Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Safe to use old lighter?
stearns 02:33 AM 03-16-2010
Hey,

I was at the flee market last weekend and found a really cool little lighter, picked it up for a euro hoping it would work. filled it up with vector and it lit like a champ (soft flame), and not only that but it lights every time i spark it, quite the novel idea.

on to my question. i have filled it, burned through the tank then re-filled it. at this point would the lighter be imparting any flavor on a cigar? it burns perfect, and would love to keep this little guy as a backup, or to use if i ever feel like using a soft flame. here are some pics for fun, i could only imagine what its seen

thanks for the help, happy smoking :-)

stearns
[Reply]
jaydub13 02:34 AM 03-16-2010
I don't see what it could impart... Does it have an unpleasant odor when you light it? Try it out on a cheapie and see, but I think you will be just fine.
[Reply]
stearns 02:42 AM 03-16-2010
no unpleasant odor, and no reason to think that it would, but i just wanted to double check with people with much more lighter knowledge than myself, wasnt sure if anything internally could impart flavor

stearns
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 05:16 AM 03-16-2010
Ben tell the truth, you just like to worry.

The lighter is cool man.
[Reply]
buttah 07:20 AM 03-16-2010
That is a pretty nifty little lighter.

I'm with everyone else, I don't see how it could impart any flavors if you're using good fuel.
[Reply]
nater 07:28 AM 03-16-2010
safe, yes... Any flavor potential? Only one way to tell!
[Reply]
NeverEnoughStick 07:58 AM 03-16-2010
After burning through the tank im sure you would have burn off any impurities. Another possible cleaning idea is to take some rubbing alcohol and clean the top where the flame comes out. Or use some compressed air to blow out all the particles. Thats what we do at the shop if the lighter won't work. Just my :-)

Anyway when come back across the pond I want to see that thing. Looks pretty cool! :-)
[Reply]
stearns 08:16 AM 03-16-2010
by 'safe' i only meant the flavor, i knew it wasnt dangerous. thanks for the confirmation fellas :-)

stearns
[Reply]
poker 08:38 AM 03-16-2010
Soft flame butane lighters will not impact any changes in a cigar other than to light it. Age of the lighter itself is irrelevant. As long as it holds butane without leaking, its all good.
[Reply]
taltos 12:20 PM 03-16-2010
Ben if it is butane, no problem, if fluid, let it burn off for a few seconds before lighting your cigar. Neat lighter.:-)
[Reply]
Up