.
[Reply]
lenguamor 01:50 PM 01-03-2012
The description of the Punch makes it sound interesting. I generally don't smoke a cigar that big, but I would try it based on the review.

The others sound like just more of the same as what there is already enough of out there: big pepper bombs with lots of nicotine. Not for me.
[Reply]
DaBear 02:00 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
I would not ignore them by being on the CA list. But I would not be swayed one way or the other about trying them by that same merit either.
This was all I meant by my comment. I generally pay no heed to their ratings. That said, I have had a Warlock before, and while it was a good smoke, it was certainly not one of the top 25, let alone top 10, cigars I've had this year.

Mickey, if you're interested, we have a few of the Churchills and Robustos at work, I'd be happy to send some on your way if you'd like to give them a try.
[Reply]
Crownedone 09:24 PM 01-03-2012
I read through 4-6 different cigar publications as often as I can find them. Even through their top lists are seldom close, they have helped me find great cigars. Many of my personal favorites came from reading those reviews and having my interest peaked.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:48 PM 01-03-2012
"The cigars that made this list have undergone a most thorough assessment"

:-)
[Reply]
jjmitchem 10:40 PM 01-03-2012
I have a Casa Magna Colorado Diadema sitting in my humidor I need to try. The Casa Magna Domnus Magnus has also made a few top 10 lists and it is an excellent cigar. Just picked up a few more of these at my local B&M. I'll write a review for the next one I light up
[Reply]
Taki 05:54 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
"The cigars that made this list have undergone a most thorough assessment"

:-)
:-):-):-) I had a Warlock myself a while back - mid summer maybe - dont remember much about it so I am guessing it didnt impress me much but Shane, I hope it works out for ya :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 06:57 AM 01-04-2012
I smoked a Warlock and thought it was alright, not worth another look IMO.
[Reply]
darkninja67 07:00 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by weak_link:
How do you know if the list is better/worse if you've never tried any of them?
CA lost a lot of credibility with me with the Casa Magna nomination. I look towards my usual suspects when it comes to new lines of cigar.
[Reply]
ktblunden 07:47 AM 01-04-2012
There are some people whose reviews I trust on cigars, but that's based on past reviews that line up with my own findings on those particular cigars. I don't trust CA's (or really any publication that rates the products they sell ad space to) objectivity enough to put much of any stock in their findings.

This has nothing to do with CA, but I was reading a European cigar magazine that I don't remember the name of. They rated the Cain Daytona something like a 96. Absolutely blew me away.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up