Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Possible new humidor
Goldie 09:38 AM 03-16-2010
Hello everyone,

I found what I think will be my next humidor, and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has converted a non-humidor item, into a humidor. Does that make sense?

Here's the deal, I found a nice wood end table, which will give me lots of storage, but the seller said the seal isn't great. So what is the best way to get the seal to be tight. I have read that weather stripping works, but I am borderline retarded when it comes to home improvement type items. So to put it bluntly, I need someone to tell me exactly what I need, so I don't screw this up.

Here are a few pics, and the Red Bull can is just for size reference.

[Reply]
CigarNut 10:18 AM 03-16-2010
That looks really cool and I am sure it will make a great humidor. Unfortuntely, I cannot tell you exactly what you need to do to seal it -- I just have some general knowledge (e.g., need some sort of weather stripping and a good latch).

PM Shilala -- I am sure he could offer some good suggestions!
[Reply]
Goldie 05:56 PM 03-16-2010
Thanks Michael. Will do.
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:12 PM 03-16-2010
As long as the door over-lays(the back of the door rests against the face frame of the cabinet when closed) , just get some thin weather stripping and apply it . I can't really tell from your photo's but it does look like an over lay door . Maybe line the interior with some Spanish cedar also . Good luck and Nice end table . :-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:29 PM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by Bubba - NJ:
As long as the door over-lays(the back of the door rests against the face frame of the cabinet when closed)...
It doesn't appear that it does. That makes it a bit tougher. Drew would need to make some rails and attach them to the back of the rails that are there, then place a seal, then a latch.
The rest of that thing will probably need plugged up, too. The seams aren't meant to hold air, and I'm sure they don't. Some silicone would fix that.
I'm not sure how I'd create a hold-down latch. That one is making me wonder. Probably a sash latch for windows.
It's gonna be a bear, but it'll be super cool when it's done. :-)
[Reply]
Up