Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Diesel shorty
Don Fernando 11:32 AM 10-22-2010
When I first smoked the Diesel Unholy Cocktail I fell in love with these tasty full flavored, full bodied yet friendly priced cigars made by A.J. Fernandez so when this limited edition Shorty, especially made for reality TV star Shorty Rossi, came on the market I was intrigued and I needed to try them. Unfortunately they aren't available on the Dutch market, just like any other A.J. Fernandez blend, but a friend of mine got his hands on a box and gave me one at a herf we had last summer.

The shorty is a type of cigar made popular by Sam Leccia with his 'invention' of the nub, short and fat. This shorty is a 4½x60 cigar with a nice dark and oily wrapper with a few tough looking veins. This cigar looks bad ass due to that and the triple cap. The cigar has, just like most limited editions, a double band. The construction feels good but the predraw is loose. I taste a spicy and peppery tobacco flavor and I smell a barnyard aroma.

I get a lot of pepper with some coffee and after half an inch I taste wood with pepper, but the pepper isn't as overpowering as in the beginning.

After an inch and a half I also get some sticky chocolate with the wood and pepper. The pepper gains some strength again. The chocolate quickly disappears and is replaced with a little sweetness.

Even though this is only a 4½ inch cigar, it still lasted me almost an hour and a half. I got a lot of thick white smoke. The draw is good and the salt & pepper colored ash is firm. The burn is ok, I had to correct it a few times. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored, a little stronger than the Diesel Unholy Cocktail.

Would I buy this cigar again? I liked the Diesel Unholy Cocktail better, that will be my next box purchase and I'll leave the Shorty to those that love the big ring cigars, 60 is too much for me.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:01 PM 10-22-2010
Another superb review Ferdie!! :-)
[Reply]
bscottskangum 02:03 PM 10-22-2010
Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:06 PM 10-22-2010
just got one of these as a MAW.....looking forward to trying....thanks Ferdie
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 02:11 PM 10-22-2010
Great review Ferdie. :-)

I noticed the loose draw on these as well. It's a good smoke, but I'm with you as well, with a preference for the Unholy Cocktail.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 04:28 PM 10-22-2010
Nice review Ferdie.

I have to admit, I was not fond of the Diesel, I thought it was absolute crap, but the Shorty was different. I thought it had much more flavors and just an overall better smoke than the Diesel.
[Reply]
BTcigars 07:03 PM 10-22-2010
Good review, I just received one of these in a bomb and am really looking forward to trying it.
[Reply]
Louistogies 08:06 PM 10-22-2010
I bought a box not to long ago. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
papichulo 07:40 AM 11-07-2010
Great job Ferdie!!!
[Reply]
Knip23 12:49 PM 11-23-2010
Great Job Ferdie! I think im going to have to try this one, im a Fan of the 60 Ring Gauge.
[Reply]
Ratters 06:47 PM 11-23-2010
I thought the shorty tasted better too, but like Ferdi, I just don't like 60 ring gauge cigars.
[Reply]
KillerCelt 09:09 PM 11-25-2010
This is an extremely detailed review! A+++ job!
[Reply]
Up