Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>People underestimate you because of your Age?
BHalbrooks 11:14 PM 12-16-2011
I'm not sure how to word it. I'm 22, been smoking for about 1.5 years, give or take. At work today a guy was wearing a CAO New Era hat, and I was like, "That's a nice hat Man." He just looked at me and said, "It's a Cigar son..."
I said, "I know, I like their Italia, and their Brazilia. Their America is really nice too, but not worth the price." After saying that, his demeanor changed.

I get that a lot though. I'll go into a Cigar Store, and people tell me where the Hookah **** is, because I'm young. How ignorant.

Is this just me?
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 11:24 PM 12-16-2011
No...it's just the way people are. They see someone and immediately make a snap judgement of what and who they are....Judging a book by it's cover, is a common way to explain it.

It will happen a lot. just shine it on.

[Reply]
BHalbrooks 11:28 PM 12-16-2011
Yea when they point to the Hookah's I just kinda look where they're pointing, smile, and ask where the Cigars are.

Oh well :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:33 PM 12-16-2011
Imagine being old like me, and they point out the bong section.
[Reply]
AmsterDan 12:31 AM 12-17-2011
That sounds ignorant to me. Store clerks should give every customer, regardless of age, an equal service and take genuine interest in what the customer is looking for. If you are somewhat of a professional you know that since the customer will return this way. If you are not feeling comfortable because of the clerk's attitude, you might want to try another tobacconist where you are taken seriously from the get go, first time walking into the store.

My experience, first time walking into City Cigars in Vancouver as a beginner, was excellent. They greeted me and gave me a short introduction to their store outlay as they haven't seen me there before. Then they asked whether I would fancy a cup of coffee or thee while I was looking. They helped me choosing cigars and respected my choice of price point ... not very high back then because of my experience level, but they understood and supported that. Also, did they ask whether I had a humidor already. When I said yes, obviously not from their store, they handed me their humidor seasoning and maintenance/trouble shooting guide and told me they give all their humidor purchasing customers one. When I was about to leave, they included a cute little cigar journal to keep track of cigars I had smoked and whether I liked them, for future purchases. On request, they can keep a database for you for quick referencing next time you are in their store.

I left the store satisfied, with lots of useful information, a hand full of cigars, a journal and a humidor guide to set me up properly. This shows me that the owner and merchants care. They want to keep you as a customer. No pushing, no assumptions ... just genuine care for you and consequently their business.

This is just to show how your experience can be ... I would consider checking out another store.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 05:55 AM 12-17-2011
A view from someone who spent a decade in retail sales.

Once you've been in the trade for a few years, you can peg most anyone who walks into the store. My guess is that for each 22 YO cigar smoker, there are 99 22 year old Hookah smokers.

Is it "right?" No. But I understand where the retailer is coming from. He enjoys cigars and sells hookah stuff to the youngsters because it is a necessary evil of staying in business. Underneath, he is annoyed at the very thought of selling it because he would love to talk cigars all day.

Trust me. Once you get to know him, you will be one of his favorite customers because he knows you "break the rules." I will go so far as to say he'll treat you like a king.

:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 05:57 AM 12-17-2011
It will happen:-) When I first got into cigars I was told by some douchnozzle that I had to be 18 to buy cigars (I was 22 as well) before I even paid or was carded. I politely showed my ID and said "here you go Ahole and put these cigars back". I never went back to that B&M.
[Reply]
massphatness 06:06 AM 12-17-2011
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.

That's what Moe always tells me.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 06:41 AM 12-17-2011
Just wait until they start asking you if you qualify for the senior discount.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 07:01 AM 12-17-2011
Generally people don't respect "kids your age" unless you give them a reason to. Having a "respect me" attitude is not going to give them that reason. Tactfully letting them know that you're not full of crap is a good way to earn that respect. I think you handled the guy well.

The same goes for the cigar shops. Frequent them a couple of times, talk to the guys that work there, and pretty soon you'll be accepted.
[Reply]
maninblack 07:04 AM 12-17-2011
I sometimes still get this from people, even though I'm 34 and have been smoking cigars since I was 18. Thats ok though, because once I start talking cigars and they realize I'm more knowledgeable than they are, they shut up quickly or I gain their respect.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 08:40 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
you too!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:57 AM 12-17-2011
Happens to the best of us :-)
[Reply]
Taki 08:57 AM 12-17-2011
Being that young it will definitely happen...never really experienced yet being that I am 30 but every now and then when I walk into a shop I get the look from some of the older gentlemen that are sitting around but its very few and far between. Let it roll off your shoulders brother...you clearly know your Cigars and thats all that matters and if you need help thats what CA is for :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:59 AM 12-17-2011
That place wouldn't get my hard earned money. Plenty of other places to spend your cigar fundage.
[Reply]
Taki 09:04 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
That place wouldn't get my hard earned money. Plenty of other places to spend your cigar fundage.
Enough Said :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:07 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Someday you will look back and wish people still thought of as the young buck and not the old creepy guy ogling the college co-eds.
I was thinking the same thing!!!:-)
[Reply]
Taki 09:18 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
I was thinking the same thing!!!:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Apoco 09:30 AM 12-17-2011
I'm 23 and look 16 - so I'm in the same boat. Hell - I get carded for R-Rated movies.

Just :-) it off. I encounter it in more places than just a cigar shop. And after going to the cigar shop 3 times I stopped encountering it there. It is one of those problems that there isn't a solution for, I'm afraid. :-)
[Reply]
CigarGuy88 09:33 AM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
They clearly already know you Tom :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up