Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>People underestimate you because of your Age?
Silound 09:34 AM 12-17-2011
The funny reverse of that is working retail at a cigar shop. I did it for several years, from about 22-26 and I occasionally got the reverse treatment from new customers. Generally, my lovable personality and knowledge won them over, but more than a few people questioned me when I started making suggestions and explaining various things.

Snap judgements are useful, but some people let that cloud their own judgement and overuse them.
[Reply]
Carmack 09:35 AM 12-17-2011
I'm in the same boat. I'm turning 26 and still get carded for smokes. The positives are when you're 40, you're gonna look 25 :-)
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 09:44 AM 12-17-2011
I always had fun when I was working for a fairly high end cigar shop and I had these ignorant old farts coming in thinking they knew their sh*t and I'm just some useless kid that knew how to work a register.....
[Reply]
AmsterDan 11:34 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88:
I always had fun when I was working for a fairly high end cigar shop and I had these ignorant old farts coming in thinking they knew their sh*t and I'm just some useless kid that knew how to work a register.....
See, that's just funny ... but you were able to give that service the store needs.

I also really don't think that a customer has to earn respect from the more knowledgeable as suggested earlier on in the comments. That would result in a youngster starting out never to know more about cigars because he/she is young and doesn't get the respect. The reverse of a customer questioning the retailer ... well, those are the cocky customers every merchant gets so once in a while.
[Reply]
taltos 11:36 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Imagine being old like me, and they point out the bong section.
I thought that they would send you over to me in the walker section.:-)
[Reply]
taltos 11:40 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.

That's what Moe always tells me.
I am not creepy, I am discrete.:-)
[Reply]
backwoods357 12:27 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
It will happen:-) When I first got into cigars I was told by some douchnozzle that I had to be 18 to buy cigars (I was 22 as well) before I even paid or was carded. I politely showed my ID and said "here you go Ahole and put these cigars back". I never went back to that B&M.
IMO being a dick in return isn't called for and just makes you look immature. We all get carded, talked to like we know nothing and watched like a hawk in the walk in, it just comes with the territory. I think once they figure out your aren't looking for the phillies to make a blunt wrap or something to commemorate your first pube, their attitude will be entirely different. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:32 PM 12-17-2011
I never had a problem with people talking down to me :-)

Some ironic situations here and there....but that's really about it.
[Reply]
Remo 12:35 PM 12-17-2011
It will happen:-) When I first got into cigars I was told by some douchnozzle that I had to be 18 to buy cigars (I was 22 as well) before I even paid or was carded. I politely showed my ID and said "here you go Ahole and put these cigars back". I never went back to that B&M.
Douchenozzle...best word in the English language, so many uses :-) :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:02 PM 12-17-2011
What a great word, Squid! :-)
[Reply]
DaBear 04:49 PM 12-17-2011
As someone who works at a B&M I can see where its coming from, but I'd never do that to someone. Typically after a few months you can pick out who is going to buy what based on age, gender, and even how the dress. If I see someone younger in age go into the humidor dressed in say a fitted cap and pants half way down their ass I'll be watching them like a hawk, but were I to see that same person come in in a somewhat presentable attire(ie, khakis, polo, etc.) they'll have a lot more leeway and won't have me in the humidor with them the moment the step in. That said, if I see the guy with pants halfway down his ass come straight to the counter for some cigarettes or go look at the zippos I won't be so sketched out.

On the other hand, it is fun to see the reactions of people when I(a 20 yearold) can give you a rundown of strength and flavors of any cigar in the humidor.
[Reply]
hotreds 05:00 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.

That's what Moe always tells me.
Moe is wise, Aqualung.
[Reply]
schollianmj 05:36 PM 12-17-2011
my thought is that if I owned a shop, and 99% of the clientele of a certain demographic buy X item, Im going to recommend X to that demographic. its not a slam to the few people in that group that want Y product, its simply called good business. now if you come in and let me know that you want Y product instead of X, then I hopefully would remember this the next time you come in.

now if the shop owner is just rude about it, then I have no reason to put up with that. I went into a shop in Las Cruces New Mexico and the owner was just rude to me. Everytime I asked about a certain stick he would act like I was an inconviance and not want to stop watching his little TV long enough to help me. He finally drove me out when he said that a young guy like me would be better buying some of the flavored cigars from 7-11. Needless to say i never came back there.

Found a different shop and every time I went in there and asked about a stick this guy would tell me a bit about it, he remembered sticks that I had already bought and would tell me how the one in question differed or compared to them, and would make recommendations. Some sticks that I asked about he would just tell me straight up that i probably wouldn't like them. To me, this makes for a great customer experience, and of course ended up me spending WAY to much money in there.... But i spent it happily.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:42 PM 12-17-2011
I'm not sure there is a demographic for cigar sales. I've seen young kids buy Padrons and I've seen them buy CAO's. I've seen middle aged people by ACIDS and then some buy expensive non-flavored cigars.

I don't believe there is any correlation with age and what brand or type of cigar they like.

I tend not to make any prejudgments. Sometimes the 18-19 year old kids will really surprise you. Other times they might waste your time. Same with people of any age.
[Reply]
backwoods357 05:46 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by DaBear:
Typically after a few months you can pick out who is going to buy what based on age, gender, and even how they dress..
+1( on the other hand I have seen video on youtube of a middle-aged couple absolutely cleaning out a B&M (This one)) I guess you just can't trust anyone these days.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 05:54 PM 12-17-2011
Wow, I'm 53. It must be great to be 25 and know everything :-)
[Reply]
Ismith75 06:11 PM 12-17-2011
I witnessed this first hand when I started smoking. Im 22 now and things have changed drastically. Usually if you wait it out, people will warm up eventually.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 10:53 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
I never said I knew everything haha
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:00 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
Let me tell you, its awesome! :-)
[Reply]
ashtonlady 11:21 PM 12-17-2011
I was not 22 when I started smoking cigars. But being a female it was always interesting to see the reaction when I came into the shop. I dont like low end flavored cigars, and when I started they still thought that was all women smoked. That has changed. It will change for you too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up