Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Bead Question
SSDVC 07:16 PM 03-25-2010
Ok, I have read all I can for right now, so I have to ask. As I have stated before, I am cheap. I got the Edgestar today for $120, with free shipping. Wife was OK with that. Then, because the credit card still looked dusty, I bought some drawers from Chuck. I told my wife I spent another $150 and now she is looking at shoes online.

Anyway, I am going to need humidification and I get it that beads are the way to go. I will slowly (as time and money permits) fill my dor with some decent sticks. I don't want to be bothered with constantly checking to make sure I am at 65%. I have priced out Heartfelt (1lb @ $30), Shilala (1lb @ $50) and Cigarmony (1lb @ $32).

I have been told that I will need between 2.5 and 3 lbs of beads for my Edgestar 28. I bought 2 single and 2 double glass topped and solid bottom drawers and two shelves.

Will I have to buy separate bead packs for each draw? Will this be in addition to the 2.5-3 lbs of beads you would normally need?

What would be my best buy for the long run? I am trying to watch my pennies and keep the wife from one upping me at Zappos. However, I want to do this once.

Thank you
[Reply]
G G 07:21 PM 03-25-2010
I believe then you have been told wrong about how many lbs you need. You need to get the INSIDE dimensions and get beads for that. I called Shilala when I got my vinotemp and told him what the dimensions were and he said that 1.5 lbs would cover it and it has perfectly. Lots of folks put way more than they need (and that's ok if it makes you feel better) but I have not had any problems with 3 of the 8 ounce Shilala beads in my vino.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:25 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by SSDVC:
Ok, I have read all I can for right now, so I have to ask. As I have stated before, I am cheap. I got the Edgestar today for $120, with free shipping. Wife was OK with that. Then, because the credit card still looked dusty, I bought some drawers from Chuck. I told my wife I spent another $150 and now she is looking at shoes online.

Anyway, I am going to need humidification and I get it that beads are the way to go. I will slowly (as time and money permits) fill my dor with some decent sticks. I don't want to be bothered with constantly checking to make sure I am at 65%. I have priced out Heartfelt (1lb @ $30), Shilala (1lb @ $50) and Cigarmony (1lb @ $32).

I have been told that I will need between 2.5 and 3 lbs of beads for my Edgestar 28. I bought 2 single and 2 double glass topped and solid bottom drawers and two shelves.

Will I have to buy separate bead packs for each draw? Will this be in addition to the 2.5-3 lbs of beads you would normally need?

What would be my best buy for the long run? I am trying to watch my pennies and keep the wife from one upping me at Zappos. However, I want to do this once.

Thank you
I've Only Used Shilala's Beads & I Love Them!:-) I Would Check Out Shilala's Site & PM Scott Or Michael For Any Questions. I Use Them In 3 Humidors & 3 Coolidors & All My Sticks Are Perfect @ 63-65 RH!:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 07:55 PM 03-25-2010
I use a pound of 65% Heartfelt beads in each of my 28btl Vinotemps without problems. :-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:55 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I've Only Used Shilala's Beads & I Love Them!:-) I Would Check Out Shilala's Site & PM Scott Or Michael For Any Questions. I Use Them In 3 Humidors & 3 Coolidors & All My Sticks Are Perfect @ 63-65 RH!:-)
:-)
[Reply]
nater 09:00 PM 03-25-2010
I have 1.5lbs in my 28 bottle edgestar, and I have no issues at all. My RH is rock solid at 64-66% with 65% beads. I will most likely pick up another pound to place in my drawers.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:04 PM 03-25-2010
I use two 8oz bags and one 4oz bag of Shilalas beads and keeps me rock steady at 64%. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:08 PM 03-25-2010
I have a calculator on my website (www.shilalasbeads.com/products.asp) where you can enter the dimensions of your vino. It will return the minimum amount of beads you need.

Many people (but not all) double this amount to add an extra buffer. If you open your humidor alot, or put in a lot of very wet or very dry cigars then the extra beads help the RH return the "normal" that much faster, but the extra beads are not required.

I use double the amount in my humidors (these are beads I purchased from Scott before I took over his business).
[Reply]
bonjing 11:50 AM 03-26-2010
would you recommend a bag for each drawer?
[Reply]
captain53 11:55 AM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by SSDVC:

Anyway, I am going to need humidification and I get it that beads are the way to go.

Thank you
Shilala Beads would be my choice and it takes 2# minimum (I use 2.5# and work wonderful) but the other two choices you are looking at have a great reputation. I prefer Shilala because less maintenance and they are very nicely packed for easy distribution in the cooler. Just do not go with some Ebay cat litter or such.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:35 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Not necessary. Even if you are using Chasden's drawers with the glass tops, they are not airtight. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:48 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Not necessary. Even if you are using Chasden's drawers with the glass tops, they are not airtight. :-)
Agreed -- it really depends on the airflow inside the Vino.
[Reply]
shilala 12:53 PM 03-26-2010
A pound and a half of Michael's (cigarnut) beads will keep an Edgestar right on the money for a lifetime.
The other beads work great, too, but they have a lifespan. It's kinda pay me now or pay me later. Add to it that the shilala beads recover way faster and hold lots more water, and it's pretty much a no brainer.
I guess it's not so much of a no brainer if your old lady is already fixin to kill you, though. :-)
[Reply]
Up