I go to now and again, priced at 1000, owner says 800 takes it. I have
always liked this pattern, a Limited Edition from 2003. I can find them
new (as is this one) from 1000 to 3600 online. I don't really have 800 bucks
to throw around, but this DOES seem like a deal I should take. Any Dupont
lovers out there wish to chime in on the value of such a lighter based on the
facts that it is not a gift set item, even the pen and lighter only set. I am
not sure if this is one of 3000 or that is only with the two included in the
deluxe set. I really like the pattern. It is right in the middle of Dupon't
style from too gaudy to perfectly spare.
[Reply]
landhoney 02:31 PM 03-31-2010
Who are you and what have you done with the real OLS?

:-):-)
[Reply]
OLS 02:46 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
Who are you and what have you done with the real OLS?

:-):-)
That's the SECOND time you've said that and been right both times.
You thought it was only YOUR money I threw around? Remember the
fish humidor, lol.
[Reply]
landhoney 02:56 PM 03-31-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
Remember the
fish humidor, lol.
Remember it? I ended up buying three of them! <jk>:-):-)
[Reply]
wayner123 02:59 PM 03-31-2010
Does it come with all the boxes, paperwork, receipts, etc?
[Reply]
poker 03:25 PM 03-31-2010
If the B&M is an authorized ST Dupont retailer, I would assume it to be the real deal.

From what i know, its from a limited edition run back in 2003 and the lighter is one of 3000 made.

Personally 800 seems in line with what I would pay for it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:53 PM 03-31-2010
$800 sounds reasonable. It's a beauty for sure. Does it have the cigar tip? That will cost you $50. See if they'll do it for the $800. I do not think that price is out of line for such a well executed piece. Be careful with the laquer, one drop can be a heartbreaker. One the plated models, it just add character.

I just found out a childhood neighbor (next bus stop) was the creative director for ST Dupont! He now heads Brioni. I am going to catch up with him soon
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:07 AM 04-01-2010
$ 1000 for a lighter? You go big baller. :-)
[Reply]
SSDVC 03:51 PM 04-01-2010
That's one hell of a lighter !! A $1000 would buy a lot of sticks, expensive sticks at that. Then I would light them with my Ronson :-)

It does look nice, but if I ever bought one of those expensive lighters, with my luck, I would loose it in a week.
[Reply]
Christoff 03:55 PM 04-01-2010
From the thread title I thought there was a new STD discovered...phew
[Reply]
Goldie 10:47 PM 04-01-2010
You know how many Ronson's you could pull down with that cash? I kid, I kid.

Hey, if you have the means, more power to ya'!
[Reply]
kgoings 11:03 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by Christoff:
From the thread title I thought there was a new STD discovered...phew
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:04 PM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by Goldie:
with that cash? I kid, I kid.

Hey, if you have the means, more power to ya'!
Yup...though I paid less than that for the first 4 cars I owned. :-)
[Reply]
DBall 05:50 AM 04-02-2010
It's a lighter...

I can't imagine spending more than $5 tops on a lighter, man... I lose em like sunglasses
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:34 AM 04-02-2010
Buy a bunch of old a$$ cigars with that money. I use a $2.87 lighter and it works every time. If I lose one, it isn't a big deal :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:52 AM 04-02-2010
You guys are just seeing this as a "lighter". It's much more than that. It's an object of art. Something that has inherent value and once you light a cigar with a Dupont, then tell me it's just a lighter.

Why use a fancy ashtray when a cut PBR can or Quahog shell does the same thing? The ashtray inhances the whole exprierence, just like the lighter.

It's not about what is the most value for your money. Sure $800 buys a lot of cigars, but you have cigars, who cares? Buy those too. It's not "buy this or that". Maybe for him he can buy both? That being said, even very wealthy people do not want to spend more than they have to whether it's a gallon milk or an ST Dupont.

ST Dupont is one of the most highest luxury brands there is. True class that needs no introduction and just holding and using the lighter it is immediate that this is something special. Even if you hate cigars and never heard of ST Dupont, you will be impressed.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:59 AM 04-02-2010
It's not my style of lighter but it is definitely something to treasure.
[Reply]
DavenportESQ 10:03 AM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
You guys are just seeing this as a "lighter". It's much more than that. It's an object of art. Something that has inherent value and once you light a cigar with a Dupont, then tell me it's just a lighter.

Why use a fancy ashtray when a cut PBR can or Quahog shell does the same thing? The ashtray inhances the whole exprierence, just like the lighter.

It's not about what is the most value for your money. Sure $800 buys a lot of cigars, but you have cigars, who cares? Buy those too. It's not "buy this or that". Maybe for him he can buy both? That being said, even very wealthy people do not want to spend more than they have to whether it's a gallon milk or an ST Dupont.

ST Dupont is one of the most highest luxury brands there is. True class that needs no introduction and just holding and using the lighter it is immediate that this is something special. Even if you hate cigars and never heard of ST Dupont, you will be impressed.
Think rolex on this one..sure they're are millions of other watches out there, but theres only one Rolex
[Reply]
Scottw 10:13 AM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
It's a lighter...

I can't imagine spending more than $5 tops on a lighter, man... I lose em like sunglasses
:-) I bought 4 Ronsons two weeks ago and two are gone already. If I lost an $800 lighter, I'd kick my own ass.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:13 AM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Think rolex on this one..sure they're are millions of other watches out there, but theres only one Rolex
There are only few brands of lighters like this; Dunhill, Davidoff, & Caran D'Ache. ST Duponts makes the Davidoff's. All are equal in luxury & quality, but whether you like British, French or Swiss nameplates.

My favorite cigar lighter is the Dunhill trench torch lighter; oh my is that lighter something else! So is the price tag!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up